IGNORED

"Micro V.O." Q.

Does anyone have back issues of this French magazine from about 1986 or so? I recall seeing an Atari paint program ("Cahier des As"? "Cahier des Arts"?) in one of the issues from that year, but have not been able to find it on the 'net. I believe that it won a prize for best program of the month. Thanks!

• 16 years later...

Someone FINALLY uploaded back issues of Micro V.O., and I don't see many of these programs uploaded into the Atarimania database. And the program of my quest was "Multicolor" -- looks like this was in the magazine's final issue. 

Graphics 15, with 128 colours, hm? I wonder if this will work with NTSC machines...

There's a very high chance of a miss-type in that listing, never seen machine code in data statements

done that way before, the processing of it must take ages.

But I suppose a nice way to produce a bootable cassette or file on disk from a listing.

Did an OCR convert for the heck of it, unfortunately due to the poor quality of some of the characters

I found 'A' was being converted to "11" in some places, '0' (with line through it to signify zero) was

being converted to '8' and '(' to 'C'

Might still be quicker that a full re-type tho

Edited by TGB1718
Update

I might try typing it in, but it's going to be painful...and what if the magazine listing itself contains an error or typo? This was the last issue, so I won't be able to check for corrections. I can just see spending a day or two typing this in only to find out that the program needs to be debugged...

Also, I need another pair of eyes to look at line 2020. The third and fifth lines begin with a character that could be many things, but looks either like a capital L or the number 1. I'm leaning to number 1. Line 2000 also has some concerning glitches. What characters start the second and third lines?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Also, I need another pair of eyes to look at line 2020. The third and fifth lines begin with a character that could be many things, but looks either like a capital L or the number 1. I'm leaning to number 1.

Definitely looks like a "1".

I don't believe the glitches at line 2000 are extra characters that were accidentally squeezed, I just see a "D" and a "5". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress...

A guy calling himself AntiPontifex (!) actually typed in this program - as well as many others! - a year ago:

http://abandonlistings.free.fr/microvo/ATARI.htm

I can't get the BASIC file to create the machine language program due to an error detected at line 0. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a matter of a mistyped line? Here's the disk if someone wants to check what is going on:

Multicolor-Drawer.atr

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 2

Odd - not sure how it's showing at error at line 0.  L is the line number, and it's initialized in the loop to 2000.  One other thing I saw at first glance that could be an issue.  Line 250, the X=USR command, I am pretty sure one of those characters shouls be in inverse.  I seem to remember that string often - I think it's CIO code to save?

Confirmed above.  I've found typos on line 70 and 250.  I'll play around with this for a while and see if I can make any progress.  Funny way to spend my day off work (software developer fulltime - you'd think I'd do something else - LOL).

Edit #2

Found another typo on line 180.  It's not going to be fun debugging the data statements.  The reason we're getting the error at line 0, is ERROR 5 at line 110.  I believe this is string length issue.

Edit #3

Space at the end of line 1990.  Made it to line 2010 before an error.   Progress I guess.

Edit #4

Corrected down to line 2340

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

By taking all the TRAPs I was able to get a L 2000 -- I am wondering if the last pieces of the DATA lines are part of the listing.  The Q constant i think is summing the DATA lines, but blurred vision so I stopped looking at it.

Also D$ is dim at (23) so I took some of the # marks out of the listing.

34 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

By taking all the TRAPs I was able to get a L 2000 -- I am wondering if the last pieces of the DATA lines are part of the listing.  The Q constant i think is summing the DATA lines, but blurred vision so I stopped looking at it.

Also D$ is dim at (23) so I took some of the # marks out of the listing.

Sorry - I've not posted my work in progress yet.  I have it building properly down to line 2610 and I've looked 4 times for an error on that line and don't see it.  I'll post my current WIP here - I've added a lot of code to assist in debugging this.  On the ATR, MC.BAS is my file.

Once it breaks (fails the "CRC" check, every line after will not sum correctly).  However, we're now at 2920 out of 4000 bytes being generated in the object file.

test.atr

I have checked line 2610 no less than 6 times now, running horizontally and vertically.  I cannot find a typo in the program compared to the printed version vs the entered version.  All I can do is recalculate the remaining checksums, or disable the test, verify the remaining lines are correct, and see what we get as an object file.

Edit #1

Wife also checked.  Cannot find a mistake.  So I changed the checksums from this line down.  I only have 3 more lines to test.  Give me maybe 10 minutes and I will have an ATR posted with a full OBJ file generated.

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Thank you!

No problem.  99% of the work was done by whoever gave me the ATR with the listing.  I just burned my eyes out and had the wife wondering WTF all the random numbers were as I sat here talking to myself :)

I'll work on translating the magazine text if you like.

Apologies for the very rough translation - should be close enough to get you started:

In graphics 15, only 4 colours can be displayed simultaneously.  By an interupt management process, it is possible to display 128 colours on the screen.  This system manages the 192 lines of the drawing with the possibility of displaying 4 different colours per scanline.

The screen is divided into three bands:
    The top band, called test pattern, indicates the 4 colours hidden by the cursor.
    The area representing the drawing sheet
    The band on which all the control operations are indicated

To change the command in the window, just press the letter corresponding to the first letter of each keyword.

Colour: Choice of one of the four colour registers which you can change the content with the Colour function

Function: Allows you to select the instrument you will be working with.

Brush: You can draw with the joystick by pressing the button.  You have to your your layout four brushes that you choose with the Tool key

Tool: A point, a small circle, a small rectangle, and a slash

Magnifier: Magnifies a small part of the drawing and allows point by point modification of the drawing

Ruler: Allows you to draw lines.  There are three types of rule:
    Broken: Makes a segment
    Suivi: Segments are linked end to end
    Escape: Segments converge to a point

Letter: allows to write. RETURN allows to exit from write mode.

Fill: identical to the rule except according to the value of Scolor, this function fills the empty zones  corresponding color

Scolor: selects one of the four registers for Fill

Color: two arrows indicate the line you want to work on. The color change is controlled with the joystick. Choose the register you want to change (R)  . The numerical value (in hexadecimal) is displayed on the last line of the control strip. To change a color, press the button. The joystick pointing up or down changes the color, to the left or to the right, the luminance.  If you have several lines to color in the same way, use the B key.

Clear: when you press the joystick button the program is reset.

Diskette: allows you to load (C) or save (S) your drawings.  For a cassette player type ? then RETURN.  A floppy drive: D1:DESSIN.PIC then RETURN.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...