IGNORED

Favourite Classic System

Mister VCS

Diesel,

it´s like the normal G7000 with a different background graphic (only the later games).

The G7000 was also my first game system. My grandfather bought one for me when I was 15 years old (oh God, 20 years ago ...)

I still love playing Pick Axe Pete (one of the best games ever) but I hate those controllers ...

BTW. I have Super Cobra, Q*bert and Frogger

(all shrinkwrapped). If you´re interested, please let me know.

Günther

**** Commodore 64 ****

38911 Basic Bytes Free

The C64 versions of some VCS games are great.

(If I'm not wrong, some games were done for the VCS after the C64 vrsion)

H.E.R.O.

Pitfall

Pitfall II

Ghostbusters

River Raid

Space Shuttle

Winter Games

Tapper

Popeye

My second favorite would be the Commodore VIC-20. It was my first computer and it was easy for me to program. I made a ton of games on that thing (and played them).

I also loved some of the cartridges I had, like some of the Scott Adams adventure games and Radar Rat Race.

Yes C64 is great. I loved it too. Then I have sell it and buy me an NES. And this is my favourite Classic System.

And now I have all ROMs for the C64 that I loved to play as child.

So C64 and NES my favourite classic systems. Or is SNES classic too? Then its better then both.

Matthias

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

ren, I'd like to get those games, what're you asking in exchange...

btw: from what i've seen, the backgrounds dont really seem to add to the gameplay, but do they add to it.. and Pick axe Pete is my 2nd favorite Odyssey2 game, next to Quest for the Rings..

My favourite non-Atari console would have to be Colecovision. I owned one of those alongside my VCS, and had lots of fun with it.

My favourite computer would, of course, have to be the Atari 8-bits. I owned a variety of them throughout in the 80s, eventually learning to program on 'em and do all sorts of wonderful things. The Atari ST also has a warm place in my heart, as I owned them after the 8-bits, and did quite a bit more programming on 'em.

It would definitely have to be the 5200. Although it doesn't look like it, the 5200 has always been my system of choice. It was the source of countless hours of fun and yes, grief.

As I always said, for all the times I loved playing Joust, Robotron, and Space Dungeon on that machine, I've spent almost the same amount of time pressing the "start" button as hard as I could while forlornly staring at the attract mode screens of the above games. Later on in life I eventually figured out how to fix it (pencil erasers on contacts can work marvels), but those darn controllers were the source of both joy and heartache... :P

No shocker here to everyone...

For me it is the 7800. I love the compatibility to play all my old 2600 stuff on it. I like the controllers on it better for me they have always been more durable.

While not really being a classic to some since it was after great crash of '84. I love my Genesis and all I have with it next to that 7800.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

my favorite for a second favorite was a tuffy. but i'd have to go with the intellivision..i loved that thing now that i remember. Unfortunatly i traded my intellivision collection to boost my atari collection..i got a good trade if i remember correctly. It's funny how you never really miss something until it's gone

Tough question. Back in the day, my favorite after the VCS would have been the ColecoVision. Like Mindfield, I owned both systems and enjoyed them both...and quite frankly, I had little experience with any others. These days my horizons are broader but I still like the ColecoVision, though I wonder if I should give the edge to my Atari XE Game System (part of the 8-bit line). The graphics are pleasant in that early '80s way and the game library is fairly rich.

So many memories.. the Atari 2600 was the first console we had at home and I have fond memories of Adventure, Superman, and Warlords (especially playing this 4 players with my family). Then came the Commodore 64 - I clearly remember using a 300 baud modem in the middle of the night to dial into an online mall service and I was in awe about the capability. It was the first computer I programmed on. At some time we got an Atari 5200 and Miner 2049er was my favorite game on that system. I also recall having a MicroVision. Then came the NES and playing Legend of Zelda for over 24 hours straight. After that I stuck with PCs and an Amiga until I bought a Dreamcast last year.

Now that I'm nearing 30 I fondly look back on the days of my youth and after a few garage sales I collect all the vintage systems. What's my favorite system? All of them really. As a chief architect I appreciate the ingenuity that went into building these systems and games and have tons of fun playing them. Only problem with the hobby is the space it takes up!

Seeya guys around at the next pawn shop...

ARCZero

Intellivision: not many games but many great ones.

Bally Astrocade: great basic game system, cool controllers, few games but some real classics

Atari XE: a zillion games available for this overlooked system and it uses standard 2600 joysticks

> The Vectrex is pretty cool

AMEN!

The Vectrex was a very cool unique game system. I'd love to see someone make an updated Vectrex that was thinner and lighter with modern technology.

There are a few guys working on emulators of various classic systems for the GBA - there is at least one 1600 and a released NES emulator for the GBA.

I wonder how the Vectrex would look on the GBA's 240x160 screen? Probably not that great, but you could fit it in your shirt pocket...

Okay, I need to pipe in here with my opinion. I couldn't really afford many game systems when I was younger, so I had to do with the one system I did end up purchasing long after my 2600 was given to some cousins by my mother (the horror!): An Atari 800XL.

I didn't buy the Atari to play games, but instead teach myself how to program (and later that machine would serve as the center of a large collection of hardware running a BBS). But it did spend a good percentage of its time playing games. Off the top of my head:

- Alternate Reality: The City & The Dungeon (two amazing games still unsurpassed in many ways by RPGs these days).

- Many wonderful Electronic Arts games (M.U.L.E., Archon, Archon II, etc.)

- The LucasFilm Suite (Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, Koronis Rift, The Eidolon)

- Anything from Infocom

- Many games from Synapse (such as Rainbow Walker, Blue Max, etc.)

- Miner 2049er

- Bounty Bob Strikes Back (I *just* paid $97 for this on eBay, I can't wait to play it on an actual 8-bit again! After Alternate Reality, my favorite 8-bit game ever. Still need this for the 5200).

- Montezuma's Revenge

- The Tail of Beta Lyrae (Datasoft), boy do I need to play this again! This was the first 8-bit game I purchased and I was very impressed (programmed by Philip Price, of Alternate Reality fame).

- Star Raiders

- Temple of Apshai Series (Epyx)

I could go on for some time and I know I'm leaving tons of great games out that I spent many, many hours playing.

The Atari 8-bit had decent graphics and sound, used Atari 2600 peripherals and games could take advantage of the floppy drive giving them more potential than cartridge based games. So for me it was a great mix of a machine I could use for practical purposes and still have a lot of fun, given that I was on a limited budget (and yes, I bought most of the games listed above! Wish I still *had* them!)

..Al