IGNORED

Drive Mech for XF551: What/Where To Get?

El Destructo

I pulled my souped-up XF551 (contains XF Dual and format-the-flip-side upgrades) out of mothballs only to find it spins disks but won't read them. The R/W head just bonks against one end of its track. :sad:

Assuming the controller circuitry is OK, I can fix it by simply replacing the mechanism, right? I've read that it's an ordinary (although very old and probably hard to find) PC 360KB drive mech. Will any mech do, or is there a particular kind/brand I should look for?

Please help, I want to read/write 360KB floppies at triple speed again ;)

Thanks,

-El D.

• 2 weeks later...

Just open the drive by removing the screws on the bottom of the case. The top of the case will come off.

Remove the data edge connector and power connector from the rear of the drive mechanism.

Unscrew the four screws, two on each side of the drive mechanism, that hold it in place. Lift out the drive mechanism and replace with a new one.

Re-attach the four mounting screws and then re-attach the edge connector and power connector. Close the drive and replace the screws on the base.

This is from memory, hope its complete enough ;)

Steve

No such thing as a 720K 5.25" drive, they're either Double Density ("DD", 360KB) or High Density ("HD", 1.2MB).

I've never seen inside an HD drive, so I couldn't tell you the difference. I can authoritatively say that it won't work in the XF551. :sad:

Anybody know of a source for cheap (free) half-height 5.25" drives?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I finally managed to get a 5.25" floppy disk drive mechanism (they are very hard to find) but unfortunately after hooking it up with the XF551, I'm still getting the dreadful BOOT ERROR.

Now for the questions:

1. What causes a BOOT ERROR?

2. Are there other ways to fix it other than replacing the mechanism?

Regards,

Don

Hi guys,

I finally managed to get a 5.25" floppy disk drive mechanism (they are very hard to find) but unfortunately after hooking it up with the XF551, I'm still getting the dreadful BOOT ERROR.

Now for the questions:

1. What causes a BOOT ERROR?

2. Are there other ways to fix it other than replacing the mechanism?

Regards,

Don

try www.myatari.com