IGNORED

Lode Runner Colors

Tempest

Zylonbane,

Does your head really come loose? :)

No, but it does wobble a bit.

Anyway, the fact that two supposed Atarians don't know what a Zylon is, is somewhat disturbing.

Perhaps two points are more important?

-I never liked to play Starraiders

-Starraiders 2 aka "The last Starfighter" had a story about Xur and the Ko-Dan Empire

Dunno about any master list, but offhand I can recall:

- D.R.O.L.

- Starquake

- the Ultima games

- Amaurote

- Chimera

- Minute Man

Chimera doesn't use artifacting. Minute Man (do you mean Minit Man?) was never released for the A8.

++

RC

++

Could be -- I don't mean the 2D action/adventure game on the Apple II, this one was an isometric 3D game along the same lines as Head over Heels (visit rooms, collect things to increase your time, gain points, open passages/doors, etc.)

EDIT: It's Molecule Man I was thinking of.

as i said... ultima is imho not designed for artifacting (that's why the conversion does not work as you cant read the text)... but check out loderunner, drol, hard hat mack, these flippers from EA (the one with the world war 2 theme...)... marauder... A.E. these should work?

hve

I dunno, I just tried all of the Ultimas in an emulator and they all use mode 8 with artifacting.

But yes, all the rest of those are also artifacting games.

I dunno, I just tried all of the Ultimas in an emulator and they all use mode 8 with artifacting.

This statement is redundant. There is no such thing as mode 8 without artifacting.

I think he means that they appear to be using it for color. You can make a mode 8 game that's just 2 color (if you don't use any alternating dot patterns, the artifacting will just be around the edges).

-Bry

You can use mode 8 (Antic F) and simply not use graphics that will produce much artifacting (two or more pixels side by side will basically appear to be the correct color). People using a TV or composite will see some color along the edges, and those using chrom/lum will see only the correct color. Remember that when you use the text mode (mode 2) you're using the same resolution and also getting some artifacts along the edges of text, so it's possible to use mode F and not use the artifacting.

You can either treat the mode as monochrome, or amplify the artifacts with alternating pixels.

(only applies to NTSC of course)

-Bry