IGNORED

MyDos 16MB ATR, how to extract/copy off files?

E474

Hi

I have created a 16MB ATR for MyDos (4.534), and it boots fine (see attachment), but I can't figure out how to get large files out of the disk image.

I can't copy them to an enhanced density disk (physical or ATR), as MyDos has its own 1040 sector file format, I think the same goes for DD disks too. Even if I could copy them to a physical disk, or standard sized ATR, I'll still be creating files larger than a DD disk, so this path probably won't work anyway.

There don't seem to be any Linux tools that will extract files from an arbitrary large MyDos ATR (and I'm not sure there are any tools that will work with sub-directories either).

I was hoping to be able to use the Linux atari800 emulator (the emulator will read the big ATR perfectly), and then copy the files to a folder accessible on H1:, but writing to H1: doesn't seem to work with MyDos. So I can make very large files on MyDos (>90K), but can't copy them onto a PC.

Is there an obvious work-around? I am using sio2bsd to emulate drives with ATRs, and it seems to work fine, though it seems to have some issues with high-speed/DD loaders such as Alpha-Load, and possibly SpartaDos, which probably complicates things. Also, the atari800 emulator is version 3.1.0, if that helps.

Most of the time I use atrcopy for extracting files from ATR images, but it doesn't handle big ATR files.

Any help would be appreciated!

big_mydos_disk.zip

Hi!

Hi

I have created a 16MB ATR for MyDos (4.534), and it boots fine (see attachment), but I can't figure out how to get large files out of the disk image.

I can't copy them to an enhanced density disk (physical or ATR), as MyDos has its own 1040 sector file format, I think the same goes for DD disks too. Even if I could copy them to a physical disk, or standard sized ATR, I'll still be creating files larger than a DD disk, so this path probably won't work anyway.

There don't seem to be any Linux tools that will extract files from an arbitrary large MyDos ATR (and I'm not sure there are any tools that will work with sub-directories either).

I was hoping to be able to use the Linux atari800 emulator (the emulator will read the big ATR perfectly), and then copy the files to a folder accessible on H1:, but writing to H1: doesn't seem to work with MyDos. So I can make very large files on MyDos (>90K), but can't copy them onto a PC.

Is there an obvious work-around? I am using sio2bsd to emulate drives with ATRs, and it seems to work fine, though it seems to have some issues with high-speed/DD loaders such as Alpha-Load, and possibly SpartaDos, which probably complicates things. Also, the atari800 emulator is version 3.1.0, if that helps.

Most of the time I use atrcopy for extracting files from ATR images, but it doesn't handle big ATR files.

Any help would be appreciated!

atr2unix -m BDCAP.atr
From https://github.com/spicyjack/Atari-8bit/blob/master/source/atr2unix-1.2.c

Have fun!

there aren't any files in the image, it is a bootable mydos 4.53/4- 16mb high capacity drive with ramdiskd, only files on it are dos.sys dup.sys and myrd2.ar0

certainly nothing that couldn't be copied, you can in fact use it to format a disk, write the dos files and copy the ramdisk driver over. All done using the menu options of mydos itself

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

There must be AspeQt/RespeQt for Linux? there's the "Show properties..." option on a mounted disk image, where you can view the directory contents for various DOS formats, including MyDOS.

You can simply drag files in/out of the presented window.

post-53052-0-53665800-1549666665.png

You might want to get a newer version of the emulator also..

The older version does not do credit to the H1: drive like the newer versions.

Also the copy convention should be used.

C FILENAME.EXT H1:FILENAME.EXT

C H1:FILENAME.EXT D:FILENAME.EXT

Edited by rdea6

The times I need to do disk operations on MyDOS I always use Tom's Navigator. You can hopefully find it somewhere online.

Btw. make sure you do not copy DOS system files to MyDOS otherwise it won't boot again. And do not copy dos system files using Tom's navigator, otherwise those files will grow and grow.

I do not want to start any flaming discussion about MyDOS, but if you are looking for big partition DOS, I would say: do not use MyDOS. It's simply no good. It works, yes, but that is it.

