IGNORED

XEGS Cart selling sites?

Draugr

Hi,

Does anyone know of any sites that sell carts made specifically for the XEGS game system? From what I've been told some gaems were re-written and improved for use with the XEGS system. Ex: Donkey Kong. I'm not sure if this is true, but I'd like to find a sight selling XEGS released carts so I can obtain some games made specifically for that system.

Thanks

Donkey kong wasn't redone as far as i know. Then again, I'm very satisfied with the original 8-bit version (its still my favorite version of the game before the NES and even the arcade, just plays nice and smooth in my opinion). There were other redone XE games, mario bros, and crystal castles being two of the best which are far superior to the 5200 ports that are circulating the net as of now.

Have you ever played OCEANS "rendition of Donkey Kong" for the Commodore 64/128? That was amazing, especially for back then. It had almost everything from the arcade version. The graphics were really nice too. I have to play the Atari 8-bit version a little more, but so far, personally, I think the C64 version by Ocean was a bit better. I'll fire that up shortly to give it another look and I'll let you know. Maybe we should start up a poll on which version of DK for classic home consoles is everyones favorite? Might be fun.

Choplifter and Mario Brothers were re-written for the XE. Crystal castles was just "sorted out" - not reprogrammed - from teh old XL/5200 unreleased version...

DK - that's easy...

Whilst the 87 ocean C64 version is pretty, and despite the fact that the Atari 8bit version has a girder too few on the 1st level the 8bit one wins hands down in playability IMHO and is miles better than the 7800 and Colecovision (yuck) versions!!!!

sTeVE

I haver never played the 8-bit version of Donkey Kong. Are there all 4 levels?

Here is my best of DK list (versions i played)

1. C-64 Atarisoft Cartridge

There are all 4 levels and the starting sequence

2. 7800 Atari

Only 3 levels but slightly better graphics than the C 64

missing the starting sequence

3. Colecovision CBS

nearly the same as the 7800 version, good "DK-feeling"

4. 2600 CBS

not much Donkey Kong here, it could be done better

the 2600 Pac-Man is closer to the arcade than this one!

comments are welcome