IGNORED

8bit HSC: Berzerk

Goochman

Folks - I will be out of town the next 2 days so I prob wont be able to update the scoreboard - Contest ends Fri, next one starts on Sun when I post the 2 games to play. We will have a 'Gem' and 'Classic Arcade' game to play - Hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am :D

Also,

If someone wants to volunteer to run a week I have no problem with that either ;)

Got the humanoid. Got the chicken.

I wanted to say that I just managed a score of 8130! It still puts me waaaaaay out of the running for the top spot but this has to be my best 8Bit "Berzerk" score ever!

Tips & Tricks...

ok. I know they are doing this over in the 2600 high score clubs so here are mine. Boy oh boy I wish I had time to participate in both clubs. lol.

But I'm old and need warm-up time with my games.

Ok here goes

Extra! Extra! - You get an extra life every 5000 so hang in there. If you make it to 10,000 that is two extra life's you have to squeek out those extra few points.

I, Robot - The robots are pretty dumb. Watch how they move, alot of times you can get them to run into each other. I've completed entire levels without firing a shot. The robot's explosion area is bigger than the space he takes up so this makes it even easier.

Kill all robots - Kill them all and you get 10 points for each robot in that level.

Campers! - Some robots just like to sit there and refuse to move. Try and find a way around them. In the earlier levels you can even get around them without getting hit by a diagonal.

Keep Moving - Don't hang around the entry point too long or Otto will get you. The less robots on the screen (or left) the quicker he comes. So don't idle!!

Evil, Otto is your friend - Use evil otto to kill those out of the way robots. No point in running around wasting needless energy.

What's the matter, chicken? - If things get to hot, just exit the level. Sometimes it's worth saving the extra life instead of getting bonus points. After all, this is a high score club, not an ego club? Or is it? :D

Neckless horseman - For the more co-ordinated... You character has no neck, so if you position yourself right, the robot's shots will miss you.

Location, location, location - It's easier to hit a robot to the right or left if your below them. It's easier to get a robot above and to the right of you. Both without him even firing a shot!

Left to right - I prefer to enter the left and head out the right exit. Seems to be easier to deal with the robots. My 2nd preference is bottom to top. This may just be a preference, or it really is easier.

Forget the diagonals - diagonal shots are possible, but nine times out of ten a robot will get a shot off and get you as well. Also move around to keep them from catching you in diagonal crossfire.

Don't change that dial! - Just because the game ends doesn't mean you wont score more. Wait a few seconds to see if any robots run into or shoot eachother.

Don't be afraid to hit start a few times - Sometimes the first level can be loaded with lots of non-firing robots. Why not take advantage of the situation?

In the higher levels it's nearly impossible to dodge the robot's shots, so with a little luck and perseverance you can probably eek out a better score.

I think that is about it...

Ok folks - I have no idea where timezones are and such so scores will be accepted until I check this msg on Sat EDT :) - This is for fun so the rules can be stretched a bit ;)

Looks like Drol and Gorf will start next week but you can still vote!

How have I ruined this thread? I'm sorry about the picture size, I just took it and loaded it into the computer and sent it off. I really should have photoshopped the image size down, but I wasn't thinking. I also did this as a joke because I own the arcade in my garage. I didn't get a chance to play the 8 bit version and post a score for that. I'm sorry if I angered people or ruined the thread, that wasn't my intentions.

-mike

How have I ruined this thread?  I'm sorry about the picture size, I just took it and loaded it into the computer and sent it off.  I really should have photoshopped the image size down, but I wasn't thinking.  I also did this as a joke because I own the arcade in my garage.  I didn't get a chance to play the 8 bit version and post a score for that.  I'm sorry if I angered people or ruined the thread, that wasn't my intentions.

-mike

Okay, maybe the word ruined was a little harsh, but it isn't cool putting a gigantic

picture of something that doesn't pertain to the topic (8bit berzerk).

It makes it hard to read things that go past one line.

Cut -n- paste em into wordpad or notepad.

:D

Okay, I just hit quote and read them on the topic review on the bottom.

Good tips :thumbsup: , but whenever I get to those white robots that shoot really fast (around 8000) I start dying left and right.

That was gonna be my next suggestion.

As you have noted, when the score gets around 8000 it's pure luck practically. But I have found if you move your player around just right you can get most of the robots to kill of themselves.

In addition if you take advantage of positioning (and distance) you can get the rest, or just exit the level.

The biggest problem are the camper robots. Sometimes they occupy a path you have to cross.

Eventually the colors cycle back to yellow. These guys shot ridiculously fast!!!

Looks like I'm gonna have to whip out my gp32 for some of these contests due to my weird work schedule. A pity the 2600 emulation on it is not any better.

This weeks contest has ended - thanks to all who played and congrats to the winner!

As for tips here are 2 from me:

1 Diagnoal is a no win situation - you will die if you have a diagnoal angle to the robot

2 Only 2 Robots can shoot at a time, therefore if 2 robots are trying to shoot you, you can get other robots (get the diagonal guys) - but this changes once a robot is killed or starts moving

This is very well mapped to the arcade game and is one of the best console editions of this!

Make sure you vote for next weeks games - I will announce the 2 games tomorrow (Sun) night!