IGNORED

HAUNTED ADVENTURE final soon (Adventure + Haunted House)

atwwong

Yeah it does...but it could just as well be added back in...and the b&w switch is currently unused in the optimized code, but you could add it back to perform any function you'd like (just AND the SWCHB location with #$08 to see if color is selected).

What was it going to be used for? You can PM me if you don't want to spill any beans.

Yeah it does...but it could just as well be added back in...and the b&w switch is currently unused in the optimized code, but you could add it back to perform any function you'd like (just AND the SWCHB location with #$08 to see if color is selected).

What was it going to be used for?  You can PM me if you don't want to spill any beans.

No big secret - I wanted to give the user a choice between an invisible hand (magnet) and eye (dot) and coloured ones, like a difficulty level choice but changing colours of these two objects in the game. :)

No problem. You know that color-changing "flicker" code patch for the surround? Just alter it to test for those objects...and ORA the SWCHB bit onto it. If the switch is off, it will have a value of 0...if it's on, it will have a value of 8. I'd just add 1 to the color value of the objects in the matrix...bit 0 is ignored for the 2600's colors, so you can use that to set the bit of any object you want the user to have choice in. Then patch the ChangeColor routine...(bold type is the additions)

ChangeColor:

TAY ;save the color for a second;2

AND #$01 ;check the unused bit of the color;2

BNE Option ;branch if user has choice;2

TYA ;otherwise, restore the color...;2

JMP NoOption ;...and jump ahead;3

Option:

STY $D8 ;save the current color to the temp ram;2

LDA SWCHB ;load the console switches;3

AND #$08 ;keep only the color/bw switch;2

ORA $D8 ;...and throw the color back in;3

BNE EndOption ;skip to the end;2

NoOption:

LSR ;If bit 0 of the color is set;2

BCC ChangeColor_2 ;then the room is to flash;2

TAY ;Use color as an index (usually E5- the low counter);2

LDA.wy $0080,Y ;Get flash color (usually the low counter.);4

ChangeColor_2:

LDY $E6 ;Get the input counter;3

BPL ChangeColor_3 ;If console/joystick moved reciently then branch;2

EOR $E6 ;Merge the high counter with the color wanted;3

AND #$FB ;Keep this color bug merge down the luminance;2

ChangeColor_3:

ASL ;And restore original color if necessary;2

EndOption:

RTS ;6

What this will do is check to see if the first bit is on...and then ORA the value of the console switch in if it is. In the object matrix, you'll need to set the bit on any object that you want that option applied to (so $00 black will be $01 instead...just add 1).

Oops...I forgot to mention that you'll want to JSR to the NoOption tag when the program is deciding colors for the playfield...

;Use Color

LDY #$02 ;load Y offset;2

LDA ($93),Y ;Get room color;5

JSR NoOption ;skip a bit further in the patched routine;6

and...

UseColor:

LDA #$08 ;Get light grey background;2

;erase the JSR...no need to change colors after loading the background color

JSRing to the middle of the routine instead of to the ChangeColor tag. That will allow the walls to still flash when you beat the game.

The optimized source code has made the player and maze walls the same colour as the lighting, so that everything except the objects and light are invisible in invisible maps :( Going to plow through the code...

Nevermind. Found something called "playfield control"... :)

(Woohoo! I'm a Star Raider now! :D )

Code ported; some maps had to be altered; beginning to test additions... :ponder:

Bad news first... Nukey sent me some more great ideas for coding (in addition to those posted here), but it will take me too long to figure out and implement it now that my grad studies have begun :( He has been very helpful and I don't want to keep bugging him for all the little details until I try out the options first. BTW, many thanks, Nukey... 8) Your coding ideas will not be wasted as I fully intend to use them when I have more time, and I'll let you know what's up! ;)

Good news now... I am going to release the final version soon (a relative term) after I make a decent readme file explaining differences in the game (to help Stan out) :) Also AtariAge will be giving me info on carts & manuals soon... (thanks Albert) :D

First of all, thank you Out_of_Gas for inspiring me to work hard on this hack. Your cart mockups gave me the idea to make this into a cart in the first place. 8) Please don't feel bad... ;)

Second, would anyone like to help me create a label for the cart and manual for this hack? This could just be a mini-contest and I would buy the winner a copy of this cart with the printed manual.

Third, Stan Jr. said it was a no-no to reuse art from another game (Haunted House 2 contest), but I am partial to a few of those and Albert was inquiring. :ponder:

Second, would anyone like to help me create a label for the cart and manual for this hack?

I have no interest in a contest (since I don't have the time to work on something that may not see proper use), but would be happy to accept the job of creating the label and manual for you.

You can PM me what you have in mind and what your requirements are (i.e. type of label, # of pages in manual, etc.)

but would be happy to accept the job of creating the label and manual for you.

You can PM me what you have in mind and what your requirements are (i.e. type of label, # of pages in manual, etc.)

Rhindle the Red,

The manual write up is finally finished, barring grammatical errors :D I have sent you a PM; awaiting your reply! :)

A final release is imminent as soon as I get an okay from Rhindle to release the write up to the forums! :D

“Old man Graves is very, very angry...” - Old man Johnson

It is now 2004 and you enter Graves Manor in order to return the skull of Zachary Graves to its proper resting place in the newly discovered crypt beneath the house.  The closer you get to the mansion, the more you feel the powerful curse.  As you enter the first floor of the house, you stumble through a previously unknown section and become trapped behind a hidden panel.  Now the haunted adventure begins...

Here is Haunted Adventure with the final .bin and an html manual. Rhindle is currently working on a cart label and a manual for the AtariAge store! :D

I'd like to thank everyone for all their help in making this hack - this has been a lot of fun! 8) I'm not finished hacking, but I do need to put some more time into my studies for now. But I'll definitely be around - since I can't seem to stay away from the forums, regardless of whether I'm studying or not! ;)

Cheers!

hauntadv.zip

I am not recruiting Atarius but take a gander at his Adventure + label. Great Label and very inspiring Artwork. Cheers

Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't actually do the artwork for that label. It was done by a (former) friend who is a tattoo artist by trade. His website is actually quoted on the label itself. I'm sure Rhindle the Red will do a great job, I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

AM