IGNORED

atari monitor question

mjlescord

No Atari brand monitor supported Composite Video input - only RGB - so none of them work with the 8bit line....

Get a sepertae chroma/luma video cable and an S-video convertor - plug it into a good new TV and you'll have the best picture possible..

I run my 130XE that way onto a Sony Wega - better picture than any monitor I ever had back in the day

sTeVE

Or, if your looking to have it set up on a desktop and don't have room for a Sony Wega t.v., the Commodore 64/128 monitors have both video and chroma/lumina (S-video) inputs. Color composite Apple monitors work to, from the day of the IIe/IIc. I use one of those, but it's only RCA composite, no S-video. Many times you can find old composite monitors at swap-meets or flee markets too, from brands like RCA, Thompson, Zenith and many other 3rd party monitor manufacturers. I bought my apple monitor off of E-bay for $35 all together with shipping. The Commodore one is better if you can find it.

Also, you'll probably need the cable, Best Electronics has them.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

You can get cheap 14" flat screen TV's inc a Wega.

The biggest advantage over something like a commodore composite monitor is that the new tubes are MASSIVE improvemnts over older types - in gemoetry accuracy, color management and sudio. I find my Atari 8bit games look awesome on a 14" SONY - much better than they ever did on my older (circa 1988) Philips Monitor....

sTeVE

quote:

Originally posted by Jet Boot Jack:

You can get cheap 14" flat screen TV's inc a Wega.

The biggest advantage over something like a commodore composite monitor is that the new tubes are MASSIVE improvemnts over older types - in gemoetry accuracy, color management and sudio. I find my Atari 8bit games look awesome on a 14" SONY - much better than they ever did on my older (circa 1988) Philips Monitor....

sTeVE

Now your talking! I hadn't really thought about that before...so I can go out to BEST BUY or whatever and pick up a 14" Sony Wega TV, with S-video and have a better picture than my monitor due to better CRT tube technology? What do the 14" TV's cost?

Mine is actually a 21":

SONY TV

Yes its from the UK - where scart dominates as the connector type and you get Composite video/RGB and Svideo plus PAL/NTSC on almost every thing

I had a look at SONY style and the 14" US Wega's don't get SVideo

BUT - this does - plus component for yer Gamecube and is great 14" TV:

Toshiba Flat Screen 14" TV

sTeVE

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: Jet Boot Jack ]