IGNORED

Re-gluing labels?

Ze_ro

I've noticed that most Atari games (as well as other classic systems) have good labels that don't seem to fall off. One exception though that I've noticed are the Parker Bros games such as Popeye and Q*Bert. I have about 4 cartridges like these, and the labels are slowly becoming unglued on them all. What kind of glue would be best to use on them? I'm hesitant to use crazy glue, as I don't want it to melt through the plastic on the cartridge or anything like that.

--Zero

I use rubber cement. It's great because it is safe for paper, and can be removed, but stays put really well. Coat the cart first, don't worry about getting it on the edges, you can rub it off. Then coat the back of the label. Let them dry almost all the way, then stick the label on the cart. Be sure to get it on right! Press the label on really well, then let it dry the rest of the way. Rub the rubber cement off the edges with a finger. I have done this to a few of my carts, like my Parker Bros. Q*bert and Frogger, and my Apollo Space Cavern. I don't know whether it will damage the cart/label, but it shouldn't. The carts I did it on were already in bad shape, and as I don't have any rare carts, it shouldn't hurt. I also have about 30 carts with no end labels. I solved this by cutting out a cardboard template, tracing it onto common white mailing labels, writing in the name of the cart, cutting out the label and sticking it to the end of the cart. Again, these are really common carts like Space Invaders (it seems that nobody ever took good care of their carts, I really don't have many carts at all that are in good shape other than ones I bought new) I hope this helps!

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

I'd do one of these two things:

If the label is completely off, use a spray adhesive. The one I personally use is called "Super 77" and is made by 3M. It should be available at many different hobby / hardware stores. I think I've even seen it at places like Target, Kmart or Walgreens. Just lightly spray it on the back of the label, and carefully apply it to the cart. Once it is on, though, it's there for good, so be careful to line it up right the first time.

If the label is only partially loose, and you don't want to risk trying to take it all the way off, I usuall just use a plain old glue stick. Just lightly apply it to the back of the loose area and hold it all together for a few minutes while the glue dries. That's about as easy as it gets.

The only reason I warn against Rubber Cement is because of the solvents in it. Being it's applied in a relatively thick coat directly to the label, the solvents have a chance to soak into the paper fibers. Over the long term, this can lead to the label discoloring, becoming brittle, and all sorts of nastiness.

~Scott

*** WARNING! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! ***

I use super glue. I apply a very small, thin amount of super glue and smear it around the area with a tooth pick. I suppose it could lead to discoloration (I've never had any trouble) but once they're glued down they stay down!

*** WARNING! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! ***

Tempest

[ 05-16-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

I used Rubber Cement for a very long time, but lately I found a glue stick that really holds well and doesn't seem to make as big a mess as rubber cement.

I can't remember it's name, but the stick is purple and then it dries clear. I've never noticed any bleed what-so-ever.

• 5 weeks later...

It's good to see someone discussing this.

I recently tried using elmer's glue on a qbert cart. The results were mixed. IT is holding fairly well but there was some residue around the edges that I will be slowly rubbing off for weeks. Don't want to try to do it too fast with a cleaner and end up damaging the label. I only had to glue the end of the label. The main face was still on well.

It's obvious when they were making these cartridges that longterm appearance wasn't too important. This is completely understandable from a business perspective. Who knew that 20 years later people would be collecting these like treasured artifacts?

I've personally used a simple glue stick to secure labels on several carts. I've reattached labels (both main and end) that have come completely off, as well as the ends of pesky Parker Brothers carts that always seem to pop up. Seems to work pretty well and I haven't had any problems with discoloration or mottling.

I like the idea of a spray glue, never tried that. Seems like that would be an ideal way to use just enough glue without having excess spilling out from the edges when you reapply the label.

Perhaps we need a "How to Glue Labels to Carts" FAQ.

..Al

Al-

I've used the spray adhesive method too many times to count, and it hasn't failed me yet. I have carts that I've reattached labels to 7 or 8 years ago that are still nice-looking, and holding strong.

Glue sticks seem to work OK, but I've had a couple problems when trying to completely reattach end labels with it. Sometimes they will be fine for several months, but often come loose eventually. Glue stick does work well for attaching loose, but not completely unattached, labels (Which is the failing point of spray adhesive - it's too hard to control the spray when the label is still partially on the cart).

3M Super77 - I swear by it.