IGNORED

The specialization of TVS

I did, too, until I saw one in person. The only rear projection TVs I saw as a kid had very dark images compared to CRTs, and that's when the dream died. The 19" CRT I got for my 14th birthday was all the sudden perfect. :lol:

Maybe a worn out one. rear projection TVs were mostly good for peopel that wanted "bigger". Even tho there was one at my retrogaming club, but a recent one (recent as in "one of the last made before LCD became commonplace, so a 2003/2005 model?) and the picture was bright and colorful (it was a 16/9 too. Too bad it doesn't power one, and there wasn't even YUV on it...).

But I remember that earlier models, obviously would be more worn-out, and indeed, they had either bleached colors or issues with focus. The very dark picture might have been an attempt to reduce the bleaching by reducing colors and forcing to watch it in a semi-lit or unlit room.

rtroprojecteurs-thomson-scenium-20171128

Even in that picture, it looks kind of dim around the corners. That's exactly what I was talking about. Seeing a BRAND NEW rear projection TV when my buddy's dad just got one for the first time in 1992 made me say nothankyou.jpg

It gave me a weird sensation, like the picture is still inside the TV, as if you're peering into a box to see what's going on. I mean, it's great that you're happy, but I would never.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Despite the image faults and colors and distortions we somehow continued to believe it was better. It was a better and more sophisticated way of watching television - even if we weren't pleased with the image. Or didn't fully understand why. It was better because it was big and new.

On another note, people are still throwing these things out as much as they do CRTs. In the apartment dump in town, there were two CRTs out for pickup and 1 of these. The CRTs look in good shape having been sitting there for 2 weeks now, but the projection set is sagging from all the rain. Another week and it'll have collapsed.

Truth be told, modern TVs do lag as we have discussed here. On my current TV (as I discussed earlier in this thread), It's something that is driving my OCD nuts. Why once I moved from a 2 foot 65" 1080i Rear Projection TV to a 65" 4K LCD tv with gaming features ($2800 tv) my COD game has gone completely to crap. Someone on a hard map used to get a 20-5 k/D ratio and ever scene I got this TV, I would be LUCKY to get a 10-11.

I need to know HOW bad the lag actually is on my TV...welcome to the Time Sleuth. An AFFORDABLE device to show actually how much lag a TV is displaying.

https://shop.dansprojects.com/time-sleuth-lag-tester.html

Limitations... It can ONLY check up to 1080p, so you might need a up-scaler with a little bit of math to figure out the differences over if your doing 4K... It will do everything from 240i to 1080p and you can add custom resolutions to it so you can set for the video you are trying use.

This item starts at only $80... (comes as a board only, he will print up a case on his 3D printer for $15 extra).. I just ordered one yesterday to figure this out...

At least now, I will know...and when I buy my next TV, I will TEST it so I know.

Edited by TheCoolDave