IGNORED

Sky Jaguar High Score Contest - Winner Announced!

Albert

SkyJaguarHighScore.jpgCongratulations to Troy Whelan, who submitted the high score in the Sky Jaguar High Score Contest! Troy's score of 185,360 nets him a copy of the ColecoVision version of Magical Tree, a game that was developed and completed by Opcode Games. Magical Tree will not be available for purchase, and Troy will be one of the lucky few who own a copy of this game, complete with a beautiful label designed by Dale Crum! Congratulations to Troy Whelan and thanks to everyone who entered!

Wow! 185K is amazing high. :thumbsup:

Congratulations Troy! :)

And thanks everybody for trying. Don't worry if you didn't win this time. There will be more chances to win a copy of Magical Tree in the future.

Eduardo

What a great day for me! :)

I think a great deal of thanks should go to Eduardo at OpCode Games for offering this prize, and also to Al at Atari Age for sponsoring the contest. So, Thank You both very much! I enjoyed the competition very much and I am looking forward to playing Magical Tree. I hope more contests will be sponsored in the future, and I will be sure to post a review of Magical Tree after I have had a chance to play it. ;)

Troy 8)

I just got my Sky Jaguar today for $20. It is a great game, with a nice looking box and manual too. I also like how it has "Opcode" embossed in the cartrige handle. :)

I don't think I could have managed 185k anyway. Congratulations Troy_Whelan :)

Am i second? :) Is there a prize for the second best score? :D

Congratulations Troy Whelan. 185k is amazing high. I managed to score more than 100k (standard CV controller) with only 1 spaceship but once you lost the double shot, sky jaguar becomes a tough game. ;)

Congratulations Troy Whelan. 185k is amazing high. I managed to score more than 100k (standard CV controller) with only 1 spaceship but once you lost the double shot' date=' sky jaguar becomes a tough game. ;)[/quote']

Yeah, your only real hope at that point is to survive long enough to regain the double shot. I was able to get to 119K before I lost the first flyer, but I lost 3 more before I got to 123K all in scene 11! Shortly after that, I was able to regain the double shot which helped a lot. I then did not lose another flyer until 171K, but then I lost 2 more before I got to 175K in scene 16. I lost my final (8th) flyer in scene 17 (start of 3rd series) at just over 185K.

Congratulations Troy Whelan. 185k is amazing high. I managed to score more than 100k (standard CV controller) with only 1 spaceship but once you lost the double shot' date=' sky jaguar becomes a tough game. ;)[/quote']

Yeah, your only real hope at that point is to survive long enough to regain the double shot. I was able to get to 119K before I lost the first flyer, but I lost 3 more before I got to 123K all in scene 11! Shortly after that, I was able to regain the double shot which helped a lot. I then did not lose another flyer until 171K, but then I lost 2 more before I got to 175K in scene 16. I lost my final (8th) flyer in scene 17 (start of 3rd series) at just over 185K.

I suppose all of you noticed that if you get a second "pow" without loosing a life after the first one, then you will be given a third shot on screen (in addition to the double shot)... :) That makes a big difference if you have a fast thumb...

• 2 weeks later...

I received my ColecoVision Magical Tree prize today! :D

I have been playing this quite a bit today, and I posted a review at www.opcodegames.com. I have also copied the review below for those who are interested. Thanks again to Eduardo Mello and Albert Yarusso for making this possible.! :)

This game is only available as a contest prize through OpCode Games, and you should definitely try to win this one! I received this game by winning the Sky Jaguar High Score Contest through Atari Age.

At first, the game seems very simplistic as it appears that you are simply climbing a tree by jumping from branch to branch. However, the game becomes much more challenging as you progress. In the first level, you are simply trying to climb the tree while avoiding owls and not falling off the branches. You can knock fruit into the owls for points and there are bonus items for additional points. You can even hang from a branch (instead of walking on it) to avoid dangers. If you fall from the tree you do not lose a life, you simply start again from the last check point. You only lose a life by coming in contact with one of the dangers such as an owl or a bee hive. As you progress to the second level, timing becomes much more important with the bee hives moving up and down while the owls are flying across the screen and you are still trying to climb upwards. Now there are even clouds floating by with lightning that could knock you out of the tree! I just received this game today, and I am currently playing in the third level where timing and speed are very important. There is no countdown clock, but you still must avoid the dangers on the screen while moving upward in order to survive. Although I had not heard of this game before the contest, I do find it very enjoyable. The game continues to evolve as the levels increase, and I am looking forward to reaching the top of the tree (if that is possible)!

This game does not come with a box or manual, but the label has professional high quality art work by Dale Crum and the game has been programmed by Eduardo Mello. Congratulations to Dale and Eduardo on a job well done!

I received my ColecoVision Magical Tree prize today!   :D  

The game continues to evolve as the levels increase, and I am looking forward to reaching the top of the tree (if that is possible)!

It's possible. There is a surprise waiting for you! :D

Eduardo