IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

• 1 month later...

Ok people. I'm attaching a new version. I was really hoping I'd have it completely finished by now, but sadly not. (I must have been insane thinking I'd get it done at this time of year.)

Anyhow, most stuff is in now. There's still some speech missing (stop sign, high score 3rd, 4th, 5th place and a couple of other odds and sods) and some of the level data is screwy/incomplete so we have an impossible blue section again - in the 2nd zone. The final game will have 9 zones. I'll leave it to you to work out what that's all about icon_smile.gif)

Merry Christmas,

Alex

Is this the latest build: mgd_201204.zip?

EDIT - I got the bin from the website. Although I had a hard time finding a link to the file. Thanks to another AA user who provided this: http://www.herbs64.plus.com/files/mgd.bin

Is this the latest build: mgd_201204.zip?EDIT - I got the bin from the website. Although I had a hard time finding a link to the file. Thanks to another AA user who provided this: http://www.herbs64.plus.com/files/mgd.bin

Did you get an AtariVox+, wongojack?

To still get an AtariVox+ see post 376, or check eBay for another option.

I still hope this gets officially released! Maybe when AtariAge Store sells AtariVox+, "Man Goes Down" will be sold on cart?

Anyone remember what's missing? Are certain objects not there?

I have played until it seems impossible and get killed, I filled the first and second row of objects, and the bubble is on the third row.

Any info, without spoilers please?!

Can you fill every "question mark" slot?

Someone must have got to where it "ends" or "glitches" because there is a hack to show, what? That there's nothing else?

Cheers to Alex Herbert for this hilarious, replayable 2600 game, and for programming Protector for Vectrex, the most beautiful and amazing code on cartridge to date!

• Like 1

As you play longer and longer, you will eventually run out of data, so there will be no more platforms.

It is a great game. I have played it for years. So much that I got burned out on it after reaching the end.

I would love to see it finished. But it would require some game design decisions to create more levels and fit them together.

No I did not. I thought that AtariVox was enabled in Stella, but as I played last night there were no voices. Maybe I need a more recent version of Stella?

The AtariVox/Savekey emulation in Stella applies only to saving/loading to EEPROM. Stella will 'talk' to an AVox and send data over a serial port, causing voices to be produced. But it doesn't emulate the generation of sound itself; you still need the actual AVox hardware.

See the following in the Stella manual.

• Like 1

Hello people!

Since I've already spilt the beans about my new game in another thread, I thought I'd post a little update.

For those who don't know, I've been writing homebrews for the Vectrex for a little while, Protector (Defender clone, nothing to do with the Jag game of the same title) probably being the most well known. Anyway, tucked away in the initial limited edition release of Protector was a hidden bonus game Spike Goes Down, a game which is well suited to the Atari 2600 hardware.

So, I recently started work on the 2600 version (title tbc) and here's how it's looking so far...

I've only just started putting in level data, so you can't get very far. (Blue level will finish you off.) With regard to the collectible objects, picking up 4 fruits in sequence will open up the power-ups. (I haven't drawn the 4th fruit yet, so for now it shows as a bronze question mark). The skateboard increases speed (on the x-axis) for a short time - good for negotiating levels with long platforms/small gaps. The down arrow increases gravity slightly - you need to collect several of them to really feel the effect. The red stop sign temporarily slows the scrolling, the silver question mark doesn't do anything yet. Miss a fruit or power-up and you have to start back at fruit 1. I'll almost certainly change the way this works, and the stop sign doesn't really do much for the gameplay so I'll probably ditch that.

All feedback welcome.

Alex

you wrote protector for the vectrex?! thats awesome! i recently bought several homebrews from classicgamecreations.com, protector/y.a.s.i being on of them. i was amazingly impressed with the quality of these titles! i honestly couldn't stop playing protector, (aka defender) which i haven't played that much before. so i guess you could say its a great way to be introduced to the game defender :)

As you play longer and longer, you will eventually run out of data, so there will be no more platforms.

It is a great game. I have played it for years. So much that I got burned out on it after reaching the end.

I would love to see it finished. But it would require some game design decisions to create more levels and fit them together.

Actually, if you grab a helipack or bubble before "the big void", you can continue on longer until the game starts loading registers and ram segments as data. At that point the ever-shifting impassible platforms of death kill you.

I've kicked around the idea of disassembling it and finishing the game off. I promise that I have enough love and reverence for the game to do a great job. The problem is, it's Alex's homebrew and nobody should release it but him unless he authorizes it, or its confirmed that he's on the big platform in the sky.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, if you grab a helipack or bubble before "the big void", you can continue on longer until the game starts loading registers and ram segments as data. At that point the ever-shifting impassible platforms of death kill you.

I've kicked around the idea of disassembling it and finishing the game off. I promise that I have enough love and reverence for the game to do a great job. The problem is, it's Alex's homebrew and nobody should release it but him unless he authorizes it, or its confirmed that he's on the big platform in the sky.

Alex hasn't been around for years unfortunately. I think it would be safe to disassemble the code, complete the game, and give it some kind of subtitle to show that it wasn't completed by Alex. If Alex shows up in the future, then you could cross that bridge if and when it happens. I absolutely love this game and would love to see it completed.

-mike

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really hope that all's well with Alex and that he's happy and healthy. It's always distressing to hear of others' plights but not hearing the outcome... :(

Me too.

This is a great homebrew and Alex is one of the best homebrew programmer.

He know how to code, draw graphics and compose musics.

Perhaps somebody from UK can find information about him?

• Like 1

Alex hasn't been around for years unfortunately. I think it would be safe to disassemble the code, complete the game, and give it some kind of subtitle to show that it wasn't completed by Alex. If Alex shows up in the future, then you could cross that bridge if and when it happens. I absolutely love this game and would love to see it completed.

-mike

After seeing this thread over and over I'd go this route. Maybe I could be a community project and any royalties that would normally go to the author/creator could all be donated to an agreed charity by the community on the initial release? IDK :P

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

at

http://www.herbs64.plus.com/

there is a news update from this month.

Nov 2014

Thanks to David Flemming at Packrat Video Games, Protector and Y*A*S*I cartridges are available again!

I'm just mentioning this as a few of us seem to be curious as to his disappearance and the hope that it isn't a health related issue, etc... As for his site and a news update this month I guess there is hope that Alex is at least ok. Whether he gets back to this game is unknown sadly. :(

Edited by Draugr
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...