IGNORED

How many protos do you own?

Albert

I don't really want to cut the 7800 labels to look inside, but maybe I'll do one.

Phil

Don't bother, I have opened plenty of those, basic Atari EPROM boards with sticker-less EPROM's. About 15-20% of the ones I opened, didn't even have EPROM's in them, they were regular production PCB's. ;)

All of the ones I have are much heavier than a normal cart, so I don't think I have regular pcbs. I didn't get a chance to scan that Saboteur, but will do so tonight and post it.

Phil

Errm, games that came out before the 7800, in Pole Position II cases?

No I mean if they found a bunch of spare EPROM boards and EPROMs in the late 90's (which is when they sold these I believe).

Tempest

So, these were already burned on the EPROMs by Atari. They only cased them. I thought from what I've read that BE were burning copies of the protos on blank EPROMs. Or am I wrong with this?

Phil

So, these were already burned on the EPROMs by Atari. They only cased them. I thought from what I've read that BE were burning copies of the protos on blank EPROMs. Or am I wrong with this?

That's the thing, no one knows! Either is possible, the latter more probable...

Tempest

That is the difficulty in collecting prototypes. If Best COULD burn an eprom and put it on an Atari board, then so could anyone else with an eprom burner. If you buy an eprom/board without a cartridge, it could have been created by the original company or by someone else's handiwork. And how hard would it be for someone to mimic a hand-written sticker to cover the eprom? At least if you have a lab loaner label, you know that at one time it contained an original eprom from Atari.

Several of the titles from Best came on production boards with production ROMs. Donald Duck was one and I think so was Dukes of Hazard. In those situations, it is an original board/ROM made by Atari that was put into a generic cartridge by Best. It's up to you to decide if you want to keep it in that generic cartridge from Best, put it in your own cartridge with your own custom label or take it out of the cartridge so that you can keep it in its original "bare" state.

Tempest

From conversations I had with Brad a few years ago, he indicated that he only put them in carts and labeled them. Take that how ever you want.

Mitch

Tempest

From conversations I had with Brad a few years ago, he indicated that he only put them in carts and labeled them. Take that how ever you want.

Mitch

Well, if he's telling the truth, then these will be legitimate. Again, it's all guesswork. I paid I think $75 each on the ones I bought from Greiner. The Quadrum I picked up from Best if my memory serves me right along with a few Dukes of Hazzards, all of which I sold except the copy I own in the 2600 Centipede cart. I didn't get to scan the Saboteur last night. Hopefully I can get to it tonight. Lots of things going on. Even with the wedding over, I still have too many wedding things to do. And I'm not talking about nightly activities. :)

Phil

Oh, I forget to post the 3 new Prototypes, which I get since month ago. Thanks Marco. :)

Steeplechase (NTSC) Atari Prototype

Submarine Commander (NTSC not working) Atari Prototype

Stellar Track (NTSC) Best Electronics

Bad that Submarine Commander is not working. But I know this before. So I still miss this as game.

Pictures please!  :D  

Tempest

From my Prototypes? I think you already have them from Marco. The Steeple Chase & Submarine Commander looks like the one on your page with the same dates.

And Stellar Track is only from Best Electronics, so its looks like a Pole Position II from Atari 7800 with Warning sticker on it. ;)

So I think you don't need pictures from them anymore. :D :P

Maybe not a prototype - I have

Sorcerer's Apprentice - German Pre-Release Cart ;)

Mike

Pre-Release? How does it look like? Looks it like that here?

Then its a Prototype, because there is a Lab Loaner Lable under this yellow sticker. And for me its a Prototype.

Or looks it totally different? :?

post-15-1096781188_thumb.jpg

Is this possible to get pictures from all 49 cartridges that where made from this game? :D

Or are someone lost forever somewhere? :roll:

Know:

5 = ren.dhark

7 = ren.dhark

16 = sold on eBay month ago, not sure who won it

25 = MattyXB

31 = atarianer2003

So where are all the others from the 49? :ponder: