Photo

PS5 May Be Fully Backwards Compatible

PS5 Backwards Compatible Compatibility

60 replies to this topic

#51 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,490 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 AM

It's where the world is going. Most people really don't think into the future beyond a few years. I won't buy digital until they've actually dealt with digital management of content/ownership. If I can't own something, I don't buy it. 

And yes, I understand I don't own the data on the games. But, I own the item itself which contains the game that will last years. It's not dependent on servers being online and HDDs not crashing. I always make sure the games I buy play/operate without updates. 

And yes, I know modern systems are basically computers and the next generations will be backwards compatible(more than likely). That's not the point as I'd just use my PC for digital. When consoles go digital, I'm out. I have no plans on buying an X or next Xbox. I won't support gamepass or forced digital. 

As for why Sony is still doing great with physical media....that's a good question if true. After owning all the consoles this generation(Wii U, Xbox One, PS4 Pro, Switch), I would say the PS4 feels the most like a gaming console. Most games play pretty quickly compared to the dumpster fire Xbox that takes hours to download a game. The OS feels like a game console and the store isn't that pushy unlike the Microsoft store. With the Xbox, if it dies I'll probably trade in the games and replace them with PS4 versions. I don't mind the graphics will take a slight hit, that's not the point of owning a console. It's ease of use and great games. Nintendo is Nintendo.

Forget the next generation... the current one offers a lot of conflicting media issues: if the current Sony/MS consoles just use discs for install, and are still heavily reliant on servers, is there an advantage to having discs? I want there to be one, but I'm struggling to see it.

#52 Outdoormongoose OFFLINE  

Outdoormongoose

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 PM

Forget the next generation... the current one offers a lot of conflicting media issues: if the current Sony/MS consoles just use discs for install, and are still heavily reliant on servers, is there an advantage to having discs? I want there to be one, but I'm struggling to see it.

I don't mind the function of downloading games to the HDD. Modern games are very large, complex, and the hard drive helps load data faster. The big con with that is digital games and updates are gone if the drive dies. 

I research games and almost never buy them new. I look for complete on disc games. 

The conflict is a conflict between business practices and ownership. It's far easier/cheaper for them to simply have the games on a server you download then have a physical they have to manufacture. Those servers can be re-purposed fairly easily while the maybe not so great selling game discs can't be. 

I really wish Gamestop would have started to push publishing/exclusivity of newer games and Indies. If there is no digital version of their games....

#53 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,490 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 PM

I don't mind the function of downloading games to the HDD. Modern games are very large, complex, and the hard drive helps load data faster. The big con with that is digital games and updates are gone if the drive dies. 

I research games and almost never buy them new. I look for complete on disc games. 

The conflict is a conflict between business practices and ownership. It's far easier/cheaper for them to simply have the games on a server you download then have a physical they have to manufacture. Those servers can be re-purposed fairly easily while the maybe not so great selling game discs can't be. 

I really wish Gamestop would have started to push publishing/exclusivity of newer games and Indies. If there is no digital version of their games....

It's not the installation of the games on the drive I mind... it's the fact that enough of the game has to be installed as a "patch" that the game can't reliably be played if the publisher disappears.

#54 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,728 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:44 PM

PS4 has been awesome.   Watching Hulu on it now and I sometimes play games on it.  :)

But if the PS5 is fully backwards compatible I might have a reason to buy another Playstation.

#55 Outdoormongoose OFFLINE  

Outdoormongoose

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:18 PM

It's not the installation of the games on the drive I mind... it's the fact that enough of the game has to be installed as a "patch" that the game can't reliably be played if the publisher disappears.

Gotcha. 

It's basically what I said up above. A good example is Rick and Morty VR.

Game works fine until an "update" killed the game at a certain point. Uninstalled, killed psn/updates, reinstalled and played. Worked like a charm after that so the game works fine without the publisher being around anymore. 

I really hope that, if it is backwards compatible, it isn't a cloud based system. Such as, the disc is just a cd-key for the game they made a cloud version of that works on the PS5. I don't actually view that as "backwards compatibility" as it is really just a digital version of the game. 

