IGNORED

Osborne 1a Computer Ext. Video Plug and Cable adapter to an ext. monitor?

I got an Osborne model 1a and it is being shipped to me. I am learning about this classic computer and have some questions. It is coming without the "ext. video" plug and I am wondering if this plug is necessary to have internal video in the 5" monitor. If needed, where can I get it?. Also, I would like to connect the Osborne to an external monitor via a cable adapter but looks like this cable is very hard to get. Is there a web site where I can get also this external TTL video cable?.

Yes, it seems like you need a "shunt" that connects the PC board to the monitor. I understand that you have two video outputs, one is the TTL which the shunt connects to and one is a RCA for lower end composite video.

However I don't know anyone who makes and sells such cables, or how difficult it is to roll your own.

The question was asked here almost exactly one year ago:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62621-Osborne-1-external-video-cable

For practical purposes, I copied the same page out of the manual and post it here, in case you don't have a login to VCF.

post-5454-0-30905200-1555407869_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Txs Carlsson!.

It looks like the Osborne computer I got (the model 1a) does not come with the RCA composite video output, just with the PC edge connector specified above and without the shunt plug (the little black cap that is typically connected to this edge connector). Looks like this plug is needed to direct the video signals to the internal monitor. I will keep looking for the shunt plug (unless someone here in atariage have a spare one that can sell me) as well as for the cable (TTL) to direct the video to an external monitor.