IGNORED

I'm back ! is it possible to adapt a 3 1/2 ST Disk Drive...

andy_bernstein

Hello Gang,

Sorry to have been gone for so long - been very busy trying to get things done before the end of the year and it's just been insane. Also, I'm giving a hand to Analmux regarding his GTIA upgrade and I finally was able to start working on it earlier this month.

Anyway, quick question. I have two XF551 (bought from B&C) in Paris, France but I have absolutely no disk drive (only an XC12) to save my programs here in California. I've looked at Ebay to get another XF551 but the prices are just insane + I have to invest in extra upgrades (XF Enhancer, etc...) from CSS to get the maximum out of it (these two XF551 in Paris cost me a lot more than the initial price !).

So... If I get an inexpensive 3 1/2 ST Drive, is it possible to tweak it (soldering iron ok) to make it compatible with an XE ? I presume Spartados will be the way to go but that's fine.

Happy Holidays,

AB.

Steven,

Thanks for replying. So how do these guys at CSS pull it off ? (they offer a 3 1/2 drive that you can mount inside your XF551). I presume they use the internal hardware (SIO port, etc.) of the XF551 to host the I/O and the 3 1/2 is only a mechanism.

If I go for a MyIde approach, any chance I can plug a 3 1/2 drive directly into an XE (given proper power supply) with a chip in the middle ? (very much like the first incarnation of SIO2PC).

BTW- I'm not the most technical person so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

AB.

Steven,

Thanks for replying. So how do these guys at CSS pull it off ? (they offer a 3 1/2 drive that you can mount inside your XF551). I presume they use the internal hardware (SIO port, etc.) of the XF551 to host the I/O and the 3 1/2 is only a mechanism.

My guess would be that they developed a board that interfaces between the 3 1/2" drive and the controller board on the XF551. I doubt there's a huge difference between the the mechanics of driving a 3 1/2" floppy versus 5 1/4" floppy. Without the interface board already on the XF551, a standard 3 1/2" drive would surely require a much more sophisticated board to be adapted.

Is CSS still selling hardware?

..Al

Well,

I forgot who, but my XF551 mechanism was swapped with acombo 5 1/4 & 3 1/2 inch mechanism awhile back. There is a toggle switch to choose which format I want to use - I dont think anything was added/changed internally, just the case had to be 'dremeled' to fit the larger opening.

The 5 1/4 mech doesnt work that well (its prob a 1.2 unit) but the 3 1/2 has worked great. I think Steven Tucker did it for me?????

Actually, the interface is quite similar between a standard density 5.25" and a 3.5" drive. The main issue is changing the firmware to access the entire disk. Somewhere I have some info on doing the conversion... I'll see what I can dig up.

-Bry

Good morning from hazy California...

CSS -> http://www.nleaudio.com/css/

The last time the page has been updated was three years ago but you can always contact them by e-mail.

When I see the number of upgrades that can be applied to an XL / XE to make it a better machine (Turbo 816 from Dataque anyone ?), I'm so angry at the Tramiels for not doing anything with this platform beyond low price production and the eventual re-design / re-marketing (XEGS).

Heading for coffee (black) - AB.

Good morning from hazy California...

CSS -> http://www.nleaudio.com/css/

The last time the page has been updated was three years ago but you can always contact them by e-mail.

I just wrote them, I'll respond back here when I get a reply. I assume CSS is still Bob Puff, whom I know from when I was living in Rochester. Will be nice to hear from him again after all this time. :)

..Al

Wouldn't something like an SIO2PC cable help you out? Using that you could save your work to your PC as disk images and then put those on a standard PC floppy to bring back with you along with the cable. This is of course provided that you already have a PC that you can use for this. I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do, though.

Sauron,

I remember reading a post from Atarimax where it was mentioned that timing issues render necessary the use of the PC serial port for the SIO2PC cable to work.

A while back, I started a post about a possible SIO2MAC cable and the only possibilty I thought about (unless the whole concept is re-designed from scratch) would be to use the serial port of either a legacy MAC (all macs till the B&W G3 Rev.1) or a third party card like a Stealth model. Then run Virtual PC 6 with either APE or SIO2PC under MS-DOS and connect the MAC & the Atari with a classic SIO2PC cable.

Compared to the ease of use experienced by PC users running simply APE, it's obviously a real pain BUT NO WAY I'm going back to PC at home. OSX rules for what I'm doing (Film Scoring).

AB.

A while back, I started a post about a possible SIO2MAC cable and the only possibilty I thought about (unless the whole concept is re-designed from scratch)

AB.

I think that designing a Mac interface from scratch would probably be the only solution. I'm surprised someone hasn't worked out something yet with the popularity of OS X with the Unix nuts. If USB is flaky because of timing issues maybe a FireWire-SIO cable could work?