Photo

Atari XE light gun issue

18 replies to this topic

#1 shear_xear OFFLINE  

shear_xear

Chopper Commander

• 112 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 PM

Hi everyone! I have an Atari XEGS, and the light gun that came with it seems to have some problems. Im trying to use it with Crossbow on the 7800, but it only works when a few inches from the screen. The screen will flash when the trigger is pulled, but the crosshair only shows when next to the screen. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks!

#2 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,581 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:22 PM

it will not work with an LCD. Only a good ol CRT monitor or TV.

Oh, but you mentioned it worked close to the screen, so  that implies you are using a CRT?

#3 shear_xear OFFLINE  

shear_xear

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 PM

Yeah, Im using a CRT.

#4 power OFFLINE  

power

Chopper Commander

• 178 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 PM

is it actually compatible with the 7800? Does it function normally on your XEGS?

Edited by power, Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 PM.

#5 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,169 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 PM

is it actually compatible with the 7800? Does it function normally on your XEGS?

Cue for joke! Yes, the unloved XG-1 is compatible with all of Atari’s consoles. And no, it doesn’t work well on any of them. Even if you get the hardware issue sorted out — and it sounds like there’s a problem with the gun — they tend to be wildly inaccurate. I was able to get pretty consistent scores on XE Barnyard Blaster by holding mine about a foot away from my CRT. Just get a modded Sega lightgun.

#6 power OFFLINE  

power

Chopper Commander

• 178 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 PM

Cue for joke! Yes, the unloved XG-1 is compatible with all of Atari’s consoles. And no, it doesn’t work well on any of them. Even if you get the hardware issue sorted out — and it sounds like there’s a problem with the gun — they tend to be wildly inaccurate. I was able to get pretty consistent scores on XE Barnyard Blaster by holding mine about a foot away from my CRT. Just get a modded Sega lightgun.

fair enough, i have an XEGS and gun, it wasn't that great but did work was not 100% aligned but worked well enough. not as good as my Saturn gun but functional it wasn't "wildly inaccurate" was just out of alignment so you'd shoot to the right a bit was like that from new. But hey, they were cheap guns and at the time a pretty cool addition especially as my bundle came with two different games for it. Maybe the OP's connection isn't great due to age, that might explain it - would be very hard to clean though. Maybe spray some contact cleaner into the holes or something.

Edited by power, Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 PM.

#7 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,169 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 PM

Also depends on the game. Crossbow XE isn’t too bad with the XG-1, but Barnyard Blaster...yeesh. They just should have called that one “Don’t Shoot Gramps!” :)

#8 power OFFLINE  

power

Chopper Commander

• 178 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 PM

Also depends on the game. Crossbow XE isn’t too bad with the XG-1, but Barnyard Blaster...yeesh. They just should have called that one “Don’t Shoot Gramps!” :)

only played Crossbow and the bug one.

#9 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,169 posts

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 PM

Well, Crime Buster and Crossbow are by far the best XE light games, so you’ve played half of the XG-1’s greatest hits library of two.

#10 Fred_M ONLINE  

Fred_M

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 AM

Don't forget Operation Blood for the lightgun ;) It is great!

#11 pjbramley OFFLINE  

pjbramley

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 AM

Is it possible to convert the light guns to work on modern TV's/Monitors?

#12 Fred_M ONLINE  

Fred_M

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:03 AM

Not easily.... More info in this topic: http://atariage.com/...figured-it-out/

#13 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,169 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 AM

Don't forget Operation Blood for the lightgun ;) It is great!

Ooh...and I did. You’re right — it is a great game.

#14 shear_xear OFFLINE  

shear_xear

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 AM

Ok. Im only mildly interested in the light gun games, so I might just accept it does work and move on. Thanks!

#15 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,169 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 PM

And you can play Crossbow on the 7800 with a joystick, unless I'm mistaken.

#16 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

River Patroller

• 2,626 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 PM

Hi everyone! I have an Atari XEGS, and the light gun that came with it seems to have some problems. Im trying to use it with Crossbow on the 7800, but it only works when a few inches from the screen. The screen will flash when the trigger is pulled, but the crosshair only shows when next to the screen. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks!

It could also be that you need to turn up your brightness or contrast on your TV, or you have too much ambient light reflecting on the screen.

#17 manterola OFFLINE  

manterola

Moonsweeper

• 284 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 PM

It could also be that you need to turn up your brightness or contrast on your TV, or you have too much ambient light reflecting on the screen.

Or the light gun "window" is dirty. I also read here in AtariAge that painting the gun barrel mate black inside helps with the precision by eliminating reflections. Reflections supposedly make the gun and the Atari to detect the electron beam too early and offset the pointing position of the gun.

Edited by manterola, Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 PM.

#18 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,257 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 PM

lol a remember a heavy smoker who's lens was full of tar glued dust, it had to be soaked and carefully cleaned to make it work again...

#19 shear_xear OFFLINE  

shear_xear

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 PM

Ok. I will darken the inside of the barrel and clean that lense. Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users