IGNORED

Super Mario Clone being written now

analmux

Thanks

@ Charlie

Yes, I knew about the ABBUC contest, but I had not enough time this year. I might join the new contest of 2004, but maybe I'll have another game ready at that time, as I'm in some kind of cooperative project now, that will start in 2004.

Now I'll finish this game, and hopefully (my PC nearly crashed today :( ) I'll have something playable coming week. It'll be a beta version / demo like program. Then it's a matter of debugging and filling in all the details (like special sfx, gfx, msx, enemies).

-----

mux

Okay, here is a sample program of the game. You can enter a level, but you can't play yet. The playing routines will be implemented this week.

Just boot up from main.atr to enter level 1-1, or main_last.atr to enter the final boss area.

You might see some flashing lines while loading a level. Don't be afraid, it's just for testing purposes. :D

---attachement deleted---

-----

mux

Edited by analmux

Here's another sample program.

After the stage opens the world begins to (auto-) SCROLL right.

The program starts at world 1-1, but when the scrolling starts, the level-pointer is increased. When you hit reset and enter again, the next level is loaded.

....Have a look... :)

-----

mux

@ oesii

Thanks for testing, did the scrolling part work fine too??

@ Inky

Inky would like to know what the ETA on this is.. Inky would LOVE to have a cart version!

This may sound very stupid, but what do you mean by 'ETA' ??

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time to produce carts. It's hard for me as a european to make carts, it seems to be easier in the States, so maybe if there are others like 'classics' or 'bryede' that would like to take over this job, it could be made possible.

Hopefully there won't be any Copyright problems with Nintendo.

-----

mux

I've certainly got the circuit boards for it (they can handle up to 1MB). :)

-Bry

Allright, then I'll send you a PM as soon as the game is finished.

At which location is the ROM organized? I assume it's (as usual) $8000-$bfff. Can it be turned off?

The game program image will be smaller than 48 kbytes.

------

mux

I've certainly got the circuit boards for it (they can handle up to 1MB). :)

-Bry

Allright, then I'll send you a PM as soon as the game is finished.

At which location is the ROM organized? I assume it's (as usual) $8000-$bfff. Can it be turned off?

The game program image will be smaller than 48 kbytes.

------

mux

The cart occupies the Cart A (A000-BFFF) and Cart B (8000-9FFF) space.

A000-BFFF always contains the top 8K of the ROM, and 8000-9FFF contains an 8K bank selected by writing to D500. The ROM can be any size you want from 32K to 1MB.

So, you have 32K RAM available from 0-7FFF, and another 16K(ish) from C000-FFFF if you turn off the OS.

By the way, Assessment of Children makes an excellent monitor stand! :)

-Bry

RECENT PROGRESS:

------------------------

The last days I've worked on the scrolling routine.

I'm using it now for the ingame charmode screen, though the method can be used for bitmaps.

So the scrolling (in all possible directions) is working now. Now we can scroll as fast as a Sonic The Hedgehog without any CPU-speed problems.

TO DO NOW:

-Check for level boundaries to stop scrolling

-Multispeed scrolling

-Implementing Mario puppet/sprite and play routine to run/jump through the level.

Be prepared....

-----

mux

Edited by analmux

Here is another demo. This time you're restricted to level 1-1, but you're free to scroll in all directions (joystick / numerical keypad), even diagonal, like the scrolling MCS demo.

! The scrolling doesn't stop yet at the level borders.

There are 8 different scrolling speeds. You can choose one by pressing 1 - 8 on the keyboard.

The slowest mode is one pixel per frame. The fastest mode is 8 pixels per frame. Notice that every tile is 8 pixels wide. So the fastest mode is 1 tile per frame, or let's say 2.5 or 3 screens per second. That's nearly as fast as the flashing Sonic The Hedgehog 2 scroller.

-----

mux