IGNORED

Any good PAL rarity list ?

khryssun

I'm in the UK and ALL I have are PAL carts! I had heard about the Digital Press guide and got one of those and it's been great. I've asked DP to put that PAL list online and Joe stated that it's a possibility. Unfortunately the Guides are impossible to get at this time (sold out, I think) but with a little more persuasion he might go for putting that PAL section online. Start a petition!

DP is at www.digitpress.com and their email address is digitalpress@email.com

Don't forget Chris Hinds and myselfs UK release list:

UK release list

A PAL rarity list is really quite impossible to achieve accurately as many games received different volumes of distribution in different countries. Hence to label a certain PAL game "ER" may apply in Germany but then it could be "U" in the UK. Then again, what about Commavid releases? These saw distribution in PAL on mainland Europe but never made it to the UK. To label one of these games ER/UR would be misleading to any new collector in the UK as they would be under the impression that they could find it if they looked hard enough.

The NTSC list only works really because its based in one (or two) countries - then again it can still be wide off the mark because distribution of games could have been centred around the East coast or West Coast or wherever. As an example, it seems that Exus release(s) (Reflex & Jogger with the mat) seem to be found more often in the Florida area.

I appreciate that when you first start collecting you need some sort of guide to help you out, but it really is better to work it out for yourself. You soon get to recognise how hard a cart is to find. Watch your countries auctions (in my case Ebay UK), ask other collectors and use your eyes when out hunting!

Cheers

Steve Rich

well, here it is ... globalisation rolling over us .... i guess you can't make lists just for one country.

it's the same in america: while gas hog had a low release in the us, it was quite a common title in canada (or let's say as uncommon as in germany)

there's just so many "rare" carts that pops up regularly 3-4 times a month on ebay. that's not what i would call rare. we need a redefinition, based on the release infos.

for example dukes of hazzard: i made a trade where the cart was valued 70$, i've seen it for 30$-100$ at ebay, and best sold them for 60$ i think ... well i did some research and found out that probably 10000 of these boards were produced back then from atari.

so here for example: i think that dukes was rare, before best found the prodution boards, cased and sold them ... nobody qualifies Hozer games as rare, and Best have done even less work on their carts.

after all, i think the dukes cart is not worth more than 20$. those who paid the full price might not want to hear that, sorry

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

well, much better than the DP is the basefile from

That's an interesting statement - what makes it better? Keep in mind that Marco and Roloff worked with these guys to fill in the cracks for DP Guide 6!

Well since there are so many great PAL lists online I guess I won't need to put the DP one out there. There's a very good chance that DP Guide 7 will be online, by the way.

well, having the fact that the DP guide is sold out (and nearly unpayable for euro-collectors) and that there's no online-informations, i'd say gamereset.de is better (surely just for PAL carts, not for NTSC).

i guess i like to argue about it, just because i couldn't get myself one ...

also the DPG is a multisystem thing, while gamereset is a 2600 site ...

i have worked and helped filling the wholes at gamereset (you'll find me in the credits) and i am sure marko also helped out for the brazilian section ...

i plan to make a 2600 PAL GUIDE, and i'd actually would like to see that section from the DP guide. i'll meet marco, roloff, marc o. and more people at the eurocon2001 and i'll have my rough piece together by then to fill the holes with them ...

As i don't really like the concept of the DP guide (sold out, no online listings) i plan to make it online too, only with no pics ... while you can order an extra guide in full color with pics ... you really should put it online as you plan.

i think most lists are incomplete, and while surfing on other pages or ebay, i any pick information whereever i can. .... i buy any catalog i don't have to find out about variations, unreleased games, ..... i have a filemaker database growing day to day and a sarchieve of more than 5000 pics ( i haven't even started with the common carts & stuff yet)

i'd be really interested to see what's noted on the DP pal section. would you mail me the listing section?

also, not just to criticise you ... ... the printing of a set guides is surely expensive and probably the reason why you haven't reprinted ... i think we should put all our efforts together (and our infos) and make a fully pictures complete 2600 guide.

we should try to get support from companies like activision or atari ... they should help financing this stuff.

i bet a lot of collectors know more about the atari or activision company history than any employed person does!

i lended my patches to ken from activision, he's maybe a good person to find out who and where i can contact for that matter .... i am sending him a mail today ... their new collector package they are planning could be advertised in the guide, also atari/playstation's new arcade-releases could be advertised in there. it wouldn't be off-topic, and two adds from those companies could allready finance the whole printing ...

as i am french, i'll also make a few calls to infogames directly in france ... and i may get a good contact to sony/playstation through an agency that worked for them ...

if anybody else knows people from those companies and can help me with contact adresses or emails, feel free to get back to me

to spacefury: i'll contact you to see if we may combine future plans ...

greetings