IGNORED

HSC16 Round 2: Lode Runner

Just checking that you know you can press Ctrl-A to kill off a stuck man :)

O.K., I didn´t know that "trick"... namely I tried all keys except <RESET>, but didn´t try <CTRL>-combinations... :P

I hope I remember next time... :D

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1

With one hour to go here are the Very Nearly Final tables, it's conrgatiultions to RedThunder for the win with and incredible feat of reaching level 114 out of the 151? there are. Deteacher also posting an impressive level 90 takes runner up spot.

I've given out a few bonus points for screens created and epic performances. Looks like slx Jr. will soon be climbing the rankings! pusakat if you do finish that go you can post it late ;)

Lode Runner holds up very well and remains challenging, they could have programmed it to make sure you got to top of the escape ladder but I'm being picky! And we now have the 50 level disk Deteacher posted for another time :thumbsup:

Good to see so many players, hope to see you all in round 3 :arrow:

Lode Runner

Very Nearly Final tables (play for level reached)

1st RedThunder 114 1,036,650 14pts :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2nd Deteacher 90 428,975 13pts :thumbsup:

3rd therealbountybob 33 291,500 10pts
4th Sleepy 29 216,725 9pts
5th slx 27 172,800 9pts
6th pusakat 21 115,100 8pts
7th Marius 20 151,175 8pts
8th graywest 17 120,800 7pts
9th McKong 16 100,000 7pts
10th slx Jr. 14 88,050 6pts
11th Gury 9 59,275 6pts
12th youxia 6 30,000 5pts
13th skr 6 42,025 5pts
14th roadrunner 6 38,525 4pts
15th carlsson 5 30,250 4pts :thumbsup:
16th Sikor 4 29,475 2pts
17th jblenkle 2 8,175 2pts
:thumbsup: = bonus points

• Like 1

Awesome game. I must confess, I did play the game a lot over the last two weeks. Probably played it more than I did in the 80's.

Couple more days and I reckon I would of cracked the 150. But DES was a pain

The game play and collision detection IMO is flawless and as a platformer the best one out there, even now.

Maybe a 360 degree version should be done on modern hardware :)

Cant wait for 1984.

Notes:
Rubbish levels in IMO are any you got to wait for the guards to pick up treasure from a un-accesable area. Gets tedious.

After a while you can get used to the AI as such. And you maintain a say 10 life buffer you can go a long way. Say lose a couple of life on one level and get a couple of easy levels and your back.

Unless you meet DES. We need to find out who DES is ? :)

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 3

Ok, since nobody guessed which game my screens were borrowed from, here's the link. Those guys are not as smart as the ones in Lode Runner, though on the other hand you can't dig holes, just throw dirt balls at them.

:thumbsup:

Do you guys remember what you did on that nasty level (was it lv30) that looked like this:

------------------=

=

\-----------/ =

=

\--------/ =

=

\------/ =

--=

----------------=

Yes that's exactly what it looked like :D It took me a lot of men :twisted:

• Like 1

Awesome game. I must confess, I did play the game alot over the last two weeks. Probably played it more than I did in the 80's.

Couple more days and I reckon I would oc cracked the 150. But DES was a pain

If it keeps a 2010s teenager playing for more than a courtesy try, it must be good ;) slxjr does not fancy everything served on HSC but this one was a natural, maybe because of the block-level similarity to Minecraft.

I mostly enjoyed playing although sometimes it's tedious to repeat most of a level just because something went wrong on the last few ingots. This game would greatly benefit from a "rewind" feature like braid (although that's probably asking a bit much for an 80's game.) or some kind of continue feature within a level. While it may be true retro spirit, at age 33 (hex, that is) I find myself tipping increasingly into an old man's mindset that I don't have enough time left to endlessly repeat sequences I know how to tackle just to give the challenge beyond them another try ...

• Like 1

Those ASCII graphics remind me of Ladder, which I also considered converting levels from but those require you to jump which we can't in Lode Runner.

nice, I remeber when Gwobby was just a "Q" :D

What?! jumping in a platform game, that will never catch on :D

slx - at least with ctrl-U you can skip through the levels, might be worth looking at that LR utility disk to see how easy it is to move a set of levels around then you could split the game up.

go DES, he's a friend of ULF :thumbsup:

L30

The waiting for Guards to collect level. Slow level and advanced Guard wrangling.

Someone has done video on YouTube...

Ahh *waiting* on that ledge and luring them to the side was the trick I missed, no wonder it cost me 10 lives!! Seems to get more respawns at the top left on the apple version which makes it easier too :ponder: