IGNORED

High Score Club Week 4: Megamania!

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Megamania, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

It's time to ready your fleet of mobile blasters, and warm up your trigger finger, because this week's game is Megamania!

Game Information
Game Megamania
Left Difficulty A / Expert: Missiles Fire Slower
Right Difficulty Not Applicable
Game Mode Game 1: 1 Player, Guided Missiles
Chosen By jeepnut24

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, May 2nd at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules.

In case you don't have a copy of this game, feel free to visit AtariAge's Profile Page for this game, where you can not only find the ROM (Whoops! AtariAge doesn't host downloads for Activision games! I'm afraid you'll have to find it elsewhere), but also a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by Adrian M. Please send me a private message with your choice as soon as possible Adrian M! (done)

Scores for This Game Current Rankings
High Score Club:

• [*]goldfuji.gif999,999 (sku_u)
[+12]
[*]goldfuji.gif999,999 (ToddRogers) [+12]
[*]goldfuji.gif999,999 (homerwannabee) [+12]
[*]416,600 (taxman) [+10]
[*]357,880 (Jeffy Arensmeyer) [+8]
[*]255,040 (bobafett07728) [+7]
[*]214,580 (Ze_ro) [+6]
[*]172,560 (Goochman) [+5]
[*]162,940 (Numan) [+4]
[*]162,490 (Kurushimi) [+3]
[*]148,350 (jedijeff) [+2]
[*]129,160 (Stingray) [+1]
[*]123,190 (chrisbid)
[*]108,340 (InanimateCarbonRod)
[*]107,580 (mikeftrevino)
[*]103,030 (Albert)
[*]100,930 (Christophero Sly)
[*]99,800 (Chris++)
[*]98,350 (Keir)
[*]98,100 (DeV0)
[*]96,400 (shining slade)
[*]94,420 (Saikyo)
[*]75,700 (LarcenTyler)
[*]69,470 (Robert M)
[*]68,670 (moycon)
[*]67,640 (Kepone)
[*]59,300 (Shannon)
[*]55,520 (Saldo)
[*]55,110 (stayrunner)
[*]53,440 (jeepnut24)
[*]52,100 (HermChase)
[*]47,970 (figgler)
[*]47,830 (gospeedde)
[*]42,830 (maibock)
[*]40,130 (Old_Atarian)
[*]37,750 (ScottHuggins)
[*]34,640 (gamerz)
[*]33,220 (Tsukasa)
[*]17,340 (Happy_Dude)
[*]13,720 (128bytes)
[*]9130 (Dan Iacovelli)
[*]6520 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)

Statistics:
  • Average Score: 184,599
    [*]Std. Deviation: 42,245
    [*]Total Score: 7,937,766

Best Tips:

TwinGalaxies Top 3:

999,999 (8 People)
  • Bryan Wagner
    [*]David Yancey
    [*]Douglas Korekach
    [*]Natalie Purawec
    [*]Robert Macauley
    [*]Ron Corcoran
    [*]Todd Rogers
    [*]Troy Whelan

• [*]stayrunner
[22]
[*]Stingray [16]
[*]jedijeff [16]
[*]Ze_ro [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]Todd Rogers [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [11]
[*]taxman [9]
[*]sku_u [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]bobafett07728 [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]bjk7382 [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]Saldo [4]
[*]Chris++ [3]
[*]Kurushimi [3]
[*]Keir [2]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]Shannon [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]chrisbid [0]
[*]Robert M [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Numan [0]
[*]Goochman [0]
[*]LarcenTyler [0]
[*]homerwannabee [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]gospeedde [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]maibock [0]
[*]128bytes [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Nateo [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Member List
Adrian M, the 5th ghost, johnnywc, jedijeff, maximebeauvais, bjk7382, HermChase, Goochman, NE146, Cootster, 128bytes, Kurushimi, liquid_sky, intvgene, ScottHuggins, InanimateCarbonRod, pmpddytim, Xot, Scooterb23, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikefrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa

Scoring Points in Megamania
Attacking Object Point Value
Hamburgers 20
Cookies 30
Bugs 40
Radial Tires 50
Diamonds 60
Steam Irons 70
Bow Ties 80
Space Dice 90
After you finish this cycle of objects, the cycle repeats over and over with all enemies worth 90 points. There seems to be three distinct difficulties for each wave of objects, so the difficulty maxes out after you beat the third wave of Space Dice.
You receive bonus points for each energy unit you have remaining at the moment you destroy the last object in an enemy wave. Each energy unit is worth the point value of each attacker in bonus points. For example, in the first wave, if you have 30 energy units left after destroying all the attacking hamburgers, you will be awarded 600 bonus points. There are 80 total energy units in your energy bar in the beginning of each wave.
Patch Score - MegaManiacs Patch awarded at 45,000 points.
Score Rolls? - No, game ends at 999,999.

