IGNORED

VLM external inputs

Ze_ro

Did anyone ever figure out how to hook up external inputs for the Virtual Light Machine? I know there's a trick that lets you enable it in the software, but where is it expecting the inputs from? Would it be possible to make a cartridge that had audio jacks on it or something? Or perhaps it's expecting the inputs from the DSP port or joystick port or something unusual...

--Zero

There was one guy who did a mod for it, he drill a hole in the back of the Jagcd and used some type of sound board or something...it's on the net somewhere, I don't know If I have the address anymore, maybe I have it under my "favorites," I'll check. What I do remember is that the board he used cost hundreds of dollars. he was a professional DJ or something and used it for a club he worked at...

yeah, I kinda gave up on the idea after seeing that web page with the mod too...I can't seem to locate the address, I haven't tried a general search though...but if you goto Jaguar Interactive 2 board (through Atarihq.com) and ask there, I'm sure someone will have the address (if you want to check it out anyway). I'm sure there are other ways of doing it though, this guy did it the way he did because he's a professional dj or something and I think he already had the equipment or he thought it was a good investment for his work...But I've never heard of anyone else trying to modify the jagcd or anything...maybe some type of cart could be made with RCA jacks...I'm quickly learning as I learn more and more about electronics that just about anything is possible if you have the "know how"...

Well, a quick search on Google revealed the following site that has pictures of a mod that allows feeding an external audio source into the VLM:

Atari Jaguar VLM Info

Assuming you can get the A/D convertor Joe Britt used for this mod it looks pretty straightforward. I don't know how old this page is, but he claims the board cost around $200. Seems like a pretty expensive mod just to get audio into the Jaguar for the VLM, especially when there are some great WinAmp visualization plug-ins today.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I'm quickly learning as I learn more and more about electronics that just about anything is possible if you have the "know how"...

Well, it's not really just a simple matter of engineering... The real question is how Jeff Minter implemented this option. It may be programmed in a way that is very unfriendly to modify for (ie, requiring internal modifications to the JagCD itself), or he might have done something nice and programmed it to expect analog signals from a specific port. I was hoping that, at most, it might only need an analog to digital converter that would take inputs from RCA jacks and just provide the output on some of the cartridge pins. This would be very easy to design a homebrew cartridge for... hell, any solder jockey can handle a single chip.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert

he claims the board cost around $200

Yikes! I hope that this is not what's required to provide inputs to the VLM. Maybe it's possible to use something slightly more primitive to get the same effect...

If we could get a hold of Jeff Minter, perhaps he'd be able to provide some good info on this....

--Zero

They are discussing this topic RIGHT NOW at Jaguar interactive II! Http://www.atarihq.com/interactive/messages/35817.html

Glen Brunner has sucessfully connected external RCA jacks to a Jagcd for external input!!!

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

Damn! I wish we could edit our own posts...

You can! Just click the little icon that looks like a blank paper and a pencil... it's next to the "quote" button.

--Zero

Here goes an edit...

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: Ze_ro ]