IGNORED

a7800 centipede the best home version?

Heaven/TQA

imho it's the best home version of centipede... i love it more than the 5200 version and even the PSX one (in atari classics)... (mame not counting of course...)

why?

i love the title screen animation, the sound, the colorful screens, it has more than 6 colors due to the 8 palettes on screen... and of course it plays perfectly... even with a joypad...

my score today 19784... anybody more?

• Like 1

The 7800 version has something no other version of Centipede has, 2-player cooperative mode.  So that's pretty cool.

But, the 5200 has the best trackball and that's why I consider it the best arcade at home port of Centipede :)

You hit the nail on the head! The co-op aspect of the 7800 version is great! But the graphics are comparable on the 5200. Controller wise, the 5200 stock controllers even are the winner over the 7800 sticks. Make that a trackball and the 5200 wins easily IMO.

The Colecovision version is also fun to play and look at. Kinda cartoon-ish. Looks nothing like the coin-op but an interesting change. Still behind both the 5200/7800 versions though.

Yes JB I give you that, but what I forgot to mention was a little story I heard involving Centipede. That originally it was planned as a 2 player arcade game featuring the same modes as in the 7800 version...Thats with 2 seperate trackballs. But since the bosses at Namco was affraid the game would not do well outside the arcade as a 2 player. They decided to go with a 1 player only version. But by the time Atari wanted to do there own version for the 7800. Namco, this time was willing to go with what was originally planned.

Yes JB I give you that, but what I forgot to mention was a little story I heard involving Centipede. That originally it was planned as a 2 player arcade game featuring the same modes as in the 7800 version...Thats with 2 seperate trackballs.  But since the bosses at Namco was affraid the game would not do well outside the arcade as a 2 player. They decided to go with a 1 player only version. But by the time Atari wanted to do there own version for the 7800. Namco, this time was willing to go with what was originally planned.
As was the case last time, the fundamental problem with this story is that the original arcade game was ALSO developed by Atari.

Namco has nothing to do with Centipede, unless they licensed it from Atari for japanese distribution..

It's a toss-up to me: 5200 Centipede is way too hard, even in the "Easy Play" mode, and I very rarely make it past 15,000, even with a Trak-Ball.

On the 7800, the centipede itself has much more realistic animation, though the spider looks awful, and I like the way the play field has more mushrooms like in the arcade game, the 5200 doesn't have enough to start with -- you need something to stop all your "arrows" from hitting the top of the screen every time.

Now if only we could have the 7800 version with the 5200 spider and the 5200 sounds that'd be perfect :P

Have yet to try the 7800 version with my 2600 Trak-ball. Is it compatible?

• 13 years later...

Intellivision? Nice jerky movement of the centipede. Super boring colors. Super trademark slooow gameplay of the bullets..

Heck the 2600 version is more fun. At least it plays smooth.. 7800 is no comparison to that dogpoop.

I knew I’d get somewhere with that Intellivision comment.

• 4 weeks later...

7800 Centipede-TB is the best if you have 2 Trak-Balls* and a friend to play with. However, it still doesn't have POKEY audio like the 5200 version has. But do buy it if it's in the AtariAge Store currently.

*It'll work with both CX22s and CX80s.

What do you need pokey audio for?.. the amazing soundtrack? The 7800 version sounds great.

The thing about the 5200 version is that is does not have tia audio never can and never will.

I am kinda a glass half full guy.

I was playing Centipede on an XEGS the other day and my kid asked me why it looked so slow - he's used to seeing me play the 7800 version. 7800 Centipede is my fav.

Coleco version the spider hovers near the bottom too much, but it's still pretty fun. C64 version is also good.

What do you need pokey audio for?.. the amazing soundtrack? The 7800 version sounds great.

The thing about the 5200 version is that is does not have tia audio never can and never will.

I am kinda a glass half full guy.

Why would anyone want TIA audio if POKEY is available? The only thing TIA does - arguably - better is play back samples cleaner.

The arcade version uses Dual POKEY audio. Or, Millipede does. The 7800 version recycles the TIA audio from the 2600 version.

I was playing Centipede on an XEGS the other day and my kid asked me why it looked so slow - he's used to seeing me play the 7800 version. 7800 Centipede is my fav.

Coleco version the spider hovers near the bottom too much, but it's still pretty fun. C64 version is also good.

The "XEGS" version isn't the 5200 version.