IGNORED

Need artwork help

ChristopherD

Howdy all.

Been a while since I've haunted these hallways, when it was Atari 2600 Nexus. Anywho, like others are doing, I'm working on the Swordquest: Airworld cartridge labels and box art for the homebrew project being worked on currently.

What I could really use some help with is if someone could give me a BIG, DETAILED scan of the Swordquest logo, preferably from the Waterworld box, but really from any of the boxes.

The artwork here on the AtariAge box scans is not big enough, nor detailed enough. I don't need the entire box, just the Swordquest logo, and it needs to be big... bigger than you would typically use for online posting.

Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher http://homepage.mac.com/christopherdrum

Well, I haven't exactly done it from scratch, but I _have_ done a sort of mockup using the other box scans and retouching them here and there, plus adding the artwork on your page for AirWorld, replacing the text with a real Atari font for smoothness, and altering the name 'n stuff.

I've already done the fronts for both the 2600 and 5200 versions if you wanna take a look at 'em... they're probably not good enough for a print run, but what the hell. :-)

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

I have the Earthworld box, not sure off the top of my head if I have the Fireworld box. I can grab it out of my storage unit tomorrow (I'm going there anyway) and scan it up to 2400x2400 (optical) resolution if no one has provided you with a scan by then. Of course, that would result in a ridiculously large file, so I think I'd stick with a more reasonable resolution.

..Al

Not sure this is what your needing...but see if this is okay...

http://members.home.net/crossbow777/Images.../swordquest.gif

That is a slightly modified 300 dpi scan of just the SwordQuest Logo from my Fireworld Comic book front page. I edited it out most of the extra stuff caught in the scan so that you could get a fairly clean shot of just the logo.

Enjoy!

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

I can scan you the logo off the "Swordquest Challenge prochure" Its a lot bigger than the logo off the Water World box and you don't have to worry about Torr's hand thats in the way. I'll scan it to you and send it. Also I was seriosly thinking about doing Airworld concept sketches. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Thanks for everyone's help and information. I greatly appreciate it.

Mindfield - The Airworld page is not my own. I'm just a graphic artist who's submitting personal designs for the 2600 and 5200 box/cartridge artwork. Dutchman is the one who put the call out, and he told me that he's would like to have a variety of choices for the artwork. So, perhaps you would like to submit your work to him for consideration.

Albert - I believe you have already received my e-mail, and I appreciate your assistance in providing me with a good, high resolution scan.

Cro§Bow - That scan is really quite good for my needs. Between that one and Albert's scan, I feel certain I'll have exactly what I need. Thank you.

Mountain King - I don't think I'm going to need any other scans at this point. However, if you believe that your scan can provide sharper detail than Cro§Bow's version, then I'm open to receiving it. Of course I'm happy to get any and all help on this that I can. As for the concept sketches for Airworld, I would love to see them out of shear curiosity and general art interest, if you're willing to share. However, I believe I will be using the actual artwork produced for Airworld, as owned and maintained by the Atari Museum. I have been given a nice, large, high quality scan to work with... larger and more detailed than anything previously seen on the web... and the tone and colors of it are quite appealing to me. My only concern with it is that there is no sense of danger involved in it. All of the other Swordquest paintings have some element to them that at least implies a level of excitement and danger. The Airworld art is kind of serene. I've been tinkering with the idea of adding a little something to the background, but the game hasn't even been done yet, so I don't know what to add if anything.

skatepunk60 - I appreciate your offer to help with the design. I have been doing professional graphic art for about seven years now, and I already have quite a few label designs under my belt. Perhaps, though, you would like to take a stab at this project yourself and submit it to Dutchman? Try using Cro§Bow's Swordquest scan and the labels in AtariAge's archives as a starting point.

So to all, I still encourage you to send scans to my e-mail, if you so desire. Any and all visual information will prove useful in some way. I expect to have something posted by Monday. I have preliminary designs thought up, thinking about how I want the visual balance to work. I may put up a few variations and ask people to vote on them? Interested?

