IGNORED

8-Bit Telnet BBS?

Tempest

Is it possible to run a BBS on an Atari 8-bit machine (probably a 800XL or 130XE) where people can telnet in? I was looking at how to hook my TT030 up to my ethernet connection (it can be done), and I started to wonder if something similar couldn't be done with the 8-bit computers. I really want to run a BBS on an Atari, but I don't know jack about the 16-Bit computers and really want to do it on my good ol' 800XL. The problem is that I don't want to have to tie up my phone line doing it.

Tempest

Ok I just found this:

>>APE for Windows running on a PC can act as telnet proxy to the internet, allowing a real Atari to be able to telnet to a machine that can let it use other internet services...or offer services such as a telnetable BBS.

I have an APE interface and cable. Anyone know how this works (I was just using it to download games).

Tempest

• 1 month later...

I just hooked up my cable and tried this out. I used BBS Express! and it worked by telneting....you need to setup the APE software to be a server to listen to Port 23 (or whatever port you configure) and also have the Atari running some sort of BBS software. APE comes with BBS Express! (not sure if it was modified for APE, but it does work)

Is it possible to run a BBS on an Atari 8-bit machine (probably a 800XL or 130XE) where people can telnet in?  I was looking at how to hook my TT030 up to my ethernet connection (it can be done), and I started to wonder if something similar couldn't be done with the 8-bit computers.  I really want to run a BBS on an Atari, but I don't know jack about the 16-Bit computers and really want to do it on my good ol' 800XL.  The problem is that I don't want to have to tie up my phone line doing it.  

Tempest

I'd ask the good folk at S.P.A.C.E.

I seem to recall that they have a vaguely similar set-up but, as I haven't attempted to dial into their BBS, I can't be certain of this. :)

Tempest,

Do you not have the APE software? Configure the Internet Proxy (R:) option there , and then on the Atari run the file in the BBS folder (of DISK IMAGES directory of APE) there is a BBS.ATR file that is BBS Express!

or run any other BBS software you have, that should work too.

Archived