IGNORED

MAD ATARIAN undeway

atari70s

The game Mad Atarian has finally been started since i desided to program it in basic. (really its QBASIC). But the only problem i get is when i try to do a line like this:

130 POSITION 16,Y:PRINT #6;"#"

the #6; ( is a n error within the program that i change to a comma

and then iu get a syntax error ( POSITION ) how do i work around that?

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

The game Mad Atarian has finally been started since i desided to program it in basic. (really its QBASIC). But the only problem i get is when i try to do a line like this:

130 POSITION 16,Y:PRINT #6;"#"

the #6; ( is a n error within the program that i change to a comma

and then iu get a syntax error ( POSITION ) how do i work around that?

How do you work around it? Don't print #6! How do you fix it? Ask someone else.

Sorry, Atari70's, that one was just to easy to be a smart*ss with...

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Hello atari70s,

You don't give enough information to trace the fault but if you are getting an error 141 then your x,y is out of range of your graphics mode. ?#6 will put you into the graphics window, I assume you're using one, at the 16th column and the Yth row. If the GR. mode and the string fall within these parms then it should work. Using a comma rather than a semicolon will push the string by a tab.

HTH, cutter

cutter i do believe it was a 141 error thanks .

i reworked the game and i posted in atari2600 to get alex to read it

So far alots been doign good in QBASIC on this game. its about 60% done and is playable to some extent.im really excited about this project. I DO NEED HOWEVER ALEX or ALBERT to talk to me cause i do need the OK to use the website WWW.ATARIAGE.COM in my game. I leave little tidbits in huts ( so its not a shop its a small town. where you walk into stores and find games.). which is cool

There is no time limit and there will be a way to take your score, amount of carts found and Steps taken to get to the score. (the way to judge the score will take time. but it is a great breakthough and should be done by APRIL 2002. that is if all goes well and i get the OK from ATARIAGE for PRomoting there site. ALEX ALSO I can send you the .BAS file and QBASIC if you want to see how its goin. ( I WAS THINKING OF NAMING THE LITTLE MAN IN THE GAME ALEX BUT THOUGHT YOUD BE MAD AT ME FOR DOING IT. ) so for i have it that you walk into a hut a little man tells the wondering man ( CHRIS ) about atariage. com which is cool and there will be an easter egg with JP my name in it so it will be good to see who finds it. i think this will end up being a PC copy or a 8 bit cart when i get it done and transfer it to atari basic. but other than that sounds like its all up and UP . EMAIL ALEX and ill email you both tonight

ATARI70s

this is going ot be done on windowsthen reworked into Atari BASIC shoudl be able to be done and may be most of the work but im excited on this. i have a bootleg proto i can make .BAS file

Any game running on the Atari in BASIC is going to be slow and clunky. You really need to use Assembly to write games unless it's game that can run slow such as an text adventure or a strategy game of some type (like Checkers or Othello). At the very least you should try and throw in some assembly subroutines into the mix otherwise you'll find it will be too slow.

Tempest

Hey Tempest, I'm making a game in Atari 800 BASIC, and my game is very fast paced. I did this by using the lowest graphics resolution. This alows the sprites to move at faster rates.

The game isn't very much, just two Space Invaders type ships with one on the top and one on the bottom, and you're trying to blow your oppenent out of the water (er.. space)

That isn't quite true...there are ways around that even in Atari Basic. In the game Crickets by Stan Ockers, you can see an example of a commercial-quality game done in basic...while using a method of fooling the computer to treat string variables as player/missile graphics areas. The upshot to that is you can move your objects as easily as P0$(Y,Y+7)=B$.

Here's a link. You can list the program in an Atari emulator. http://www.atarimagazines.com/v4n5/crickets.html

Atari Basic was a very capable language for games, and with the addition of a few assembly routines here and there (called via USRs or interrupts) you can actually make some nice, commercial quality arcade games with it. There where a lot of commercial games written in Atari Basic, and I can personally recal a few good arcade games written in Basic.

Atari Basic was actually one of the fastest basics at it's time.

Obviously it's not appropriate for all games, and you will always be able to do more with assembly, but don't discount it as a language for writing games.

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is write in TurboBasic XL. It is an extremely fast basic which is public domain, so it can be included with the game. I also has a run-time package to optimaize it even further and supports both player/missles and DLI/VBI's unlike Atari basic. It is 100% compatible with Atari basic and Atari basic programs can be compiled with the run-time package as well.