Christopher

http://homepage.mac.com/christopherdrum

What I'd love is a better (bigger) scan of the one on Dutchman's page. I've thus far redesigned the box art from scratch, but that scan on Dutchman's page is ... um ... tiny. It has to be enlarged to about 4x its size to even fit on the box art... Crossbow's scan has been invaluable, and the rest is easy, it's just that one pic. :-) Oh, and box top/bottom/side scans would be cool, too.

Glad to be of service...

I can of course scan that again at a much higher res..but I figured even at 300dpi and already converted to GIF format..that 470+kb was large enough. Still...I can scan up to 1200 if you really really want..hehe...

Albert, can scan even higher...so it is really up to what you need or want.

Either, way I am glad that my efforts weren't for not.

Okay, I've done box front mockups for the 2600 and 5200 versions of Airworld. Before I post the links, a few things:

1) Yes, I know, the picture below the Swordquest logo looks like utter crap. It's been enlarged 4x and more from its original, so, um ... yeah. It's about the best I can do. :-P

2) The boxes are identical except of course for the colour; red for 2600, blue for 5200.

3) The "2600" and "5200" aren't exact 'cos although I have an actual Atari font, I can't seem to find one to match the numbers used in the originals. :-P

4) Thees are large (just about 400k apiece) so it may be slow to display. The links open up in new windows.

Other than that everything's more or less okay. Let me know what you think.

Swordquest: Airworld (2600) Box - Front

Swordquest: Airworld (5200) Box - Front

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

I really don't think I'll need anything higher than this one. Even at this resolution, the screening of the printed piece is obscuring some of the finer detail in the edges of the logo, so anything bigger will probably become more corse, as the scanner peers down into the individual printed dots. Thank you for the scan.

Mindfield, I think you did a fine job considering the materials you had to work with. I have identified the typeface for the numbers "2600" and "5200". I don't have access to the file at this particular moment, but I'll post that later for you. The trick, I remember, is that the zeros are not zeros, but are actually the capital letter "O". I believe it was avant garde medium, if memory serves.

Hate to say this, but I looked at your mock-up and you seem to be doing the wrong box style. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dutchman says on his site that he wanted the box and label to look like Water World, which has a different style than the one you used. It is the 'Silver2' style, with the small "Atari2600" in the upper right. Check the WaterWorld box scan to see what I mean.

Well, admittedly I do like the style, but in fact I was using the Fireworld art as my reference point, as, at the time, I didn't have the Waterworld box to work with. (That only just recently saw the light of day on AtariAge) Alteration probably won't require much; the "Atari" and "2600" are TrueType fonts and so are easily scalable; the Swordquest logo, too, is large enough to be easily scaled down or, if necessary, up, if I get rid of the print screening with a filter. (Not much more though, as that'd soften the edges... I think it's large enough as it is tho)

As for making them smaller -- if you save the files, then double-click 'em to load them into your default pic viewer you should be able to zoom out to 25% or so and see the whole box easily enough. Obviously these were never meant for web viewing. :-)

I'll see what I can do to alter it to the Waterworld spec.

Christopher:

I have Avant Garde Medium, I beleve; I'll try the "26OO" trick and see how that pans out. Thanks. :-)

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

Okay, here's the rough draft of the "Silver2" style box for Airworld. I've shrunk it down to screen res for display purposes (the original artwork is humungous and because the Pegasus-and-Rider pic looks utterly revolting blown up as large as it is (which is considerably larger than the original "Silver" style box). At any rate, as I said, it's a rough draft, but I think I did well enough with what I had to work with.

And I can't find that "Avant Garde Medium" font on my system, so I had to make do with Arial. :-/

Swordquest: Airworld Box Art (Silver2) - Front

By the way, anyone know what the exact dimensions of those boxes are? I guessed here, but I know it's too tall...