IGNORED

High Score Club Week 7: Missile Command!

Ze_ro

Hi guys,

We've decided, my wife and I, that if more than 2 folks roll or max out a score (for a particular game or game variation), there will be no patches awarded. This is for a couple of reasons, one of them being selfish on our part (we just don’t have the resources to make several patches for everyone) and another being for personal philosophical reasons (If too many folks can do it, than the game is too considered to easy and not challenging enough. I feel earning a patch should be a reword for an extraordinary challenge).

I agree that the HSC is meant to be more of a means to generate interest, than an official repository of Hi-Scores. We offered to do the patches for the same reasons, to bring back those feelings of nostalgia we all experienced back in the day.

-Lee

Sounds good Lee. :)

On another note, I hope all this talk about how 'easy' some games are doesn't prevent someone from picking a game they really like for game of the week. In this club, it really doesn't matter how many people can flip the score for a game. All that matters is having fun. :D

Jeff

On another note, I hope all this talk about how 'easy' some games are doesn't prevent someone from picking a game they really like for game of the week. In this club, it really doesn't matter how many people can flip the score for a game. All that matters is having fun.  

I completely agree. I would never ever "not" recommend Circus Atari, Missile Command, Megamania, etc.. These are all excellent classic games and are must haves in anyones 2600 gaming library. They are fun to pick up and play anytime.

BTW: I'm not convinced that most casual Atari 2600 players can roll or max out a score on some of these games. The folks in this Hi-Score club are unique and pretty damn good at these games to say the least. They are obvious devoted gameplayers as opposed to others who merely collect and casually play. The mere fact that one even gives these games a shot, means they are a bit more interested than the average Atari 2600 fanatic.

-Lee

Alright Lee has spoken and it is not in the pro-endurance gamers favor. And it appears that most of the high score club seems to be in favor limiting the scores to one flip. Well I do have one more proposition that may not of been thought about and I would like hear people's opinion's. Most video games will give the player an unlimited amount of extra men, but their are certain games that at a certain point they stop giving you extra men altogether. I am not talking about Megamania because that did give you extra men just as long as you did not have six men. I believe with these type of games actually do have skill required no matter what the person's score. The reason being is that if you die their is no way of getting that man back. I believe that me and stayrunner have made some valid points and I believe there are probably others who feel this way who are not as vocal. So I think this would be a good coprimise.

Alright Lee has spoken and it is not in the pro-endurance gamers favor.  And it appears that most of the high score club seems to be in favor limiting the scores to one flip.   Well I do have one more proposition that may not of been thought about and I would like hear people's opinion's.  Most video games will give the player an unlimited amount of extra men, but their are certain games that at a certain point they stop giving you extra men altogether.  I am not talking about Megamania because that did give you extra men just as long as you did not have six men.  I believe with these type of games actually do have skill required no matter what the person's score.  The reason being is that if you die their is no way of getting that man back.    I believe that me and stayrunner have made some valid points and I believe there are probably others who feel this way who are not as vocal.  So I think this would be a good coprimise.

I do not understand your point.

Unless you are saying you think that if two or more people are rolling scores on games that stop giving extra men after a certain point that a patch should be awarded.

If that is they case, then I agree.

At the very least I would like to see lee design a patch (even if one is not made) for each game.

As for lee deciding not in the pro-endurance gamers favor, your right. He was doing it in his favor. After all it is him and his wifes time that is being taken making these patches.

I think people still want to keep the fun in this rather than turning it into a chore.

I not talking about that patch in this case. I am talking more about the point scale. Let me repeat If you can flip the lets say twice instead of once on a game that stops awarding extra men at a certain point then you probably have a lot more skill than the person who can flip it once. For the games that stop giving you extra men, it would become extremly difficult to play the game for a long period. Odds are the person would not have to play the game for a period of 10 straight hours to get the high score. If the person could stay alive long enough for just 3 or 4 hours their would be a good possibitlity he or she could get the high score. If you look at the Marathon records for games they were all played on games that gave extra men continually. I am talking about a game like Galaxian where you only get one extra guy for the whole entire game. I am saying the person who has the highest score on this type of game should get the 12 points and no one else.

oh by the way my new score is 43140

2,370,500 here. I'm way out of practice.

As a kid I took Missile Command to the limit. Sometime after the 30th rollover the game starts moving at an absolute crawl. Would that be software-related or was the system freaking out after too many hours of play?

2,370,500 here.  I'm way out of practice.

As a kid I took Missile Command to the limit.  Sometime after the 30th rollover the game starts moving at an absolute crawl.  Would that be software-related or was the system freaking out after too many hours of play?

I don't think game 16 ever slows down, it goes at a pretty constant speed. :ponder:

I finally got a chance to play again tonight and was hoping to roll the score this time, but I came up a little shy. My new high for game 16 is 819,030. :)

I hope someone picks a short game like barnstorming next. :lol:

Jeff

post-1375-1085370660_thumb.jpg

At the very least I would like to see lee design a patch (even if one is not made) for each game.

I will do that and I will post all who won that week on my site ;)

BTW: I am on vaction starting this friday, so if someone can give me a heads up on next weeks game I will make a patch design for that before I leave (I promise not to tell). I will not be back until June 7th-8th. I've got a big trek planned in Northern British Columbia for 9 days :)

Regards,

-Lee

Alright, time's up everyone! This week's edition of the High Score Club has ended! I hope everyone enjoyed Missile Command (Frankly, I'm a little glad it's over... I've never been a big fan of Missile Command).

Congratulations to everyone for their amazing scores! I hope you all come back for next week's game, which I'll post shortly!

--Zero

I don't think game 16 ever slows down, it goes at a pretty constant speed.

I don't know what variation I played during my legendary marathon session (legendary because it caused my family to think I had a problem with excessive game-playing), probably an easier one like 13. But somewhere around 30 million that game started running so slow that it nearly stopped.

I don't think game 16 ever slows down, it goes at a pretty constant speed.

I don't know what variation I played during my legendary marathon session (legendary because it caused my family to think I had a problem with excessive game-playing), probably an easier one like 13. But somewhere around 30 million that game started running so slow that it nearly stopped.

Hehehe. I used to play and flip missile command constantly. Luckily my family never complained.