IGNORED

High Score Club Week 16: Taz

Ze_ro

Gah... i got to go to work. Anyone finding this game a bit uneven on the controls? like up one time won't move you up' date=' but the next time it takes you up two. Oh well. I'm off to work, here's my latest score, a nice even 64,000.[/quote']

It's a bugger isn't it? I've lost count of the number of times I've died from moving two levels instead of one, or just sitting there instead of moving at all. I've tried both Stella 1.4 and Z26 but the problem is there on both.

Gah... i got to go to work. Anyone finding this game a bit uneven on the controls? like up one time won't move you up' date=' but the next time it takes you up two. Oh well. I'm off to work' date=' here's my latest score, a nice even 64,000.[/quote'']

It's a bugger isn't it? I've lost count of the number of times I've died from moving two levels instead of one, or just sitting there instead of moving at all. I've tried both Stella 1.4 and Z26 but the problem is there on both.

Want to hear something ironic? My mom shipped off my games from home the other day... its gonna take two weeks for it to get here, and guess what's in the package... Taz. Yep, that's my luck.

Yes! Taz is a fun game!

Tips:

When things speed up after the Frenzy Stage, you don't want to pull up or down on the joystick. Instead, TAP the joystick up and down so you can better control your movement up and down.

Tip 2:

In the fast stages, I find it best to stay within 2 to 3 rows. Don't even worry about the other rows, just focus on the 2 or 3 and in time you will eat enough food points to advance to the next round. Remember to TAP up and down on the joystick!

I will post a score sooner or later, these tips are from playing the game in the past and have helped me acheive very high scores (watch out Todd! ;) )

Is a screenshot required

If you can't and you have a digital camera, just take a pic of the pc screen, that'll be the simplest idea. I'm using my video card and displaying on my tv, then playing it like it should, except for the whole emulator problem of sometimes taz doesn't move, and sometimes it goes 2 when you want it to go 1. Question, does PCAE fix that?

First score for this week: 169,500

Oh, one more Tip that I forgot...

Once you hit the Crazed Wave, keep your cool for the first few seconds until your eyes adjust to the speed of the moving objects, in other words, DON'T PANIC!

TIP:

Once you get into the groove of staying withion 3 rows, (I prefer the bottom 3), if a stick of Dynamite appears in the row you are in, move away from it horizontally (you will always move faster) then wait for a safe opening up or down one row to escape it, preferrably into a row with food in it!

On the faster levels I try to use either the top or bottom row as a base so that I can only accidentally move too far in one direction, plus I try to time my moves (whenever possible) so that if I do accidentally move too far there isn't anything in the next row to hit.

If you can't and you have a digital camera' date=' just take a pic of the pc screen, that'll be the simplest idea. I'm using my video card and displaying on my tv, then playing it like it should, except for the whole emulator problem of sometimes taz doesn't move, and sometimes it goes 2 when you want it to go 1. Question, does PCAE fix that?[/quote']No, I don't have a digital camera, I still like my 3.5mm :) . PCAE doesn't fix this problem, too bad it won't fit onto a Supercharger.

If you can't and you have a digital camera' date=' just take a pic of the pc screen' date=' that'll be the simplest idea. I'm using my video card and displaying on my tv, then playing it like it should, except for the whole emulator problem of sometimes taz doesn't move, and sometimes it goes 2 when you want it to go 1. Question, does PCAE fix that?[/quote'']No, I don't have a digital camera, I still like my 3.5mm :) . PCAE doesn't fix this problem, too bad it won't fit onto a Supercharger.

question: what version of PCAE are you running? Ihave pcaewin2.6 and that allows you to save screen shots.

You tried the ROM' date=' right? Remember how you said about PAL games running slower? Games run automatically in NTSC... so if Asterix is PAL, then it would run faster. Force PAL on Asterix and see what happens.[/quote']

You are right, sometimes I speak before thiking :roll:

As lee, for those wondering about the difference about NTSC/PAL Games speed just some infos :

- TV frequency is different 60 Hz NTSC / 50 Hz PAL and the number of lines to be displayed too 262 NTSC / 312 PAL.

- NTSC Games code is modified to run on PAL systems at the same speed than on NTCS VCS and vice-versa (technically fraction tables are used to control the speed of the moving objects, so the translation is easy from one system to anothe to obtain the same speed).... So:

- For a same game : the NTSC Cart runs on a NTSC VCS at the same speed that a PAL Cart on a PAL VCS : no advantage.

- A PAL cart will run faster on a NTSC VCS than on a PAL VCS.

- A NTSC cart will run slower on a PAL VCS than on a NTSC one.

Hope this'll help ;)

- NTSC Games code is modified to run on PAL systems at the same speed than on NTCS VCS and vice-versa

That's not necessarily true I'm afraid. It's quite possible that when Atari created Asterix, the only PAL modifications they did was add the extra scanlines in. Since the speed difference would only be apparent to the handful of hardcore people who owned both games. I don't know if this is what Atari did or not, but compensating for the speed difference would have been a lot more work.

In fact, I think the Master System had particular issues with this, where the European versions of some games just ran slower.

--Zero

If you can't and you have a digital camera' date=' just take a pic of the pc screen' date=' that'll be the simplest idea. I'm using my video card and displaying on my tv, then playing it like it should, except for the whole emulator problem of sometimes taz doesn't move, and sometimes it goes 2 when you want it to go 1. Question, does PCAE fix that?[/quote'']No, I don't have a digital camera, I still like my 3.5mm :) . PCAE doesn't fix this problem, too bad it won't fit onto a Supercharger.

question: what version of PCAE are you running? Ihave pcaewin2.6 and that allows you to save screen shots.

It's not a problem, I just pushed the wrong button, instead of Print Screen.

Tip: Being i'm a spaz at times, I just can't be contained in 3 rows. If you can't do it either, this is what you can do on the craze levels. Chomp down on food, then being the score is on the screen, you're safe from that row until the score is gone. Wait until you can make a good sweep say from bottom to top. Wait, and repeat. That's how I got my score.

- NTSC Games code is modified to run on PAL systems at the same speed than on NTCS VCS and vice-versa

That's not necessarily true I'm afraid. It's quite possible that when Atari created Asterix' date=' the only PAL modifications they did was add the extra scanlines in. Since the speed difference would only be apparent to the handful of hardcore people who owned both games. I don't know if this is what Atari did or not, but compensating for the speed difference would have been a lot more work.

In fact, I think the Master System had particular issues with this, where the European versions of some games just ran slower.

--Zero[/quote']

I agree with you... I was talking in a general way for the majority of a same game Title not for adaptations from one game to another where I don't know what they really did ;)

Hey malc' date=' just wanted to let ya know, control isn't that much better on the real atari.[/quote']

Heh. Well at least that means I don't need to run around looking for a copy of the game, and either a power supply for the Gemini I bought or a multisystem TV to run my PAL 2600Jr on.

Tip: Being i'm a spaz at times' date=' I just can't be contained in 3 rows. If you can't do it either, this is what you can do on the craze levels. Chomp down on food, then being the score is on the screen, you're safe from that row until the score is gone. Wait until you can make a good sweep say from bottom to top. Wait, and repeat. That's how I got my score.[/quote']

I noticed that as well, at least on the early craze levels where the score stays on the screen for a while. On the later levels I tend to stick to the top two or three rows, but you definitely need patience - there's always the urge to go charging around the screen after food which usually results in instant death for me.