IGNORED

.ATR help needed!

davidcalgary29

You can use altirra to add a blank 1mbit or 8mbit atarimax flashcart, and it will virtually program it from the ATR flashtool. You can then save the ROM. Maybe the!cart can use the resulting ROM file.

I didn't realize that Altirra could do this (although I probably should have) but, yeah, The!Cart should be able to run the resulting .ROM or .CAR image. This is a very good idea.

Edited by SS

I didn't realize that Altirra could do this (although I probably should have) but, yeah, The!Cart should be able to run the resulting .ROM or .CAR image. This is a very good idea.

This trick has given me a new batch of additions for my Ultimate Cart. Many of the compilations from the AtariMax forums are ATR flashers only, and I was able to make ROMs from them.

Also nice, since the flashing process can take 5-10 minutes, you can use 'warp speed' in altirra to get the job done in like 30 seconds. :)

Altirra is also nice for making CARs from ROMs where ultimate cart won't auto-detect the correct mode. (And having some confidence that your choice was correct, since you will see if it works in the emulator first)

• Like 1

I don't have a The!Cart, but in 2013 JAC! wrote about a very applicable feature added to The!Cart Studio in a previous thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/?p=2879996

"Existing collections for 128 KB or 1 MB Maxflash cartridges are often only available as "ATR Programming Image" but not as "CAR" cartridge images. Therfore a conversion for Maxflash Studio ATR programming images to "CAR" cartridge images has been added. This way you can even test the collection directly in an emulator."

• Like 2

As said, you can always see what the atr is like in Altirra, just go to FILE and select in Attach Special Cartridge an appropriate Maxflash cart, boot that disk and say Y :)

You can save the now flashed cart from the same file menu..

Small time saver hint..Hold F1 during the flash to speed it up, won't affect the flash...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1