If you have to rely on it, because you are used to it, no problems of course. And I also understand there is a difference in tase, and who am I to tell other people what they should use or not. Indeed. It is not up to me.

But from my experience with large partitions I can say: stay away from MyDOS.

• Like 2

Alas, even the latest version of Toms Navigator seems to be buggy when working with 16MB MyDOS images, i.e. when copying files onto 16MB MyDOS images it shows wrong number of free sectors and parts of the copied file(s) is (are) only garbage.* But maybe it works without bugs when copying files from a MyDOS 16MB image onto smaller images... (the bugs seem not to be there, when using small MyDOS formats like 90k/130k/180k/etc.). So use Toms Navigator with caution or simply use another filecopy program like e.g. Professional Copy 2.x, Atari Commander 1.81, etc.

http://www.atarionline.pl/utils/6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek/Professional%20Copy/Professional%20Copy%202.0%20program%20instalacyjny.xex

http://madteam.atari8.info/uzytki/ac181.zip

*BigBen (Bernd) found out several years ago, when copying his 4MB flashcart images onto an 8MB or 16MB MyDOS image. I have not noticed this myself, since I use Prof. Copy or Atari Cmd. on the Atari for copying very large files or simply copy those files over on the PC with MakeATR 0.6 and similar programs...

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I played around with the atari800 emulator a bit more and found that copying *.* to H1: would fail, but copying *.* to H: worked without problem (so far). This even worked from sub-directories, which was good news. What is weird is that if I try to get a directory listing of H:/H1: I just get 999 free sectors, but none of the files I have copied over are listed (which when they copy, copy perfectly) - but I have not tried very hard to figure out if there is an easy solution.

On the other hand, I now know about atr2unix, Tom's Navigator, Professional Copy 2.x, Atari Navigator and using AspeQt/RespeQt on Linux (I am still using sio2bsd as I do most things from the command line). I will also try the new atari800 v4.0 to see if that works even better.

I haven't had any problems with MyDos so far, the only thing that would be nice would be faster I/O, but on the other hand it seems to play nice with sio2bsd, and being able to use a 16MB ATR is also pretty good. Also, the ramdisk driver works fine with the SysCheck card on 4.534, but the same ramdisk driver doesn't seem to work/load on 4.55(beta 4?), so I am sticking with 4.534 until I can get a ramdisk to work on 4.55. I think the only other Dos's that could work with 16MB ATRs are RealDos (but I think I tested it, and it didn't work with sio2bsd - but I am not 100% sure of this, as it was a while ago), and SpartaDos X, which I think is cartridge only, and which I don't have. If there are any other Dosses that work with 16MB ATRs, please comment with their names (and maybe how well they work?). One thing that is a plus about MyDos 4.534 is that it can be used with dir2atr, which is very handy for automating building ATRs. Also, MyDos supports XIO directory commands that are compatible with SpartaDos, which is a plus.

MyDos handles 1040 sector disks differently than DOS 2.5, I think it uses all 1040 sectors, not just the first 1024, but I am not sure of the details. This means if you format a disk for dos in Enhanced Density, DOS 2.5 can't read it. I think if you format a disk in Double Density (256 bytes/sector), the layout is the same as used by other DOSses, but I don't know which other DOSses actually support true Double Density (if that makes sense).

Thanks again for the help, any other suggestions along the lines of extracting (large) files from a 16MB (MyDos) ATR would also be appreciated!

SpartaDOS 3.x will handle 16MB partitions perfectly well. As far as the end user is concerned, RealDOS is basically just SpartaDOS 3.x with some different tools, prompts, messages, etc.

Any DOS which supports SDFS (the SpartaDOS file system) is going to have an easier job of handling large files owing to the more sensible file system design (MYDOS must iterate through an entire file in order to delete it; SpartaDOS just unlinks the sector map, which is vastly more efficient when removing huge files). SDFS's time/date stamping is also rather useful on hard disk partitions, as is the provision of sane current working directory and directory tree navigation facilities.

SpartaDOS X, meanwhile, can now handle 512 byte sectors and thus 32MB partitions and disk images.

