Photo

RespeQt SIO2PC + Real Drive (XF551)

9 replies to this topic

#1 6BQ5 OFFLINE  

6BQ5

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 AM

It is possible to easily use the RespeQt SIO2PC system alongside a real drive? For example, could I set one to D1 and the other to D2? It seems other solutions like the SDrive-Mac and SIO2SD have issues working with real hardware.

Thanks!

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 AM

It is possible to easily use the RespeQt SIO2PC system alongside a real drive? For example, could I set one to D1 and the other to D2? It seems other solutions like the SDrive-Mac and SIO2SD have issues working with real hardware.

Thanks!

Sure. RespeQt itself has no issues with that whatsoever. Just make sure that you don’t load a disk image into the drive slot you’re using for your physical drives and you’ll be fine as far as the software goes.

Now, having said that, there are some SIO2PC devices that don’t play well with other devices on the SIO chain, as users of the SDrive-MAX have found out. Most FTDI-based USB-to-serial devices don’t have a problem with it, but some other devices, and some obscure variants of the FTDI chipset, *do* have an issue, but it can usually be corrected with installation of a diode on the correct signal pin.

But RespeQt itself should be just fine with multiple devices.

#3 6BQ5 OFFLINE  

6BQ5

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:42 AM

Sure. RespeQt itself has no issues with that whatsoever. Just make sure that you don’t load a disk image into the drive slot you’re using for your physical drives and you’ll be fine as far as the software goes.

Now, having said that, there are some SIO2PC devices that don’t play well with other devices on the SIO chain, as users of the SDrive-MAX have found out. Most FTDI-based USB-to-serial devices don’t have a problem with it, but some other devices, and some obscure variants of the FTDI chipset, *do* have an issue, but it can usually be corrected with installation of a diode on the correct signal pin.

Thanks for this, DrVenkman!

Is there a known-to-work combination of USB/SIO hardware I can buy to connect RespeQt to my SIO chain? I understand I need a USB->Serial cable and SIO->SIO cable. Both will need to be cut in half and one half from each would need to be connected together. Tx->Rx and Rx->Tx if I understand correctly. The tricky part is finding the USB->Serial cable with a good FTDI chipset as you mentioned above.

#4 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 PM

This inexpensive Sparkfun board works fantastically if you want to wire up a cable yourself.

https://www.sparkfun.../products/12731

There may be alternate packaging/board designs that will work better for you, but I use this board regularly and it’s been flawless communicating with RespeQt running on my Raspberry Pi boards and my Windows machine.

#5 6BQ5 OFFLINE  

6BQ5

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 218 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 AM

Awesome!

So, one of these board plus one USB cable to get the connection to my Windows PC. What about the SIO end of this? Do I still have to chop a SIO cable in half to make some flying leads?

#6 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:05 AM

Awesome!

So, one of these board plus one USB cable to get the connection to my Windows PC. What about the SIO end of this? Do I still have to chop a SIO cable in half to make some flying leads?

Lotharek (in Poland) makes very nice SIO cables though shipping from Poland is slow and has gotten VERY expensive lately. There's fellow who posts occasionally in the main 8-bit forum whose username is Gavin-something who makes and sell them here in the US. There may be a few others as well - I gather the SIO plug has been 3D-modeled and the STL files posted on Thingaverse. So if you have access to 3D printer or are willing to pay to have it printed, you can buy plugs, buy the inserts (don't recall the exact model but they're commonly stocked items) and make your own cables.

#7 Nezgar OFFLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,832 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 PM

When you have RespeQt running in conjunction with real disk drives, it will 'sniff' and show the SIO commands being sent to other drives/devices it's ignoring, which can provide some great insight to what's going on too.

#8 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,968 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 PM

When you have RespeQt running in conjunction with real disk drives, it will 'sniff' and show the SIO commands being sent to other drives/devices it's ignoring, which can provide some great insight to what's going on too.

That’s true. And the 4.3 development branch forked by ebiguy adds some more details including sector layouts, which is even more info. I have trouble running that branch on my RPiZeroW when loading ATX files, though my RPi3 handles it just fine.

#9 E474 OFFLINE  

E474

Chopper Commander

• 214 posts

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 AM

Hi,

If you are wiring up an sio2pi cable, you just need a 4x4 bidirectional logic level shifter, I used these: https://www.ebay.co....tc/192834501712- they are cheap enough that the envelope and stamp will probably cost more. You also need to factor in the cost of the SIO connector and cabling. You can use an old 40-pin IDE connector to connect to the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins.

#10 ascrnet OFFLINE  

ascrnet

Chopper Commander

• 205 posts

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 PM

thanks for the information, you can say how you connected it to be compatible with D1 (sio2sd) and D2 (1050 o XF551)

regards

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users