IGNORED

High Score Club Week 2: Superman!

Ze_ro

Do you guys use the subway to get around? Or do you actually memorize the layout of the city from above ground?

Also, everyone remembers that video of that crazy 11-min run through SMB3 right? Well, I think it would be awesome if someone was able to do some similar videos through 2600 games. Of course, there are very few "beatable" 2600 games that you could really do this with, but I think speed runs through games like Superman, Adventure, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Dark Chambers, Secret Quest, etc would be killer! Are there any 2600 emulators that let you record your game somehow?

--Zero

1. Here's an extremely useful habit into which you can fall after just a little conditioning: Use your X-Ray Vision to glimpse the next screen for just a fraction of a second, tapping the button so quickly that a blink would cause a spectator to miss it. Do this while you're flying; just quickly hit and release the button as if you were firing a bullet. This allows you to peep at the longitude of any upcoming Kryptonite Satellite and still have time to adjust your own altitude to miss it. It also works great for adjusting your course to meet an imminent bad guy. After a few tries, you'll develop the visual sensitivity necessary to pick out the Kryptonite or crook with a micro-second screen-peek.

2. If you leave the button held down while rotating the joystick, you can quickly glance at all four surrounding areas while you hover. This works really well when you're searching for crooks. If you're in the subway (or Daily Planet) and spot someone while you're already carrying a bridge piece or baddie, just make a mental note of the color of the screen in which your future target lurks and the direction in which he seems to be headed. You can quickly return and grab him or follow him from the screen on which you saw him.

3. A good first screen to check is the one to the right of the jail; a few bad guys usually hang out there after the bridge blows. While you're there, use X-Ray Vision to glance at the screen above. Lex usually starts out up there. After this general area's cleaned up, IMMEDIATELY collect the bridge pieces (they're always on the same screens, which are all quickly attainable from the jail) before the helicopter displaces them. Now go to the screen below the jail and enter the subway. You'll quickly find someone to nab.

4. One screen to the left of the pink subway room is the jail. One screen to the left of the yellow subway room is the Daily Planet. The jail's one screen to the right of the bridge and one up.

Superman! One of my all-time favorites. I used to be very good at it 20 years ago, but haven't done well on it since picking up the joysticks again. It's going to be great fun getting reacquainted with this game.

1:11.  8)  

This is WITHOUT the "X-Ray Vision" cheat, obviously. (That 0:56 from Twin Galaxies is probably WITH the cheat, which I don't think should count.)

I'll be happy to share some strategies if anyone needs them.

Great time!

What exactly is the "X-Ray Vision Cheat"?

C. Sly -- On some versions of the cartridge, right when you turn on the VCS, if you move the stick to the right while already holding down the fire button (INSTEAD OF moving the stick first, which just causes Superman to fall into the phone booth as usual), the X-Ray Vision will show you the bridge screen. Wait a few seconds and then let go of the button, and Superman won't have to turn into Clark Kent before flying away -- plus the bridge hasn't blown up, so all you have to do is round up the bad guys. (Three extra bridge pieces are stacked in one location in the subway anyway, but these are now insignificant to beating the game.)

Again, I don't think this should count in our nifty High Score Club.

Also, everyone remembers that video of that crazy 11-min run through SMB3 right?

Maybe you know this, but that was not a real game (done with save states frame by frame). Still amazing tho!!

Are there any 2600 emulators that let you record your game somehow?

PCAE does. Or you can just record a real game into a video capture card.

-paul

Hey, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game... Through three games, I got 6:02, 4:56, and finally 2:04... the next two games I was only able to get 2:08 and then 2:09, so at least I'm consistent :P I'm still kind of wandering randomly to find a lot of the stuff, so once I get it nailed down where all the bridge bits are, I'll probably be able to get that time down to at least 1:30 or so.

The most useful bits of knowledge that I've gotten so far (I haven't seen any of the online maps yet) is that exiting left from the red subway screen will bring you to the jail, exiting left from the teal (?) subway screen will bring you to the Daily Planet (useful once you've cleaned up everything), and going down and then left from the jail will get you to the river where you need to put the bridge pieces.

Once you've got everyone in jail, and the bridge is fixed, go left to get to the phone booth, and then immediately move to your right across the bridge and into the subway. As soon as you enter the subway, move left and you'll be at the Daily Planet.

Also, you don't have to sit and watch the bridge explode. Go onto the screen for a split second, and then go right back to the phone booth to become Superman... you'll hear the bridge explode, and you'll save a second or two.

--Zero

C. Sly -- On some versions of the cartridge, right when you turn on the VCS, if you move the stick to the right while already holding down the fire button (INSTEAD OF moving the stick first, which just causes Superman to fall into the phone booth as usual), the X-Ray Vision will show you the bridge screen. Wait a few seconds and then let go of the button, and Superman won't have to turn into Clark Kent before flying away -- plus the bridge hasn't blown up, so all you have to do is round up the bad guys. (Three extra bridge pieces are stacked in one location in the subway anyway, but these are now insignificant to beating the game.)

Thanks for the info. :)

Again, I don't think this should count in our nifty High Score Club.

I agree, that's clearly a cheat.

In case anyone didn't notice, I've compiled the tips submitted so far into the first post in this thread... they're after the member listing. If you're just joining up, you might want to read them over, and take a good long look at the map that is linked from there.

And in case anyone is still interested, I also did the same for Circus Atari. (Boy, that took a while!)

--Zero

I love the work on the layout, Ze_Ro! Very colourful! :D 8)

I agree Kuru, I can't stop playing it, even though my index finger is all crackly....

Oh, and off topic, I love the webcomic Kuru. I read it whenever I can, and often laugh hartily. :D

Edit: WOAH, edit structure just wrecked my post, so I'll try again. :_(

I typed what I remembered, and my new score, which I tried to edit in, is 1:39!

--------

Chase Hermsen

Yeah I thought I was gonna have to bow out of this game because I didn't have it. Well a quick search of my local hot spots turned up a cart!! I've never played this game sounds interesting. I'll quickly checking out my other finds, then I'll play. I'll come back with a time. It's gonna be like 30:00 or something.

OK 5:14 to start. I see map memorization is essential here. I need to look up the bugs your speaking of ze-ro.