IGNORED

Hubot Robot with Atari TV Radio and Computer

Alex

So, anyone know anything else about this little Atari robot? I searched on Google and I found another one that's at Moffett field. It looks like the Moffet Hubot also has an Atari 2600 unit built into it, you can just make out the chrome switches.

When I first saw the Hubot on Ebay, I figured it was just someones cool hack. But maybe this company marketed it with the 2600. Anyone know?

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Alex ]

I searched on Google and I found another one that's at Moffett field.  

Is that Moffet Field as in where NASA's Ames Research Center is located? That's less than a mile from where I live. There's a huge airshow there the weekend of August 11th and 12th, which I most certainly would have attended if CGE wasn't the same weekend.

I did some searching on DejaNe--Uhhhr, uhmm, Google Groups and found some more info. Apparently it contains a CP/M system, a TV, stereo system and Atari 2600. You could run all sorts of CP/M programs, play games, type of letters, etc. When you were using it as a robot, apparently it displayed some sort of face on the screen. Looks like it might have been made by a company called Everyday Electronics.

Without spending too much time that's what I've unearthed thus far.

..Al

Some snippets I found...

There's Hubot, too, which comes with a television screen face, flashing lights and a computer keyboard that pulls out from its stomach. Hubot moves at a pace of 30 cm per second and can function as a burglar alarm and a wake up service.

There is a better (larger) picture that seems to be taken from a magazine at

this page.

There's mention of it in this story, which references this collection.

According to this article, Hubot was produced in 1981 by the Hubotics Corporation. It states:

The mobile Hubot (Hubotics Corporation, 1981) was designed for home use and was advertised as "the first home robot that's a personal companion, educator, entertainer and sentry ...and he can talk!" The ads for Hubot also pointed out that he could function as a personal computer, with 128k memory, disk drive, and keyboard.

It is also discussed in this online pdf document. (Note - you'll need Acrobat Reader to view this, and it is a BIG file.)

About half way down this page there is another picture of the Hubot, even though it seems to be a joke site.

This was just a quick search, but there is some interesting stuff out there. Ufortunately, I have yet to see mention of the Atari 2600 in coonjunction with the Hubot, but it is mentioned several times along with Androman, which happened to be another Nolan Bushnell project. There might be something there somewhere...

Good luck, Marco! I hope you win it.

One question, though... how are you planning on getting it from Florida all the way over to the Netherlands (that is where you live, right?)? Let me know if you have any good ideas for shipping stuff of this size overseas - that'd help out tons!

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

Good luck, Marco! I hope you win it.

Thanks for wishing me good luck, I'm pretty sure I will need it... :/

quote:

One question, though... how are you planning on getting it from Florida all the way over to the Netherlands (that
is
where you live, right?)? Let me know if you have any good ideas for shipping stuff of this size overseas - that'd help out tons!

I haven't figured that out yet. I know someone who lives relatively close to the seller's place, so he can pick it up for me. I'm going to take it from there, and take my time to figure out how I can get this to The Netherlands.

I know people that have shipped arcade cabinets across the Atlantic, so it can be done. I'm afraid it will turn out to be just a matter of how much you are willing to spend. I already told the guy that would pick it up for me that he was probably facing a long time of playing around with a nice Atari robot

Cheers,

Marco

I still think this is the creepiest 2600 I've ever seen. Actually it looks like they stuck a 4 switch 2600 into an empty spot they had. I wonder if it was standard equipment on these things or if it was a custom job?

I don't remember these being advertised in the 80's but I do remember another big home robot you could control. As I remember it was really really expensive and only rich kids with too much money had them. What the heck was the name of that thing? Something like Max 2000 or something similar...

Tempest

• 1 month later...

Since today seems to be "what does Marco have in his collection" day, I was reminded of this topic.

So, Marco. I suppose you haven't gotten to play with this thing yet (or have you?), but do you have any additional insight into it from whomever it was you had it shipped to? I'm curious!

You know i must get one of those things incase someone breaks in my house to steal my atari . ( you can never be too safe with kids today) . i wonder if it would wake up the police station next door that something was the matter. i would need a remote entery and door and window beams and all . how much you think a small sercuity system might cost. ( would be cool if that robot can fight off burglers also with some stick or wepon.

Hi Scott,

You're making me blush man, with all these posts about me...

... indeed the Hubot has not crossed the Atlantic yet. A friend of mine has picked it up and we are now investigating ways for getting this thing to Holland. From what we have found so far, it looks like shipping the battery alone will cost a small fortune...

However, it *will* be shipped, one way or another, and I'll keep you guys posted on this!

Regards,

Marco

Are you crazy!!!

Freight Shipping!!!...No no no no no no...

This Hubot it too rare an item for simple shipping methods like this. It should be handled as if it were an expensive import car being shipped overseas...or better than. I am sure that once the shipping routes get back on track..that Marco will make sure to get the thing to him in as quick and safest manner possible.

As for the security...hmm...I figure one really quick kick to the upper midsection..and it goes down. So fighting it wouldn't be too tough.

On the Androbot thing...didn't they have on in the show "Silver Spoons"? I know he has several Classic arcade uprights including Tempest. And I seem to remember them having a robot of some sort..and that it was the Androbot..or looked very similar to it.

anyway, good luck getting that thing to you Marco. BTW..have you had your buddy fire it up yet and see what does and does not work?