IGNORED

Atari 1050 Diskdrive

Trooper

Hi!

I just managed to get my hands on a beautiful Atari 800XL for a song =).

My problem is that the power supply seems to be broken so I thought I'd just replace it with a generic one.

Now for the problem, I can't seem to get a straight answer about what voltage an mA I need. I get different answers everywhere. On the power supply I've got it says:

Input: 220V (Which is nice since that's what we have in our power outlets over here=))

Output: 6V DC 300 mA

Is this correct?

And by the way, should the computer itself get the following feed:

5V DC max 3A???

I'd be really grateful for any and all help!!

Cheers!

Troop

Hi!

I just managed to get my hands on a beautiful Atari 800XL for a song =).

My problem is that the power supply seems to be broken so I thought I'd just replace it with a generic one.

Your subject is 1050 disk drive, so I'll give you the specs for both.

800XL takes 5V (regulated) at 1A (some supplies were 1.5A, but anything 1A or more will work). The DIN is wired like this (looking into the power supply's 7 pin DIN):

With the notch at the top, the pins form a U shape, with 3 on the left, 3 on the right, and 1 at the bottom. The 3 on the right are ground. The 3 on the left are 5V, the bottom one is not connected.

Do not connect more than 5 volts, since there is NO voltage regulator in the 800XL, and the voltage will go directly to the IC's.

The 1050 takes a 9V AC brick rated at 31VA. (C017945)

-Bry

Hi!

Thanks so much for your extremely speedy answer!!

Only thing I find strange is that the power supply I got with the drive is an original Atari supply but it says 6V DC 300mA, is that wrong or why is this?

Cheers!

/Troop

Hi!

Thanks so much for your extremely speedy answer!!

No problem, of course I should be doing other things rather than hanging out here all day. :)

Only thing I find strange is that the power supply I got with the drive is an original Atari supply but it says 6V DC 300mA, is that wrong or why is this?

Cheers!

/Troop

That must be to some very small peripheral (a modem maybe?). 300mA won't come close to powering a disk drive.

-Bry

Ok.....strange.

Since I'm not very good at this kind of stuff I'm really grateful that you're willing to help out.

Just a couple of last questions then, could it have damaged the drive in any way if the guy who owned it tried to power it using the power supply I mentioned (300mA)?

Last question, can I just use a generic supply that gives the feed you mentioned earlier?

Cheers!

Troop

Ok.....strange.

Since I'm not very good at this kind of stuff I'm really grateful that you're willing to help out.

Just a couple of last questions then, could it have damaged the drive in any way if the guy who owned it tried to power it using the power supply I mentioned (300mA)?

Probably not. The voltage & amperage are way too low for the 1050. It might have destroyed the power supply, though.

Last question, can I just use a generic supply that gives the feed you mentioned earlier?

Cheers!

Troop

Well, there are some options. I have a 1050 schematic here.

1st is to find a beefy 9VAC (or 18VCT) transformer that can be connected.

2nd is to use a DC supply that puts out at least 14-16VDC at 2A or so. The 1050 will run this through a 7805 (5V) and 7812 (12V) regulator which have about a 2V dropout margin (how much higher the input voltage must be for them to operate). I can't guarantee that this will be good for the drive in the long run, just that it should work.

3rd You can use a PC supply with 5V & 12V if you're willing to do some hacking on the board. :)

-Bry

Hi!

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

Unfortunately (for you at least=)) your answer generated a couple of more questions.

Is there any chance that I could get a copy of the schematics you have? It'd really be extremely helpful in the future!

The C017945 you wrote, is that some sort of Atari part number that I could possibly use to find a full spec of the 1050 power supply?

Thanks for the tips on how to get it running, I'll probably try to go with the "beefy 9VAC" since I'm no where near a good enough "technician" to start hacking the hardware =)

Cheers!

/Troop

Archived