IGNORED

Let's make our own lynx, with us all it's possible!!!!!!!!!

cyberfox

Well it seems to me that the little punk Cyberfox may finally be gone. In my opinion anyone who definatly cannot contribute to his own project is not any help at all. And Im sure you all seen his little lynx game "hot potato!" that he just stole from the Big N itself, what a loser, Im sorry... even I am not that lazy. and some plan of his, tell everyone that your developing a game to video game fanatics even though I just stole that idea from a very large video game company!!

Cyberfox, if you ever come back I for one will not beleive any cripe that comes out from your keyboard.

If I was going to design a new Lynx, I don't think I'd worry about backwards compability. After all, there aren't that many people out there that own a Lynx, and even fewer that probably play them. Making the Gameboy Advance backwards compatible with the original Gameboy is great since there's so much software out there for the Gameboy. Same thing with the Playstation 2's backwards compatibility. And you can still find tons of original Gameboy and Playstation (1) games being sold in stores.

Instead, I'd concentrate on making the next generation Lynx a kick-ass, portable gaming system. Design it from the ground up as a great system without the chains of backwards compability. The Gameboy Advance is a toy compared to what can be done with today's technology. Also, I don't know that I'd even try calling it a Lynx--why deal with all that hassle? Sure, it'd be neat to create a new portable "Atari" system, but if something like this did ever see the light of day there'd be all sorts of legal and licensing hassles to deal with.

Here's what I would like to see in a portable system:

- Reasonably fast general purpose CPU (for a device of this class, I'm not talking about a 2Ghz Pentium IV).

- Graphics processor with strong 2D capabilities and some subset of 3D functionality (subset meaning subset of you might expect to see on a larger console.)

- Good sound support, stereo

- At least 320x200 resolution

- Backlit display

- 24bit color

- Built-in networking (with a port that can be used to connect to a PC or Mac)

- Good amount of memory, to allow playing of networked games with only one cartridge (or disc). Like the GBA, but better.

- Stereo headphone jack

- Built-in speaker for sound

- Video Out

- Uses rechargeable Lithium Ion battery packs

- If cartridge-based, will support RAM carts that can be used to store games, MP3s, pictures, etc. If disc-based, support standard burnable media.

- A form-factor similar to the GBA would be nice, in terms of size, shape, and how it's held in the hands. The Lynx was too big, the Lynx II better, but I like the size of the GBA best (a touch larger wouldn't be too bad).

I'm not sure if I'd prefer a cartridge or disc-based media solution. I like cartridges because they are smaller, use much less power and are much more durable. However, they are more expensive to produce and have a smaller capacity. Certainly I wouldn't want to use full-size CDs or DVDs. I like the Gamecube's discs. But I don't think I'd want a portable system that takes discs. Having a disc mechanism would make the unit considerably larger and would be a large battery drain, unless you had a good chunk of RAM and only accessed the disc periodically (although spinup time would probably kill you).

Okay, enough rambling,

..Al

I for one would like to see a new portable that would be an alternative to the GameBoy Advance. An Open System would be great.

Nintendo has too much of a strangle hold on the portable gaming market for a new system to directly compete with it but an alternative would be good. I would be willing to support this provided this "new system" could be purchased for $200(US Dollars) or less. I think a lot of others would feel this way too. Do you think this could be done?

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: CosmicJoke ]

well it may take me a while, and alot of studying of the actual hardware involved I could do it. may take me a year or two. maybe more. all of my research and design would be free, so all there would be is production costs. I also need to get in touch with some real modern gaming programers to get an idea of what to design the system around, and to program the basic I/O function of the system. no backwards compatability makes things VERY easy for me you really arent limited on cart size, or disk space if you make the carts on CF cards. Type 2 you could have up to a Gig of program space! and you can edit the games on your computer and test em right on the system! it would be the easiest system to program for! CF cards run $13USD for a basic 64 MB CF card in bulk rates for manufactures. so the cost of games would be kept low. what do you guys think? as for the system hardwae design is what I love! The case could be designed from the guy who makes the VCSp. he already has some know-how on how to make a this type of system. The cost, at absolute most: 237.82 thats with the most nicest parts. I've already made the calculations. maybe the processor should be of the ARM based systems. not as slow as the GBA though. maybe, 250Mhz. and graphics a 3D accelorator with 2D subset would make it a kick butt system. well thats what I think.

Woah, if you want an open system there is this kick ass portable called a GP32 (true 32-bit system) that was released in Korea. Its open to all Devs, the system is pretty kick ass. It has a huge screen, uses SMC cards for its media type, has MP3 player, I think it can play MPEGs, great graphics, and great sound. HereTHis thing is way more powerful then the GBA and is HUGE in Korea and its slowley hitting the import shops in japan and the fact that they have an english site says that they might export it to the states. Here's a link

http://www.gp32.com/english/main.asp#

And heres a message board full of GP32 fans

Note: it actually the classic handheld board at IGN but it was adopted by us GP32 fans.

http://boards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=5013

Try this place.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gp32dev

ANd dont worry about having english games, just be happ y if they at least let us americans import. Cause there are some dedicated GP32 fans who are fluent in korean who really want to translate the games but they cant get a hold of a GP32. All they ahve to do is release patches and thenw e download and upload them to are GP32s.

To be honest, if the Lynx had continued to evolve, it'd have to stay cost effective, and I think the current Gameboy advance is about as good as it gets for a cost effective hadheld with reasonable battery usage (and I know about the dark screen..)

If you wanna bring Lynx back to life, wouldn't it be more sensible to follow Segas example and have Lynx less as a hardware property but more a software development ideal for the GBA (its getting more and more practical for home coders to make GBA games with the amount of emulators appearing).

If you made a completely new Lynx you'd probably be able to afford to only make 1 or 2. Not much of a gaming revolution there.

Heck, if you wanted to, you could always make a lynx-style moulded outer casing to replace the existing GBA one

Oh yeah, I'd change the name too 'Lynx' and 'Jaguar' - good grief, why didnt they just call them the 'Rambo' or the 'FaceStab'

I do feel a tinge of embarrasment when I see the startup screen on the Jag with its big red 'slash' writing and the cat noise.

Sad. Its a bloody toy, for crying out loud. Sega have the right idea, all cheerful and that.