IGNORED

Any device to dump Roms without open the cartridge ?

khryssun

I'm not sure what you're asking. You don't have to open a cartridge to dump a ROM. Our dumper is a modified 7800 with a custom parallel cable that connects to the 2-player joystick port. There are plans on the net to help you build your own.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

I'm not sure what you're asking. You don't have to open a cartridge to dump a ROM. Our dumper is a modified 7800 with a custom parallel cable that connects to the 2-player joystick port. There are plans on the net to help you build your own.

Cool! I had no idea this existed! Is the 7800 still usable after the modification? (That is, does it still PLAY games?)

--Zero

Ze_Ro:

Yes...My 7800 is modded in this fashion an it still plays all the games it ever did before. The original Version 1 of the DevOS bios did have an issue involving the Joyport 2 not resetting or something. But I haven't had any problems with using my Joystick port 2 on my unit even when I was dumping games.

The only thing that you will miss is the ease of use for the 7800. Now evertime I stick a cart into the 7800 and power it on. I have to specify if it is a 7800 game I want to play, a 2600 game I want to play or if I want to transfer data. So I have to use my select and reset switches quite a bit more now than I used to.

Speaking of this...Eckhart:

Have you ever thought of programming the bios to allow the Joystick to be used to navigate that thing and use the fire button to select which mode you want?

Anyway, back to the subject. You can still use the 7800 in a normal fashion for the playing of games. You won't get the pallette scrolling Atari Logo screen before each game anymore, and you have that menu you have to select which game you want. But otherwise, it is still a fully working 7800.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Speaking of this...Eckhart:

Have you ever thought of programming the bios to allow the Joystick to be used to navigate that thing and use the fire button to select which mode you want?

The design goal was to make the transfer as easy as possible, so since I always had to take the 7800 over to my Computer, that tangeling joystick cable was always in the way. And since having the menu required one of the inputs to be in a certain state at the start of the game, I thought the reset switch would be the least problematical for most games.

But if there really is demand for this, I guess I could add additional joystick support for the menu.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by Eckhard Stolberg:

The design goal was to make the transfer as easy as possible, so since I always had to take the 7800 over to my Computer, that tangeling joystick cable was always in the way. And since having the menu required one of the inputs to be in a certain state at the start of the game, I thought the reset switch would be the least problematical for most games.

Having dragged around a 7800 all over the place in the last month, I just want to say that not having to use a joystick has been a blessing. I've had to dump many games without the benefit of a television, so simply turning the 7800 on and pressing the RESET button couldn't be any easier. Then I start the dump on the PC (usually my laptop) and when it finishes I can test the dump in an emulator. Thus I haven't needed a joystick or a TV. This has worked very well for me thus far.

So if you do add joystick support, please don't change the way 7800ctrl presently works.

..Al