IGNORED

alternative CPU?

Heaven/TQA

It was done by a couple of companies, first Dataque did in back in the late 80s, early 90s and was even working on having Reevesoft do a version of Diamond OS for it, but it never came to pass....

There are some recent upgrades done out in Europe too with some nice tools....

Its a tough deal, even though the 65816 is directly backward compatible with the 6502, the problem is getting the new OS written and apps to take advantage of it, then you have the ANTIC issue of not being to use the cpu at higher rates without having the antic turned on, the one nice benefit would be 16mbs of linear usable memory.

I was going through some paperwork two weeks ago, and I found an article from 1991 on how Commodore was developing a C65 (thats not a typo) which had Amiga-like graphics...

For our trusty 8bits, a real solution would be a super-antic and gtia with double the resolution: 640 X 384 and at least 256 simultaneous color's

I have some really difficult to read ANTIC and GTIA schematics up, I am working on getting higher resolution cleaner ones that can be released like the TIA's I released a while back...

Curt

I was going through some paperwork two weeks ago, and I found an article from 1991 on how Commodore was developing a C65 (thats not a typo) which had Amiga-like graphics...

The C65 was actually completed, but not released. I understand that several thousand units were ultimately produced (some not fully assembled), and that several hundred NTSC and PAL units actually made it out the door before Commodore dissolved in the early '90s. You see these things very occasionally on eBay, but they command extremely high prices. I believe that the last one sold in the range of $1000.