IGNORED

Rare carts

Atarian7

I have two copies of Gremlins - I didn't know it was rare. I got them both with a big box of "Atari junk" including 30 carts and a 2600jr. from a friend for $15 when he was cleaning out his basement. They are in pretty good shape, but not perfect. I have noticed that on some silver label carts there is a mottleing similar to actiplaque. Anyone know what causes this?

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

Rubik's cube went for about $46 on ebay. I had a bid ready to snipe which would have won it for me , but I mis-timed it.

To SArk: It's listed as a 6 on the rarity guide. These "6" games usually go anywhere from $25 to as much as $50 on ebay.

I also got my frogger II for "only" $17.50 plus $3 shipping, but the label is slightly flawed with a little bit of wear/fading. (maybe a 7.9 on a scale from 1 to 10)

Hey Tempest, since you brought up Atari Video Cube, I thought I'd ask a question related to it...have you ever seen a Siver Label Game like AVC in a box for another game? I ask this because I bought a brand new, never-opened, Dodge 'Em for 99 cents at a K*B Toy Store and it had an AVC in it! The instruction manual was for Dodge 'Em, but the cart was the Cube. I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience like that? As for Gremlins, I swear to you I saw a copy for $90 at a flea market (they were selling it as "never released! A prototype! RARE!!" Although you could see the price tag from Toys R Us $9.99 right on the front).

I've personally never seen the wrong game in a box but I know it's happened before (although that's a pretty odd one to have switched), I've also seen the wrong chip in a case before so errors like this do happen. You got lucky on that one

Flea Market vendors who think they know anything about Atari games are dangerous. I had a guy try to charge me $10 for a Pong Sports cart because it had 50 variations on it he said "your getting 50 games for $10 that's quite a deal" I tried to tell him that most Atari carts had multiple variations and that all those games were really just Pong but he wouldn't budge. Good luck trying to sell it for $10, next thing you know he'll try to sell Combat for $50 (hey it's got all those games on it, it must be worth money!). I really wish they would just admit they're clueless and sell them all for the same price. I've also had vendors sell me ER games for $5 but try to get $20 for Pac-Man because it's a game they recognize and therefore it must be worth tons of money (don't even bother trying to explain that there are 20 billion unwanted Pac-Man carts out there). ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Tempest

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

That last point you made Mountain King burns me the most. I would go to a place weekly, getting NES games for $2 apiece, all of a sudden I go there and even SMB is $5, I know I was spending $30 a week on them, but to try and scam me (and I know for a fact that I was the only one buying games there because I left a NES Klax sitting there for 6 weeks, and nobody bought it, I finally decided to pick it up the next week) was a real slap in the face. I boycotted for 3 months, went back and got Lone Ranger, TMNT TOurnament Fighters, and 3 other for $10

Recently, I found 2600 Road Runner for 50 cents, so I know all is still right with the world, you just have to dig for it sometimes

I lucked out I got both Video Cube and Gremlins new in the box in the store when I was 14, both for around $10. I remember the girl behind the counter say something to me like, you're always getting Atari Games you should get a girlfriend. Anyway as for evil flea market people, I used to frequent a flea market in Pittsburgh and ALWAYS bought games from this one woman until she started to figure out that these Atari games were worth something. I stopped after she gave me an absurd price for a Lock N Chase. Luckily I got some good games from her before she got greedy.

I actually found Track and Field, Pengo, and Chase the Chuckwagon at the same store on the same day for $3 each (this was a long time ago) and later on found the controller in a box of NES joysticks. I haven't found anything there since.

Track and Field for the 2600 is good, it's surprising at how well they did considering how limited the 2600 is. I personally like the Atari 400/800 or 5200 versions better because I think the 2600 verison is way too hard for some reason.

Tempest

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

Since I like to play the games as much as I like to collect them, it's hard to say which is more fun.

Part of the thrill of owning a rare cart is finding it somewhere. Ebay takes a lot of the fun out of collecting because it's a gaming buffet. You just have to decide if you can afford the chopped steak or the filet mignon.

My most exciting 2600 find was getting Zaxxon at a thrift store for .35¢. Of the reasonably rare games I own, most were purchased when they first came out, like Crazy Climber, Tunnel Runner and Tax Avoiders.

I'm still waiting for my day to find a $1 Gas Hog or a .50¢ Video Cube. I think my time is running out on that however.

ò¿ó

Just wanted to let everyone know...that there is copy of Gremlins going for fairly good prices thus far at both Ebay..and at Yahoo auctions. The Yahoo ones tend not to get much attention...since people forget they even have auctions.

Also..there is a copy of TigerVision's Threshold going over at Yahoo...

Just FYI for those interested.