Hints and Tips
For the Diamonds and Bowties, always aim for the bottom row first because those will be the ones shooting at you first. Get them out of the way to give yourself breathing room against the rest. Also, keep track of the ones that are shooting and take out the non-shooting enemies when you can. The shooting ones will stay shooting till you hit them.

Also, on the Diamonds (in the 2nd level and up), I like to use what I call the typewriter technique. Basically follow the enemies and shoot while moving right. When they stop, you stop (if you have room to pick off a non-firing enemy, DO IT quick). Then, when they do the speed burst forward again, move left against the grain (watching out for their shots, while shooting at them) and get back to the middle of the screen and repeat the process. Sometimes I use this for the Bowties too. (the 5th ghost)
On the Space Dice stage, ALWAYS try to keep in the middle of the screen (especially from the 3rd level on). If you get to the corner, get out as fast as you can. Always try to move with the enemies, this helps maneuvering to avoid getting hit. This is also VERY important on the Cookies and Radial Tires stages. Move With the enemies and fire away! (the 5th ghost)
For the Irons: Just hold down the fire button (you will keep shooting automatically) and simply move side to side to direct your shots at the Irons. When you get down to the last few Irons, then release the fire button and pick them off with single, well aimed shots. Remember though, you can't fire another shot till your missile either hits an enemy or reaches the top of the screen. Keep this in mind for the faster enemies! (the 5th ghost)
Keep in mind that enemies wrap around the screen, so if an enemy changes directions, it might be easier to move the opposite direction so you can ambush it when it emerges on the other side (Not to mention that you have a better chance of catching up to it before it changes direction). (Ze_ro)
For most of the waves, the enemies move in predictable patterns, with synchronized turns. If you can get in sync with the timing, you can slip between enemies and have an easier time shooting them. (Ze_ro)
Strangely enough, it might be to your advantage to play this on an old, crappy TV. If your TV has very slow phosphor decay, you'll be able to see trails left by enemies... you can then more easily judge where they're going to go next, and where they'll turn around. Slow phosphor decay also makes it a bit easier to see the blue-on-black missiles. (Ze_ro)
Here's a little tip that should be obvious (especially to Kaboom players):

If you're an amateur then build up your full boat of six reserve ships. Pros like me can start doing this from the beginning . . . just before you are about to earn a new ship, allow yourself to be destroyed. You'll then earn all those points from the reserve fuel. Now your new life begins, you finish the wave, and earn those fuel points all over again. (NovaXpress)
Here are some good hints on how to get a higher score. First remember three main levels that you are likely to get killed on the cookie level, the tire level and the rolling dice level.
Be careful when you are on the cookie level sometimes the first cookie will fire a shot right at the middle of the screen where you're at. I usually go to the left or right right away. Sometimes you can avoid the wave by doing this. With the tires there are a couple of things you can do here. First for some reason the shake and bake method works. This basically means when you are shooting at the tire be sure to move the controller back and forth real quickly for some reason it's easier to hit them when you do this. Also remember it is possible to go in between the two tires when they are coming at you. For the diamonds and bowties I trie to sit under a space where there are no diamonds or bowties when they are paused. The diamond level is probably the forth hardest level so be careful. With the Vacume cleaners (Editor: Actually, they're supposed to be Irons) you need to shoot atleast two consecutive vacume cleaners under each colume before they come down. After you do this you can concentrate on two of the columns without worrying about one of the outer edge columns. I think the key to the rolling dice one is to be extremly accurate at first and then get out of the way when there headed at you. Also I find it extremly easy to go back and forth real quick to kill of the space ships and the bugs. Also after awhile the game starts repeting itself big time so if you can go through the hard stage once there is no reason why you can't go through it a second, third or fourteenth time. (homerwannabee)
Ok here is an idea, this may be a stupid idea but then again it may help some it all depends on the player. When i wanted to get REAL good at a game years ago and even now i would incoorportate the idea of the suggestion that i made earlier about the 1Ship. What i would do is i would play a game and mentally tell myself that i was on my last Man/Ship and when i died i reset my game. Eventually i was at the level where i was zipping thru stages like they were nothing because i mentally told myself that i was down to my last Man/Ship and when i got extra ones it was just an added bonus when i was playing for real i guess its the adrenalin that kept me going at a rapid pace. (ToddRogers)
When you are in a pinch dont try to over do it and get risky do not take chances let them come to you, remember you have an energy bar and it gets replenished when you finish the wave. Always make an opening or and exit to escape the oncoming enemies so you can shoot at them the next go around. Sometimes on the the waves where the enemies scroll across just avoid the bullets and stay still and just shoot straight up and they will get hit remember its all in the timing. On the waves where they zig zag and cross remember the opening hint as long as you can make an opening you can slip thru the enemies. On the iron waves do the exact thing shoot all 3 bottom enemies at first if you can then make your initial opening on each row. As long as you have an opening you can slip in between them and finish them off dont get trapped. The energy bar is valuable as long as you have even a little bit of the energy bar you will survive to the next level. Rememer this is about endurance not how fast you can score. The next is remembering the pattern sequence of what the next enemies will do. Once you figure that out then the game will fall into place DONT GET GREEDY you will get to where you want to be eventually. Game at your OWN pace remember YOU are the one in control of your game. (ToddRogers)
The speed maxxes out on the 3rd level. That's when the enemy shots start to fire really fast. The space dice pattern maxxes at the 4th level. (the 5th ghost)
Remember my tip to "move with the enemy" on the Radial Tire stage. This IS a tough stage but try to stay relaxed there. Keep moving quickly Left to Right but try to hit your first Radial Tire as early as possible.

