IGNORED

Who's going to CGE?

punkoffgirl

That is correct. AtariAge invested quite a bit of time and money into their AGE show just two weeks ago. So they didnt't have enough time to do that and CGE. Luckily they will be able to attend the OKGE in September and the Philly Classic 5 next year.

CGE was fun, attendance was a bit on the light side this year (I estimate about 900 people) but I still had a blast. For the first time in 15 years I actually got to play a real Cloak & Dagger machine, and to me that was worth the price of admission alone. Seeing all my friends (and making some new ones) was the best part of all though IMHO. Of course seeing Nolan and having him sign my program comes in a close second. :)

Tempest

CGE was fun, attendance was a bit on the light side this year (I estimate about 900 people) but I still had a blast.  For the first time in 15 years I actually got to play a real Cloak & Dagger machine, and to me that was worth the price of admission alone.  Seeing all my friends (and making some new ones) was the best part of all though IMHO.  Of course seeing Nolan and having him sign my program comes in a close second. :)

Tempest

I don't have an official "attendance number" but it was over 1400 since that's all the badges we had and they were gone early afternoon Sunday. Counting up those numbers are someone else's job though. Personally it would have been just as great with 900 or 500 or 125 people - the energy at the show was something I have never experienced before. The buzz with Bushnell, the presence of "modern day" exhibitors like Ubi Soft and Midway, the increased notoriety of the CGE museum, the music... I'm on a high that will take a long time to drift down from. And if anyone remembers, last year I went into hibernation after the show. This year I'm CHARGED UP.

Detailed recaps, photo galleries, etc. later.

Thanks to all who attended! We have some more huge news for you coming very soon :)

I'm still suffering from Jet-Lag after arriving back home at 11pm last night after 4 days in Vegas. Observations:

1) I thought the attendance was a little sparse from what I've read about past events. I had no trouble at all getting around to the vendors, playing the games, going thru the museum, etc etc. After reading about past CGE's and this years AGE I thought it would be a mass of bodies and a battle to buy or play anything but it was actually very easy to get around and do whatever you wanted.

2) Seemed to be less vendors than what I've read about in the past, but the ones that were that had an excellent selection of products. I spent waaaay too much but don't regret it (I'll get used to sleeping on the couch in a few days). I got some real good deals (Bounty Bob for the 8bit for $40!) and the vendors were all very nice and helpful. Carl Forhan and Songbird were excellent and I must have spent an hour talking to Carl and Gordon, along with buying Protecter, Jag Ad's, and Painter. The Intellivision people were GREAT also! Atari 2600.com was VERY overpriced ($165 for Powerlords??? $85 for Diner???), in my opinion, and I passed their booth quickly. Telegames had a good selection but no show deals at all; everything I saw was being sold for exactly what they charge on their website.

3) The hotel was nice and the show was very well laid out. Nice job by the CGE people and any others who set everything up.

4) I attended some of the speakers talks and enjoyed them. Getting autograph's was very, very nice.

5) My one BIG complaint: the vendors have got to start taking credit cards!! I would have spent alot more if the vendors had accepted them but the vast, vast majority of them didn't. For example, I wanted to spend $250 at the CGE booth for games; they didn't take credit cards so I went downstairs to an ATM machine to draw a cash advance on my CC (promised my wife I wouldn't touch the bank account). The ATM would give me the money but wanted a $23 fee for doing so!! NO WAY I was paying that so in the end the vendors lost sales from me because they wouldn't or couldn't take CC's.

My first CGE and I enjoyed it. I will go back next year, if my wallet allows.

Mendon

Thanks for the link, Randy. I'll have to wait a few days to post my photos; I have to send the film out, as I'm scanner-challenged :)

I'm not sure why people think attendance was light. I was there last year as well, and I can tell you Saturday morning was pretty packed. Not just the line of people waiting to get in before the show opened, but just the constant stream of people coming in the door. I spent quite a bit of time behind the CGE and DP booths, which were right inside the doors, so I had a pretty good view. When you consider the size of the floor space, and the wideness of the isles, having to manuver your way through people standing makes for quite a few people there. Perhaps it was this year's set-up; getting rid of the concession section inside the show floor freed up a lot of space. The only times I could call things on the floor "slow" were during Nolan's keynote, and first thing Sunday morning.

I'm not sure why people think attendance was light

Well as an attendee of now three CGE's I can say the the attendance of this years show definetly seemed much lighter than in years past. I really don't see how Joe can come up with 1400 unless he's counting the number of people that attended each day and not simply all the unique people who attended the show (whether it was one day or two). My estimate (and many other people I talked to) seem to all average around 800 to 900 people. Of course all our estimates were simply based on the bodies that we saw walking by, we didn't stop people and see if they were new to the show on Sunday or if they had a weekend pass.

This isn't to say that CGE wasn't a great show or anything, I just can't see how there were 1400 people there. That estimate seems way on the high side IMHO.

Tempest

I'm not sure why people think attendance was light

Well as an attendee of now three CGE's I can say the the attendance of this years show definetly seemed much lighter than in years past. I really don't see how Joe can come up with 1400 unless he's counting the number of people that attended each day and not simply all the unique people who attended the show (whether it was one day or two).

Umm... see my previous explanation, above, for the explanation.

I'm more curious as to how you came up with 900. Did you count them by hand? What if people move around a lot? Did you count the people in the bathroom? How about Jaime, who was hiding under the table for an hour or two? What about people who were camoflaged?

If attendance is really important to you, just wait until you hear what we're up to next! You'll have as big a crowd as you want :)

700, tops. I don't understand how an argument can develop about attendance, anyway. I had a ball. That's all that counts. Go on, fight amongst yourselves. :twisted:

Is the big news regarding CGE's move to San Francisco next year, to merge with California Extreme or whatever they're called?

I'm more curious as to how you came up with 900. Did you count them by hand? What if people move around a lot? Did you count the people in the bathroom? How about Jaime, who was hiding under the table for an hour or two? What about people who were camoflaged?

If you read my post I said it was an estimate I made by just walking around and mentally counting people. While it's not scientific by any means, I think I can make a fairly reasonable estimate. Feel free to disagree if you want.

If attendance is really important to you

No it's really not, but you seem to be hung up on it. To me the quality of the show is the most important thing and I never said that CGE wasn't a quality show (I had alot of fun). I've been to big shows that suck and small shows that rock. Attendance has nothing to do with it.

just wait until you hear what we're up to next! You'll have as big a crowd as you want

Ah yes San Fransico... I'm sorry to say that if CGE leaves Vegas I will not be attending. You've got a great thing going in Vegas, I don't know why you'd want to move it but that's your prerogative I guess.

Tempest

From what I heard, there are a few reasons behind this. Space is a big one, especially in Vegas. You can't get bigger if there's not enough room for it.

Location is pretty important, too. Most of the speakers/programmers live in California, and if you can get more to come by moving just that much closer to them, then I think it would be a good thing. The exact town doesn't matter much to me, I have to fly across the country to get there either way. The more places it moves to, the more new places I get a chance to visit :)

From what I heard, there are a few reasons behind this.  Space is a big one, especially in Vegas.  You can't get bigger if there's not enough room for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't CES and Comdex held in Vegas? Comdex has a massive massive attendance, so I'm sure that if they can handle Comdex they can handle CGE. :? :? :?

From what I heard, there are a few reasons behind this.  Space is a big one, especially in Vegas.  You can't get bigger if there's not enough room for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't CES and Comdex held in Vegas? Comdex has a massive massive attendance, so I'm sure that if they can handle Comdex they can handle CGE. :? :? :?

I just said about two posts ago.

Dan Iacovelli

Archived