IGNORED

Most Pleasantly Surprising Game

cvga

mmm krull. I ordered the game from atari age's* store, and got it before it was in the store. but then they went ahead and released it to retail thus keeping the game from being uberrare :( but krull is such a great game, I do not regret ordering it over quadrun, because then I would not have had all the fun times I had with krull. What a truly rare game, a licensed property that is a unique game, that actually relates to the license, with great music, sound, animation, graphics, and color. And its a mix of gameplay styles that actually tie together and WORK. hell, game designers of today STILL can't pull of what Krull today, not even close :-)

*(old magazine)

Solar Fox - great fun + cheap price = winner!

Same here -- got it cheap, hadn't played the arcade version, and thought it was pretty f'n decent.

Frogs 'n Flies.  I picked it up the other day and actually think it's kinda fun.

Not a great game, but LOTS of fun. Hilarity...

I'm going with Encounter At L-5. I expected less than nothing from the people who brought me Warplock and most of the reviews are horrible but I played the hell out of it and still count it among my favorites.

Funny, I didn't mind either, but I think I actually like Warplock better. Lots of flicker, crappy graphics, but pure twitch when it comes to gameplay...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ms. Pac-Man yet.

Pac-Man topped the most disappointing list. Ms. Pac-Man

was a vast improvement and pleasantly surprised me.

I was really just expecting the same crappy Pac-Man

with a pink maze.

HERO also surprised me. After playing it on the c64, it

didn't look so good on the 2600, missing all the wall textures

and all. But it played just as well (and I didn't have to wait the

20 or so minutes to load from the infamous c64 disk drive).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ms. Pac-Man yet.

Pac-Man topped the most disappointing list. Ms. Pac-Man

was a vast improvement and pleasantly surprised me.

I was really just expecting the same crappy Pac-Man

with a pink maze.

Well I remember it well.. I didn't even KNOW there was a MsPacman for the 2600 but there I was walking through the store and there it was on the shelf.. I freaked out and began wondering if it was good.. But it just HAD to be! I mean, games got better and the pacman fiasco was a year or so before.. so there was definitely a high expectation for Mspac as far as I was concerned. I'm not sure how I would have reacted if it turned out just as poorly as Pacman did.. but I remember (after begging my mom to buy it) coming home, plugging it in and being amazed and overjoyed at how close it was to the arcade game.. I remember especially being amazed how it had 1) the song, and 2) the "loop" at the top of the first maze.. man that was as good as it got and I was in heaven 8)

Long story short... I had high hopes for MsPac.. so it was more a pleasant affirmation. But yeah, I can imagine it was probably a surprise for lots of folks like yourself :)

Frankenstein's Monster was surprisingly good, considering it was brought to us by the same company that blessed us with SSSnake.

I have to agree with that. Very fun title, well worth the $12.50 I spent on it. "Surprising" definitely fits.

Data Age did turn out a couple winners at the end. Frankenstein's Monster is a great one and I also liked Bermuda Triangle.

I can't think of any US Games cart I really enjoyed, maybe Commando raid because I get a kick of shooting unarmed and helpless paratroopers.

Warplock, Arggh whats that noise? is this cartridge defective?

Heh, yeah, that was annoying, but on the other hand, it immediately sets your nervous system on edge, so you feel cranked up like when you're on the last couple invaders in Space Invaders, you know? Like I said, pure twitch gaming, that one. "ARGH!! I'M GONNA DIE!!"

I'd have to say Airlock by Data Age. I got this game from a bargain bin with Bugs Warplock and Encounter at L5. There is really nothing to the game and is pretty easy to win, but I liked it more than I expected to.

Encounter at L5 on the other hand.....

For me there are two games that I remember seeing as a kid that always looked really dull until I started collecting about 4 years ago....

Crystal Castles - This has got to be one of the best games ever produced for the 2600 and very surprisingly similar to the arcade. Considering how cheap & easy it is to find and own you've got to have this one.

Dolphin - Even now I prefer to play this over some PC/PS2 games! For me this game CAN stand against games for contemporary consoles and still win out.

As for "modern" 2600 titles, there really are so many. As far as I'm concerned, todays homebrew scene exceeds the abilities of the Atari programmers of yore. Debro's 'Climber 5', Simon's 'Mental Kombat' and the superlative repro 'Swordfight' really do name only a few of the excellent games available. I really do believe that had the vast majority of these games been released back in '80-'84 period, they would've been amongst the leading sellers of the day.

I am happy to 'dock my cap' to the new 2600 programmers.

As a last point, I think it also necessary to acknowlegde the efforts of some of the graphic design kings here - Dave Exton, Dale Crum & CPUWIZ for some of the most exciting and representative artwork.

Atari, and especially the 2600 is more alive today than it ever has been - even if it's following has been reduced in numbers. Well done guys!

For me it's Gyruss. When I first picked up the cart my only thought was, God, how badly did they butcher THIS? But it plays extremely well on the 2600. Couldn't believe it first time I played it, and it still impresses me today.

It's nice to see people mentioning Spacemaster X-7... although for me it was very disappointing because I already had the game - twice! Once as a bizarre cart with Chinese lettering and once again as a Cooper Black cart called "Spider."

I do love this game, though!!

For me it's Gyruss. When I first picked up the cart my only thought was, God, how badly did they butcher THIS? But it plays extremely well on the 2600. Couldn't believe it first time I played it, and it still impresses me today.

Good game play and GREAT music I thought...I can't think of any 2600 game that has better.

You just now encountered Warlords?

Oh, these kids today I tell ya . . .

Yeah, I'm just a nearly-30-year old kid! ;) Warlords was just one of those elusive common games I never could get a hold of, just by the luck of the dice. I only acquired it this week! :)

That's the benefit of having a relatively small collection - you need most games you come across, and nearly every new game you find is the first time you've played it....(sigh...)

Archived