• Like 5

Hi,

I tried loading an ATR of SpartaDos 3.2g, but it doesn't work with sio2bsd (on a Raspberry Pi). I get:

$ sio2bsd ./Spartados\ 3.2g\ \[fte\].atr
D1: 720 sectors, 92160 bytes total, mounted on ./Spartados 3.2g [fte].atr
PERCOM: trk 40, step 3, spt 18, heads 1, bps 128, flags 00 (SMALL-FM-5.25INCH)
PCLink directory filter allows lower case names
Serial port: /dev/ttyAMA0
POKEY quartz 1781618.500000 Hz and HS Index 0 constant 7.186100 is assumed
Default speed: HSINDEX=40 (19200 bits/sec.)
Default turbo: HSINDEX=0 (123963 bits/sec.)
User selected: HSINDEX=0 (123963 bits/sec.)
0 -> 'S': $31, $53, $0000 ($84)
1 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0001 ($84)
2 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0002 ($85)
3 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0003 ($86)
4 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0020 ($a3)
5 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0021 ($a4)
6 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0022 ($a5)
7 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0023 ($a6)
8 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0024 ($a7)
9 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0025 ($a8)
10 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0026 ($a9)
11 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0027 ($aa)
12 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0028 ($ab)
13 -> 'R': $31, $52, $0029 ($ac)
14 -> 'R': $31, $52, $002a ($ad)
15 -> 'R': $31, $52, $002b ($ae)
16 -> 'R': $31, $52, $002c ($af)
17 -> 'R': $31, $52, $002d ($b0)
18 -> '?': $31, $3f, $0004 ($74)

This is on a stock 800XL, with a SysCheck 2 card plugged in. I have noticed that sio2bsd also doesn't work with AlphaLoad disks.

It looks like MyDos is the only DOS that works with large ATRs and sio2bsd.

Unfortunately I couldn't get MyDos 4.55 (beta 4) to work with the ramdisk driver MYRD2.AR0 - I've attached an ATR of MyDos 4.55 + ramdisk driver, is there anything I should do to get it to work?

Thanks again for the help!

MyDos455.atr

Hello E474

Since I haven't set up my Atari, I tried your ATR in the latest version of Atari800MacX. Double clicked on the ATR -> Atari800MacX is loaded -> READY -> DOS -> S (set Ramdisk nr) -> 9 -> L (load file) -> "*AR0" (that's an asterisk) -> H (write DOS to disk) -> quit Atari800MacX -> restart -> MyRD2 runs automatically.

Sincerely

Mathy

It seems that spartados switches to high speed sio which is causing the issues on your setup. Can you set the sio2bsd to a higher pokey divisor. Try 6 or 7.

If that is not possible try to find spartados 3.3a ... It lacks high speed sio so that is slow but a good test.

• Like 1

Hi,

I tried loading an ATR of SpartaDos 3.2g, but it doesn't work with sio2bsd (on a Raspberry Pi). I get:

Unfortunately I couldn't get MyDos 4.55 (beta 4) to work with the ramdisk driver MYRD2.AR0 - I've attached an ATR of MyDos 4.55 + ramdisk driver, is there anything I should do to get it to work?

Thanks again for the help!

You need to use the 'O' option to set ramdisk type and save 'H' 1 so next boot ramdisk will be there --------Usually D8: but sometimes I use D9: as ramdisk..

Hello E474

MyRD(2) should work with MyDOS 4.55 beta 4.

BTW have you tried copy with verify?

Sincerely

Mathy

Yeah, it should - but it doesn't !

That's why I am using one of the older 4.53 or 4.54 MyDOS versions again. Afair, MyRD-2 did not work with any of the beta versions of MyDOS 4.55 (beta1-beta4)...

Will try rdea6's tip now, allthough I think I already did that...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Hi!

Thanks again for the help, any other suggestions along the lines of extracting (large) files from a 16MB (MyDos) ATR would also be appreciated!

I think that the best "disk" DOS for large disks is BW-DOS, you can download at http://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/pages/dos/dos.other.htm#BWDOS

It is compatible with SpartaDOS but smaller and a little faster.

Attached is a 16MB ATR with the full BW-DOS distribution (program and manual).

Have fun!

bwdos-16m.zip