A great way to knock out the Radial Tires in bunches is this:

Usually if you hit one, if you stay in the general area and keep shooting by holding down the Fire Button, you will hit more in a row. This will in a way clear a path for you to give yourself more room to move while clearing more Radial Tires.

Try to do this technique early in order to quickly reduce the number of Radial Tires and still have time to pick off the remaining few before the Energy Bar runs out. You can hit them by remaining stationary, but its best to keep moving back and forth to stay out of the way of the shots fired at you and to avoid the quickly descending Radial Tires. Just don't let the quick back and forth movement of the Radial Tires throw you off while trying to shoot them. (the 5th ghost)
The Cookies are another stage that can be trouble on the 3rd level but once you get the timing of when they shift directions (after they change directions twice) this level can be completed easily. Use the same technique of clearing them in bunches by holding down the fire button and clearing a bunch of Cookies in a row. Soon you will have planty of room to move and the rest will be easy to get under and pick off. (the 5th ghost)

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

Are they serious? Only 8 people are credited with scoring the maximum 999,999?

I score that EVERY TIME on any difficulty configuration you wish. There has to be more of us out there. I'm a great game player, but I don't think I'm that great.

Though come to think of it, I don't think the MegaManFan has ever outscored me on a classic video game. He owns me on the modern consoles though.

Yeah im afraid it's the same for all Activision games unless they change thier policy

(Which just wont happen) then you will have to either get the game its self

and dump the rom, buy the compilation or :ahoy: which i dont condone doing :sad:

Any way ill be posting my scores in later and yes if I remember rightly I have gotten

999,999 as well so I should own at this one! :)

I liked the idea of the slower missiles, I thought it would make getting 999,999 a bit tougher. For some reason though, it seemed to make it easier, well for me at least. 8)

Here's some tips:

Tip 1:

For the Diamonds and Bowties, always aim for the bottom row first because those will be the ones shooting at you first. Get them out of the way to give yourself breathing room against the rest. Also, keep track of the ones that are shooting and take out the non-shooting enemies when you can. The shooting ones will stay shooting till you hit them.

Also, on the Diamonds (in the 2nd level and up), I like to use what I call the typewriter technique. Basically follow the enemies and shoot while moving right. When they stop, you stop (if you have room to pick off a non-firing enemy, DO IT quick). Then, when they do the speed burst forward again, move left against the grain (watching out for their shots, while shooting at them) and get back to the middle of the screen and repeat the process. Sometimes I use this for the Bowties too.

Tip 2:

On the Space Dice stage, ALWAYS try to keep in the middle of the screen (especially from the 3rd level on). If you get to the corner, get out as fast as you can. Always try to move with the enemies, this helps maneuvering to avoid getting hit. This is also VERY important on the Cookies and Radial Tires stages. Move With the enemies and fire away!

Tip 3:

For the Irons: Just hold down the fire button (you will keep shooting automatically) and simply move side to side to direct your shots at the Irons. When you get down to the last few Irons, then release the fire button and pick them off with single, well aimed shots. Remember though, you can't fire another shot till your missile either hits an enemy or reaches the top of the screen. Keep this in mind for the faster enemies!

Good luck everyone else!

Mmmmmmmm, Megamania.  Please sign me up.  :)

Also, the tips and tricks that people have been writing up are great--what do people think about adding these to the main AtariAge database entry for each game?  

..Al

Adding the tips and tricks to the db would be a great idea!

I just scored 999,999 on my 1st try. I have a feeling that you will have a lot of people tied for 1st place on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Megamania. It's one of my favorite Activision titles.

I have an idea, to break ties list also how many men you have left as well.  Finally some scores that Todd Rogers will not be able to beat ;)

Ok, when I got 999,999 this morning I had 6 guys left 8)

I would guess that the whole game, I lost only 25 men, which is wierd because the last time I got 999,999 with the FAST missiles, I died almost 80 times till I hit 999,999.

Like I said before, for some reason the slower missiles seemed to help me control my shots better and be more effective. STRAIGHT and SLOW missiles would probably be tougher, I may have to try it too! :twisted:

I beleive that on the second level the enemies are supposed to be

Either girders, an opened zip or some kind of food maybe french fries? :?

Tip for this level the first time around

try to move with the enemies occasionaly taking pop shots underneath them repeat the tactic and the screen should be cleared in no time!