IGNORED

Repairing an Atari heavy sixer

Rick

Hmm...I have a sears heavy sixer...but the ribbon on it as far as I know...matches the Atari model in everyway. In fact the only difference I am told is that the woodgrain is different on the sears..and of course the switch labels. Otherwise..the hardware on the inside should be the same.

However pressing the fire button and the screen goes fuzzy sounds like a problem in the RIOT unit. Since that controls the consoles inputs (Joysticks) and the video. It may be possible to desolder just the riot chip from that unit and use the other one in the other unit. On the color knob one...You may have a bad pot on that unit...and so either replacing the pot could do the trick...

As for the exact specs on this...check the links and archives sections here for the schematics on this.

Anybody else with any other ideas?

Hi,

I have two atari heavy sixers i picked up at the flea market this weekend that need to be repaired. When you press the fire button on the joystick the screen gets fuzzy. It also takes it a while to show a picture (there isn't a channel select button on it). With the other one it has a fuzzy screen and way too much contrast. I tried turning the color knob in the console, but it didn't help. I thought about taking the boards out to make one good machine, but the ribbon that connects the two boards is different. I think one might be a sears unit with an atari casing. Does anyone know how much it might cost to fix these, and who is reasonable? I know some people say it's not worth it, but one of the units has a low serial number.

• 2 weeks later...