IGNORED

"Picnic Paranoia" Question

I've just received a copy of "Picnic Paranoia" in the mail (thanks, Nir!).

I had the game years ago, and recall that, between levels, a digitized voice sample could be heard saying "watch out for ants!". I haven't heard this at all on this cart, and was wondering if this is because:

a) I'm playing it on a 16K 400 (and the samples may require more memory), or

b) I'm confusing it with another game.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your help, guys. :)

My mind just must be playing tricks on me -- I could've sworn that I had that on cartridge (and no, not the Video 61 version), and screenshots of the game don't look familiar at all. I'll have to hunt down a copy of the game and try it out myself. :)

Picnic Paranoia has no digital speech. I think it is to old for digital speech (1982). Whomper Stomper is made in 1984 and 'says' "welcome to whomper stomper" "player 1" " player 2", but not anything about "Watch out for ants" ...

Now the question is if anyone knows another game with ants and digital speech :?

Goochman wrote:

>Tumble BUgs had speech and I think was from the '82 era - 'We Gotcha!'

It may be a difference between digital speech and digital noise ;)

The speech in Whomper Stomper has a good quality.

The "noise" in Tumble Bugs is ... noise ;) .. So you may understand"we gotcha" I understand "game over" ;)

OK. Let's have a thread about understanding of Gamevoices of old Computergames ;)

This is what is clear to hear written in phonemics (as it could be written with standard font):

3eim au3a:

You may interpret it as "We gotcha" (this makes sense indeed)

But the "m" is maybe a "ve" so it may be: We've got'cha.

For myself I think, that all "not-english men" will understand "game over".

The digitized speech has to many distorsions in it.

And that it is, shows your interpredation to "we gotcha". The Speech has 4 syllabels, if the first word was a We. We 've got'cha ;) and you fit 3 syllables in it with "we got'cha" .

Game Over sounds like three syllables with a "m" ;)

To make it short: It sounds to me like "game over" with a heavy american (texan?) slang. :ponder:

It's not a completely bizarre thought.

If I recall, the 99/4a version of Picnic Paranoia had speech.

Good ol' TI and their Speech Synthesizer. Speaking intelligibly since 1980.

Is it possible you played a diffrent version of the game before?

It's not a completely bizarre thought.  

If I recall, the 99/4a version of Picnic Paranoia had speech.  

Good ol' TI and their Speech Synthesizer. Speaking intelligibly since 1980.  

Is it possible you played a diffrent version of the game before?

I hadn't thought that there were different versions of the game. Much of my computer collection was destroyed in 1996 (hurricane water damage), and I lost "Picnic Paranoia" (or whatever game that was) at that time. I can tell you that I did buy it in 1984, when Kay-Bee was liquidating its stock of Atari 8-bit items.

Much of my computer collection was destroyed in 1996 (hurricane water damage), and I lost "Picnic Paranoia" (or whatever game that was) at that time.

Ouch.

I can tell you that I did buy it in 1984, when Kay-Bee was liquidating its stock of Atari 8-bit items.

I was 3 at the time. I doubt I remember anything that would be very helpful. :)

But my 99/4a Picnic Paranoia(picked up in '88-'89) is copyright '83, and TI got out of the home computer business in '84, so they'd've been liquidating TI stock at that time too.

Dunno if KayBee carried TI computers, though.

Tried to confirm speech in the 4a version, and realized that I used to be somewhat better at it than I am now. As in, I didn't used to suck completely and utterly.

Archived