IGNORED

Message Editing Temporarily Disabled

Albert

you sure you dont want to upgrade your server? I've got it just sitting here now.

The dual Itanium system sounds nice, although I'm not sure how it'd compare to the system the site is currently running on a 2Ghz P4 (and it's the only site running on the box). However, your machine does have considerably more RAM and a much larger hard drive. The hard drive space isn't as important as the RAM. If you want to send me a private message with more information, I'm willing to listen. :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
Did the edit come back last night ?

Its seems to be gone again and im sure I did make a edit to a post last night in "market place" before I went to bed ?  :?

Message editing is allowed in the marketplace only (still is right now) :)

Mainly for people to update their trade/want lists, and the List of Recommended traders lists.

Did the edit come back last night ?

Its seems to be gone again and im sure I did make a edit to a post last night in "market place" before I went to bed ?  :?

No, it didn't come back. I am eagerly watching development of Invision, though. It's getting closer. :)

..Al

When you do upgrade, I hope you continue to keep all the old forum messages accessible; there's a huge wealth of info available here and it would be a shame for it all to disappear!  :sad:   My two cents...

Absolutely, it's very important to me that all the messages make the transition to the new software. We've already gone through this once when we switched from the original message forum software AtariAge was using (UBB) to phpBB two years ago. I spent a fair amount of time working on the forum conversion software to ensure a relatively smooth transition, and I will do the same with regards to a phpBB->IPB conversion.

..Al

Are you going to let Invision do the forum transfer?

My board is on: Invision Power Board(U) v1.3.1 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.

Mental note: When you do get on Invision, do NOT have the board backup more than once a week, if you select more than one day, it doesn backup at ALL. Nothing is mentioned about this.

Are you going to let Invision do the forum transfer?

No, I will do it myself. Their current convertor for phpBB->Invision 1.x does NOT convert the attachments, since that was a hack for phpBB. I actually modified their convertor to support attachments, and I will migrate that code over to the phpbb->IPB 2.0 convertor, once they release it. As soon as IPB 2.0 is out and they release their conversion utilities, I will be hot to trot. :D

Mental note: When you do get on Invision, do NOT have the board backup more than once a week, if you select more than one day, it doesn backup at ALL.  Nothing is mentioned about this.

I generally don't rely on built-in backup programs like that, it's better to use an external solution that backs up everything else as well, and you can have complete control over when the backups are made and where they are stored.

..Al

Is it just my computer or does it just take long to edit a message? It's been happening a lot lately.

Message Editing is very slow, which is why it is currently disabled. Actually, the main reason it's disabled is that it chews up server resources due to the poor design of the database queries, which can cause the site to slow down (especially if multiple people are editing messages at the same time, which happens often enough).

The good news is that we have begun testing the new forum software, which does not suffer from this problem. :)

..Al

• 3 months later...

I'm a webmaster, and i use Vbulletin, PHPBB, and Invision Power Board.

Invision has a clear and nice skin, and that's its the reason for his massive use. But,

1.- It's not free (free version, are really unstable)

2.- It's not 100% Compatible with the PHPBB Database

(you need to re-suscribe, repost count, etc.)

:roll: [/b]

I think Al's doing his best to make up for the incompatibility. I definitely like PHPBB better from a user perspective though... in particular, I have always found Invision's search features to be less cool than PHPBB's, but maybe that's changed in current releases.

I definitely would have gone the PHPBB2 + mods route myself, but I don't even run a board at present.

I'm a webmaster, and i use Vbulletin, PHPBB, and Invision Power Board.

Invision has a clear and nice skin, and that's its the reason for his massive use. But,

While IPB has a nice skin, I think it's become popular because for a while now it's had many more features than phpBB and is also faster than phpBB. I think phpBB has really fallen behind the times, and their development proceeds at a snail's pace (it's been over two years since the last major release of phpBB). If I was evaluating new forum software now, I'd be looking at either vBulletin or IPB. At this point in time, I happen to like IPB 2.0 better than vBulletin, but they are both nice.

1.- It's not free (free version, are really unstable)

If someone is willing to pay for a license for IPB (as we did), I don't see this as a disadvantage when comparing the two boards side-by-side. You get what you pay for. I have already taken advantage of IPB's support several times and have gotten timely responses to my issues. It's nice knowing that there are people being PAID to actually improve and update the forum software you are running, as well as provide support when you need it. Also, what do you mean that the free version of IBP is "really unstable"? I assume you are talking about the pre 2.0 versions of IPB? Can you cite some evidence to back up this claim?

2.- It's not 100% Compatible with the PHPBB Database

(you need to re-suscribe, repost count, etc.)

It's not compatible at all, but then every forum uses a completely different database structure. I don't see that as a legitimate knock against IPB, that's just the way things are. I am going through some effort to make sure the phpBB database is completely converted over to IPB so no posts will be lost and people will not have to create new accounts. I would not even think of moving to new forum software if the data could not be migrated. This will be a fairly painless migration for users as far as that is concerned.

..Al

• 1 month later...

In the meantime' date=' I'm going to see if I can patch the current software to improve the editing speed as a stopgap, as I don't like having to disable this feature for everyone.

..Al[/quote']

I believe the reason the search is so slow is that it first has to remove the doc id for all the words in the original message. While this is nice, it's completely unnecessary. Searches will continue to match the old message text before an edit, but who really cares? Axe that part of the code, and just add the doc id to the words from the edited message, and I think there will be significant speed improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this post. I was going to complain about the SLOOOOOW edit. Everything is alright speedwise except for the EDIT function. Takes me like 3 mins for the website to respond.

Can you migrate over to Invision 2.0 and keep all the messages?! Do we know that it will certaintly fix the problem?!

How about if you picked certain forums to "prune" automatically?! I Non-essential non-game forums like General or something.. or maybe even "Auctions" and "Marketplace" I mean.. after so long you can't view old auctions anyway.

Keep up the good work on the website. I enjoy it here and hope moving to a new server (if that isn't old news I read) will help, but that's only going to help for so long... what about a year or two down the road again when things get congested.