IGNORED

HELP! Can't Hook up my ODYSSEY 2!

Hey guys!

After years of apartment hell, I've finally moved into a new house (gaming room: coming soon). I came across one of my ODYSSEY 2 systems, and the older multicart. I was psyched! I had the power cord, etc. As fasr as I can remember, the system was working.

I went to Radio Shack, and bought an adapter (i.e. the one to hook up the old-style antenna lines to a cable-ready plug).

When I plugged it in, I got static. Fidgeting the TV plug around, I did see through the snow on screen to read the famous "SELECT GAME" message. Still, it was not clear! I was so mad ...

I tried the TV upstairs, but no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Again, what I am doing is:

Taking the 02 cord, and plugging it into an old (I think it came with the 2600) adapter, and then scrweeing the wires into a VHF cable-ready adapter and plugging it into the back of the TV. Then, I'm plugging in the 02, putting the TV on channel 3, etc.

Any help would be truly appreciated! I wanna play KC Munchkin with my kid! Feel free to mail me as well!

Ron

ron@ronalbanese.com

I hook mine up through the same switch box that I use for my VCS so that's not an issue. If you've tried another switch box and it's still not working there may be a problem with your O2's RF modulator. On the chance that both switch boxes you tried are both bad you might try buying a new one at Radio Shack and giving that a go.

-S

I am in the UK and have a Philips VideoPac, almost the same machine exactly.

I found that my video pac operated on an entirely differnt UHF freque ncey to all my other machines altogether, and that I had to tune it in specially on its own chanell.

I had to modify mine with a new switch box to get it to work. It involved cutting and splicing wires, and lots of testing. I still have it hooked up with two switch boxes, go odyseey 2.

:ponder: Why not just "unhook" the cable from inside the unit? replace with a standard rca & switchbox? Would seem an easier task than splicing wires..

You didn't by chance buy an automatic RF switch, did you? A lot of the older systems (such as the Atari 2600 and Odyssey^2) don't put out a strong enough signal to trigger the switches in the automatic models, which might cause what you've described. You HAVE to have a switch box that has a manual switch.

In case that's what you already have, you might want to try opening up the system and making sure that the RF cord is firmly attached to the motherboard. I've never heard of one coming loose before, but if it's been banged around or something, I suppose it's possible that the cord has become disconnected or perhaps even broken. It's fairly easy to replace... no soldering or anything like that required.

Failing all that, it sounds to me like the signal is just too weak. You might want to try using a video amplifier (You can probably find one of these at an electronics store like Radio Shack). I'm not sure what the price on those things are though.

--Zero