Photo

do we have the Geneve 1.00 BOOT BIOS source code?

geneve 9640 rom

9 replies to this topic

#1 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,964 posts

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2019 10:50 PM

I find binaries for the v1.00 Geneve ROM, and genmod variant.  But do we have the source code for it? 

I'm surprised that isn't part of the source distribution for MDOS... I'd love to see what's actually in there.  Gain some understanding...

Or maybe it inside one of those .ark files?

-M@

#2 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,607 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 12:08 AM

I'd also be interested, since I still plan to write a new boot EPROM one day. In the end, I see myself disassembling that stuff again, as I did with a lot of dumps (e.g. the HX5102).

#3 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,964 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:24 AM

I have been tempted to write a disassembler that allows me to annotate in place and re-disassemble, as you identity entry points. Do we have something like that, where the output is valid input to the disassembler?

-M@

#4 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,607 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 1:45 AM

The TIImageTool disassembler is able to create symbols for used memory locations, and the output can be assembled again.

#5 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,427 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:04 AM

I'll look through Tony's files for version 1.00 source. He didn't always keep the source files and often hand-coded things.

In the meantime, here is something I completed a while ago.  I don't recall much beyond that I reconciled both the 0.98 EPROM and a corrected version of LOAD/SYS. I think I was working on implementing an IDE loader and from one of the stub files, I tied this into cleaning up the Horizon format/load routine so that I could implement the horizon hard drive emulation. (The geneve horizon fomatted included 6K of unneeded information; only a DSR stub is required).

I do not remember if I released this image to Tony and/or Michael per the restricted text file. I suggest that we placed these files on WHT for future reference and availability.  As for including them with the MDOS distribution, that is a good idea. Not too long ago Beery asked me to pull together my current OS sources. I'll get to that sometime this year.

(I did not disassemble or reconcile the Swan image or the RS Debugger. Those can be extracted from the EPROM. I didn't consider them important)

Attached Files

#6 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 901 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 5:43 AM

I've got the 0.98 Eprom source code with the RS Debugger source code.  The MAME hard drive image with the file can be found at:

To download the file, it is at http://www.USwingNut.../Files/MAME.zip  .  The code has been up on WHTECH for years as well.  Look for the Bootdisk1.hd image under an EPROM folder if you want the zip (~170 MB).  That was a zip file I created as some folks were having difficulty getting things up and running the first time. 

Now, the swan image code/source is a bunch of data statements where I disassembled the eprom as that code was nowhere to be found.  I've also got code I tweaked just a bit for Mike Riccio when he was having problems booting his Geneve if you have problems assembling.  The code I have looked like someone started to add separately a menu system similar to what Tony finished.  I am not sure of the origin of that code and I think it is ignored.

I'm about 99% sure the swan image source code is based upon the Myart image code.  That code can either be derived from the Myart source code, or if you look in the mame.zip file above under the BIBLE directory, I use code to load Myart images into that program.  It's been awhile since I looked at the Myart image code, however there are two image formats depending upon whether one was using 16 or 256 color.  The Myart picture code should also be able to be found in ABASIC in one of the source files.

Just a head's up for anyone wanting to use the code with a GenMod system.  There is code to test memory that tests memory pages from >00 to >3F.  The original 0.98 Memex mode eprom code changed the page scanning range to either >39 or >38.  You had to avoid scanning page >3A as that would generate an error and not allow the system to boot.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I did just a little bit of tweaking on my end a couple months ago on a separate system, and I know I have code that assembles and runs.

#7 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,964 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:33 AM

Sorry, I haven't been here for the full ride... .What's the RS Debugger?   Google fails me.

-M@

#8 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 901 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:56 AM

RS Bugger (Debugger) was built into the Eprom on the Geneve.  It used to be you could type RSBug at the Command Line Prompt and it would launch the debugger.  The debugger used the RS232/2 (?) port as I recall so that it would not mess with the Geneve screen.

If I am not mistaken, it used the addresses at >FFFC and >FFFFE for a workspace/pointer.  If I am not mistaken, the code from the command line interpreter was removed.  Not sure if the the code in the task header page or page >00 still contains pointers where a separate program could launch it.

Once or twice, 25+ years ago, I pulled it up.  Now, MAME and its debgger is the best route to watch what is going on.

Beery

#9 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,427 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:17 AM

I've got the 0.98 Eprom source code with the RS Debugger source code.  The MAME hard drive image with the file can be found at:

I don't recall ever seeing the 0.98 source anywhere, which is why I reconciled and updated the source that was available at the time to bring it up to 'current'.

If I am not mistaken, it used the addresses at >FFFC and >FFFFE for a workspace/pointer.  If I am not mistaken, the code from the command line interpreter was removed.  Not sure if the the code in the task header page or page >00 still contains pointers where a separate program could launch it.

I think the code is still present in the KEY xop  (found in L6\KEY1s or L6\KEY2s). I marked it for possible removal since tony's EPROM doesn't contain the routine any more, and like you stated MAME's debugger is superior if you need to do any debug work.  I haven't pulled the trigger.

#10 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,427 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:38 PM

Here is the source for SCSI/SYS v2.1, which I believe is the latest released by Tony.  Still hunting for the EPROM.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geneve, 9640, rom

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users