IGNORED

Stargate & Touchpad

Inky

IS there any way to play Stargte (oops.. Defender 2 ) on the 2600 using the Video Touch Pad controller? I'd try it, but I don't own this device.

Does anyone have a star raiders available with said controller for relatively inexpensive?

I don't think the Keypad would do anything for Stargate but I might be wrong. Every game I've every messed with the Keypad on (With the Exception of Starraider) didn't really do anything.

If you look on ebay you shouldn't have any trouble getting a Keypad controller, they are pretty common. I've even got a few spares but no star raiders overlays for them.

I agree with Joel.

Hardware reason:

Comparing the keypad / joystick electric schematics, I don't think it's possible to substitute the keypad for a joystick (for a program that use a joystick)

Software reason :

The keypad support needs to have a specific programming.

Well I just tried, so from a non programmer's point of view, no it doesn't work. However if you have the joystick rack that came with Spy Hunter that allows you to attach two joysticks together (Sort of like the one that comes with Space Dungeon and Berzerk for the 5200) that'll help you a bit if you're not a Joystick Monkey.

This actually raises a question I have been thinking about lately...does anyone know where I can find a printable overlay for Star Raiders?  

We have a reasonably high-resolution scan of the Star Raiders overlay here. If that's not good enough for you, I have the original scan in higher-resolution (and uncompressed) form.

I haven't experimented with printing these labels onto some sort of plastic, but I imagine it'd be pretty straightforward. The tricky part would probably be putting some type of protective layer on the top after you've printed it. I know people have been printing Intellivision overlays, so you might want to search around the net for that and see what they do.

I just did a quick search and found the following link that might be useful:

Create your own Intellivision Overlays - Gigaintellivision.com

Looks pretty straightforward, although I'm somewhat skeptical that the inkjet ink won't easily rub off the plastic.

..Al

Just print the label on strong paper then use a adhesive plastic film.  

Something like that could work, at least then the top would be protected.

quote:

I love those instant lamination sheets you can buy at places like Office Depot. They work great for almost everything, just peel and stick.

I wonder if it would be too thick if you did both sides?

That could also be interesting, and would protect the bottom as well. However, at this point it probably would be pretty thick unless you could find very thin sheets of plastic.

Perhaps someday we'll have to work on a "Create Your Own Overlays" feature for the site, complete with pictures and step-by-step instructions. Would be useful for 5200 overlays especially, since there aren't too many for the 2600 (and the Star Raiders overlay is pretty easy to come by).

..Al