IGNORED

What Game Was That? (CGE Pics)

Tempest

in case anybody wonders what the red arabian atari stickers are, that's one of my creations ;-)

after finding an arabian atari-logo, i just could couldn't resist printing them while i was doing some stickers at work anyway and there was some room left for those small stickers....

while i give them away as gift in trades, some drunken collectors wasted up to 10 dollars for it ...

another funny thing was .... i bought some stuff from worldofatari.com and sent a bunch of those stickers as gift with the payment. now guess what? they came back with a note that he doesn't need them !?!?! was he afraid i would ask something for it? or doesn't he take bootleg-items, not even for free?

i didn't really care, but the best thing was: they came back, sealed along with a worldofatari.com-card. it's a nice-looking set that i have in my collection now

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Oh wow! How did I miss seeing that one. Who owns it and are they going to dump it?

It was sold on Ebay a year or two ago - how did you miss it?

In fact, I think it is the highest selling 2600 prototype on Ebay to date (there have been more expensive ones off Ebay).

I'm sure it will get released some day (it has been dumped). From what I understand, the game isn't very playable (somewhat like Miss Piggy's Wedding) so you players out there aren't missing much

Cheers,

Marco

Not sure about the reserve. I know the seller happily sold it for the highest bid at the end of the auction, somewhere around $1400.

I think the really high reserve was set on Telepathy. The seller was treated to heaps of negative posts on r.g.v.c. because he so obviously was in it for the money only, and didn't care much about the identity/history of the game.

It went up to $1100, reserve not met. It was sold to the high bidder too, but for a little more than his bid.

Cheers,

Marco

That's right, it was Telepathy that had the outrageous reserve. Still $1400 isn't bad for a one of a kind proto. Of course it's only one of a kind until someone else finds another one, that usually happens about a year after. lots of times people have another copy but don't come forward because they don't know what they have or don't have internet access. I wonder how many of these one of a kinds are really 3 or 5 of a kind?

Tempest

Interesting question. I have often wondered how many loaners Atari made, at the minimum. I mean, just one sounds a little weird. If the game was far enough to be tested/played by others my guess would be that they made at least a handful of copies. But that's just guessing. Anyone have any facts on this?

Cheers,

Marco

<<

Interesting question. I have often wondered how many loaners Atari made, at the minimum. I mean, just one sounds a little weird. If the game was far enough to be tested/played by others my guess would be that they made at least a handful of copies. But that's just guessing. Anyone have any facts on this?

>>

I would speculate that protos are far less likely to be trashed than other cartridges. As such, if you believe that any unfinished game exists in multiple copies (which is likely) then there is a pretty good chance that the owners of another copy will surface, as the hobby becomes more mainstream and the owners realize they have something of historic importance that should be archived and shared.