IGNORED

Hooking up an 800XL to a composite monitor

King Asmo

Does anyone know of a place to buy the RCA cord you need to hook up an Atari 800 computer to a Commodore monitor.. or have one their willing to trade? I was planning to use the extra C64/Genesis/Master system cords that I have, but I found that the Atari 800XL needs a cord without the center pin. I had a cord for my Coco3 that I thought would work, but it doesn't seem to.

Also, does anyone know if you can hook a TI 99 computer to a composite monitor as well? It has the same port as the 800XL so I'm assuming you can. First I need to find some joysticks for it, tho.

KA

Here's the Atari 8-bit FAQ that has a section describing the pinouts. Search for monitor jack and you should find the relevant information. This would allow you to build your own cable pretty easily, something I remember doing a few times to hook up various Atari 8-bits to Commodore 1702 monitors.

In case you haven't seen it, www.99er.net is an awesome website full of TI-99/4a information. Here are the Video and Power pinouts. Unfortunately the video pinouts appear to be different between the Atari 8-bit and the TI-99/4a, so I'm guessing you wouldn't have any luck using the same cable. But again, you could probably make one pretty easily. I bet 99er.net has some links to vendors who could sell you a cable.

..Al

Thanks for the tips, Classics and Albert!

I order 3 cables from my favorite supplier, MCM Electronics.. I didn't realize that the pinouts might be different. I ordered 3 hoping to use them on my Atari 800XL, TI 99er and CoCo3 respectively.. hopefully they'll work on 1 or 2 of those systems.

I never had an Atari 800XL as a kid (my first computer was a Commodore 128).. It actually seems like a really sweet machine. I've had 4 or 5 of the 800XLs over the last few years, but I usually just ended up trading them.. not playing them much. I just ended up hooking it up this week to test it, and I was quite impressed with some of the games. I can't see how anyone would prefer an Atari 5200 over the 800XL.. the games seem quite similar, but you can actually use decent joysticks.. I don't think I'll ever touch my 5200 again.

Thanks for all your help,

KA

5200->Atari 400 with slightly remapped memory locations, different cart sizes to make imcomp with 800 series and crappy joysticks.

800XL provides a small footprint, excellent games(most of 5200 games are ported from 800) and a better joystick interface!

I only play my 5200 during Twin Galaxies compeitions, otherwise it collects dust!

Oh.. one other question.

Does anyone know of a good method to clean 400/800 carts made by Atari. I have a game (Centipede, I believe) that I can't get working at all, and I figure the contacts are just a little dirty.. but I can't get at the contacts because of the casing. Anyone have any ideas?

KA

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

Does anyone know of a good method to clean 400/800 carts made by Atari. I have a game (Centipede, I believe) that I can't get working at all, and I figure the contacts are just a little dirty.. but I can't get at the contacts because of the casing. Anyone have any ideas?

All you need to do is insert a small, flathead screwdriver into one of the two holes in the dustcover and then push the whole thing forward. This will reveal the contacts which you can then clean. Here's a picture:

Atari8bitCart.jpg

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

Cool.. Thanks for the tip.. I've got to try that.

You're welcome, hope that does the trick for you. These Atari 8-bit carts are also very easy to take apart. All you need to do is unscrew the single screw on the back and then pop the metal cover off. I believe you can then remove the board pretty easily, although I don't have a cart in front of me so can't absolutely verify it.

..Al