#56 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• 1,673 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 AM

My question is what is wrong with the current video game market. I probably had one hundred ps2 games, 125 ps3 games, and for the ps4 maybe 30. Am I old and not buying as many games for me or my kids? I don't buy Madden every year like I used to. And have not bought as many of the ps4 Lego games. I still bought every COD and Asassins Creed. Am I missing out on downloadable games? I am only seeing a handful of must have games a year for the ps4. Ninety percent of my games were bought during the current life of the console, which if Sony comes out with a new console in 2020 I would only be getting 5 to 10 more ps4 games. If the trend continues I would only buy 20 ps5 games at most.

Edited by Atari Dogs, Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 AM.

#57 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,430 posts

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 AM

That was my point. People think installing the game to the hdd is the same as downloading it. It's not. My ps4 is used primarily to play games, and so far, or the 40 or so games I have for it, none (outside of elder scrolls online) have required interaction with the internet at all.

On the other hand, the Xbox one, eh, as of yet, I haven't played a game yet from a disc. Yes I get the game disc, but it's literally just a key to download the game from the internet. None will even work initially until you hook up to the internet.

With your neck in our woods, requiring internet to even start a game is simply impractical, and to have to download it simply isn't happening. I've got no doubt digital does great, but there are ,believe it or not, still plenty of places where a console simply isn't going to sell it it can't be operated independent of the net.
  • jhd likes this

#58 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,974 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 AM

On the other hand, the Xbox one, eh, as of yet, I haven't played a game yet from a disc. Yes I get the game disc, but it's literally just a key to download the game from the internet. None will even work initially until you hook up to the internet.

In most cases this is false and what I think what you are confusing is the difference in how these systems operate. Both install every disc to the hard drive. The PS4 does it much more seamlessly.

Xbox One discs are not simply "keys", downloading is not mandatory (in most cases, like with the PS4 and Switch), and game data is actually on the disc.

When you insert a disc into the Xbox One, if there is an update available, it simply asks you if you want to do so. If you see a pop-up, you can select "Update later" and install the game from the disc as usual. When you go to play the game, chances are it will ask to update again, but like before simply decline it.

I've even tested two previously uninstalled games (but now re-installed, thanks) to demonstrate it.

Shadow Warrior has no patches, so it installs entirely from the disc:

xbox one game install.png

Ryse: Son of Rome has an update, but again, you can choose to ignore it. It then installs the game from the disc and doesn't touch the internet. The game is fully playable without an update:

xbox one game install2.png

Note that it is generally recommended to update in this day and age. Patches often include bug fixes, performance improvements, or other useful features. If you buy games on disc, you will (in most cases) get a functioning game. I've brought it up before but I'll say it again: Tony Hawk 5 is probably the most infamous example I can think of from this generation where the disc was basically a key and 95% of the content had to be downloaded. This is the exception to the rule and both the PS4 and the Switch have the same (or similar) examples of mandatory downloads.

Also, on the Xbox One side, I have noticed that if you update during the disc installation, sometimes it will just download the whole thing from the internet. This is considerably faster for some of us than installing from the disc itself but it is not mandatory.

Edited by Austin, Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:32 AM.

#59 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,210 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 AM

I just wish Sony would support the Vita for a few more years. It’s a lovely system.

#60 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,974 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 AM

When you insert a disc into the Xbox One, if there is an update available, it simply asks you if you want to do so. If you see a pop-up, you can select "Update later" and install the game from the disc as usual. When you go to play the game, chances are it will ask to update again, but like before simply decline it.

Correction: I tested Ryse since it does have an update. Instead of giving an "update later" option like it does on the install, it gives a "cancel" option and backs out of the game when selected. Putting my system into "offline mode" via the system network settings fixed it and the message no longer pops up, allowing me to play the game. While this is annoying for users connected to a network, the point is if you are not, the data does in fact come on the disc and you can play the game without being connected to the internet.

#61 cybercylon OFFLINE  

cybercylon

River Patroller

• 2,651 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:37 PM

I think where the game is released in chapters like the Tell Tale games, you get the first chapter on the disc, and the rest is download once the other chapters are available. I doubt this is unique to the Xbox One though... I assume it works the same way for the PS4 version.

I can't think of the games that are like this off of the top of my head.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS5, Backwards Compatible, Compatibility

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users