IGNORED

montezumas revenge ending?

memorymoog

Is there an actuall ending to this game on the 2600? I heard that at the end panama joe keeps falling in the treasure chamber, while being stripped of his jewels. Or, is this the ending for the 5200 version. What other variations are there between the 2600 and 5200 versions?

There is no end to the VCS version that I recall. I only remember that after completing a stage you'd fall down while trying to collect as many gems and gold bars as you could along the way. In the end you'd land and start a new level.

The 5200/8-Bit versions were very different; the levels were much, much larger. In fact, I remember coming across a giant, foot-stomping statue of Montezuma in this version, and never figured out what to go with him.

It's possible that this existed only on the 48k 8-bit version and not the 5200 version. The 16k 5200 cartrige was shorter -- no title screen or music, and had more in common with the VCS version, though it was still larger by comparison.

Anyway, I don't quite remember where Montezuma was, except that it was somewhere very deep in the maze, and was somewhere off to the left, I think. (It's been a very long time. :-)