IGNORED

ATARI 130XE POWER SUPPLY

t.skid

I can take a look at mine and let you know, but off the top of my head I do know that it is the same as the XL computers used. But, your not going to be able to match the voltage, etc. and just fo pick up a powerpack at Radio Shack or someplace. The plug that goes into the back of the computer is pretty unique. You will have to get one made for the computer. Check B&C and Best Electronics (links under dealers in link section of AtariAge). It is similiar to the C64 (and possibly Vic-20, but don't know for sure) BUT, I think the pin arrangement is slightly different, so those won't work either(even if they take the same voltage). I have both, but I still have to look.

Gunstar: You're right. I was thinking that the XE have a normal plug power supply, but after your infos, I look into the best catalog reading that the plug is different. BTW, it seems very similar to the power supply of the Disk Drive SF354 for the ST series, and I own one of it. But there's a pin that is different (one is to ground, and in the SF354 power supply is "no used"). Hmm.. probably the best thing is to order one from Best Electronics. Build one will be too difficult

quote:

Originally posted by t.skid:

Thanks Classic.

From that scheme, I assume that I've to "split" the 5V input into the three pins ?

The extra pins are just to reduce the plug resistance, they are all wired together inside.

Using just one would work but using all of them may produce less heat and make more reliable contact.

quote:

Originally posted by walter_J64:

not a thing to do with a 130xe power supply but ive got a 1200xl with 256k!

my frist mod! the xlgm, oh and i have an atari 800 with 288k and a speed chip installed! you can tell the speed chip is running when playing battle zone and Berzerk!

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: walter_J64 ]

That sounds VERY cool! I've always wanted a 1200Xl because I love the look and size, it would match all my XL perephrials, I here it has the BEST keyboard and I like the idea of a side cartridge port instead of back or top. BUT, it has to be one upgraded with something more than the 128k I have in my XE, or else I'll lose some advantages of the extra memory...is your XL, XE memory compatible? Or Axlon type?

I've always dreamt of playing games like Alternate Reality that use the extra ram and disk drives, AND check to see how much is there for use. So if you have 256k or more memory, very little to no disk swapping is needed, even less if you have several drives, and it would make it even better than my set up I have now with the SIO2PC cable and APE software (loading from the PC which is a lot faster than the drives). If I could have an upgraded 1200xl AND the use of the PC's fast virtual drives, that game would have next to no load times as much if it would load up into ram. Not to mention quite a few other unique programs that use 128k+ memory like Snapshot, which allows two (or more depending on memory capacity) programs to be resident in memory and flip between them with a push of the button. Making the computer "seem" to multitask with no speed loss.

Where di you purchase the 1200xl and mod? BEST E.? B&C?

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I was only refering to the XE adapter's plug (XE side). If your just going to hack a plug together, then of course it's just a common 5v adapter...

Normal 5v adapter 1 amp or higher, right?

Mitch: what do you mean with "It may need to be a regulated power supply as well"?

It's not a standard 5v psu?

Sorry, but I wanna be 100% sure before plug it to my 130XE (I received it today! It's beautiful, looks like new!! ) doing some damage to it

Again, really thanks to all!!

Well, the 8-bits aren't really my speciality, but I'll try to explain what I meant.

Most Atari systems have an internal voltage regulator that makes sure the system get's the correct amount of voltage and that it stays even. You can plug any generic power supply into it as long as the polarity is correct and the specs are fairly close, because the regulator will correct it. I think that the power regulator on the XE's is in the power supply and not the system. So, if you use an unregulated power supply on it, it might damage the system.

However, I am not 100% sure if the XE's power supply is regulated or not. You probably want to check with someone who is more familiar with the XE hardware.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I'm relatively familiar with the XE, except the powerpack, never had a problem with it in the last 17 years, so I never had to look closely or even open it up. I do know it's the same powerpack as used on the XL's, so if they were regulated in the computer, so is the XE, if it was in the powerpack, then it is in the XE too. If I were you t.skid, I'd just get the original, I think Best and B&C (both in links here under "dealers") both have them for pretty cheap, and, like I said, mine is 17 years old and in perfect working order, as well as ALL of my Atari equipment I've bought in the last 17 years, never a single problem up until I dropped my XE on the floor when I was setting it up, after years in storage, last summer. It still worked after that, but would suddenly lose power every once in a while which got annoying, so i bought another one. Now I'm studying electronics, so I'll be repairing that short soon.

Gunstar "that sounds VERY cool! I've always wanted a 1200Xl because I love the look and size, it would match all my XL perephrials, I here it has the BEST keyboard and I like the idea of a side cartridge port instead of back or top. BUT, it has to be one upgraded with something more than the 128k I have in my XE, or else I'll lose some advantages of the extra memory...is your XL, XE memory compatible? Or Axlon"

Its called Rambo XL form ICD whene the real business Its not compatible with all programs but theres a way to make fully EX compatible but I need to put in a 800 XL And make some more mod's that is what i like to do but i dont have any XE compatible programs! So Ill just keep in the 1200 XL. Yes the 1200XL is Big, That is under statement of the year!

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: walter_J64 ]

Another Mistery comes out...

Reading some FAQs on the web, seems that European version of the XE (generally, not 130XE only) could have different voltage and/or plug for the PSU. I'm going crazy...

Actually, I was near to order from Best the Euro PSU for the 130XE, but now I need assistance. There's an owner of a Euro 130XE that could tell me something???